Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

Question re: parking at parks before check-in?

Wondering if anyone has done this before - we are staying onsite at Villas @WL, will be driving in from Tampa after a cruise. This will all be over spring break, and we want to hit the parks as early as possible given the crowds. From what I understand, there is a fee for parking at the parks, unless you stay on-site. Is there any chance if we show the park attendants our on-site lodging reservation (even though we would not have checked in yet), that they will waive the parking fee? Or, would VWL perhaps reimburse us for the parking fee once we check in later that day/evening? Thanks for your help!
Disney resorts: Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans French Quarter (twice), Pop Century, Coronado Springs, Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, and a few off-site hotels too.
Did our FIRST Disney Cruise Spring Break 2010.

tmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I think you need to plan to pay for parking or check in first.
There is a chance that they will waive the parking fee after viewing your reservation, but there is a chance they won't.
I don't know why you would even think that the VWL would reimburse you the cost. After all it is your choice to not check in first. Checking in will avoid the cost altogether.
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

It's actually worth a try.

Last time we stayed off-site, we paid for parking, then went to Guest Services and upgraded our tickets to AP's. We showed the CM our parking receipt, which was then credited towards the AP's.

It's not such a dissimilar situation to the OP's- I think they'd probably let you in with your reservation, but if not, you would almost certainly be able to get the fee credited back to you later that day.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
I think you need to plan to pay for parking or check in first.
There is a chance that they will waive the parking fee after viewing your reservation, but there is a chance they won't.
I don't know why you would even think that the VWL would reimburse you the cost. After all it is your choice to not check in first. Checking in will avoid the cost altogether.
We'll deal with paying if we need to. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to get people's thoughts on the subject here, based on any prior experience. Thanks.
Disney resorts: Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans French Quarter (twice), Pop Century, Coronado Springs, Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, and a few off-site hotels too.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
It's actually worth a try.

Last time we stayed off-site, we paid for parking, then went to Guest Services and upgraded our tickets to AP's. We showed the CM our parking receipt, which was then credited towards the AP's.

It's not such a dissimilar situation to the OP's- I think they'd probably let you in with your reservation, but if not, you would almost certainly be able to get the fee credited back to you later that day.
OK. We might give it a whirl. Thanks for responding.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
I don't know why you would even think that the VWL would reimburse you the cost. After all it is your choice to not check in first.
I assume the OP might think that WDW would reimburse his/her cost because parking is complimentary when you stay at an on-site resort. And the OP might think the CMs would work to accommodate him/her because Disney World is one of the most customer-service-oriented places on the planet.

It seems perfectly logical to me. What doesn't seem logical is a person taking the time to "answer" a question on a theme parks forum simply by being snide about it.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Let the know when you go through the toll plaza. They will tell you what to do. It's likely your reservation papers will be good enough so have those ready. As it is you go through those same gates to get to VWL.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

I can tell you that when we purchased our APs we were reimbursed for parking on the day we purchased. We didn't even ask, the CM at the ticket window asked us if we payed and she said to take your parking ticket and AP to Guest Services and they would reimburse. It was a totally easy process.

Now I don't know what they do in regards to hotel bookings, but I just wanted to say they will reimburse for parking.
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
I assume the OP might think that WDW would reimburse his/her cost because parking is complimentary when you stay at an on-site resort. And the OP might think the CMs would work to accommodate him/her because Disney World is one of the most customer-service-oriented places on the planet.

It seems perfectly logical to me. What doesn't seem logical is a person taking the time to "answer" a question on a theme parks forum simply by being snide about it.
Sorry you took it as snide, that certainly wasn't my intent. Nor did I personally attack - as you did!!

I honsetly can not understand the question.
Disney is a publically traded company, and as such it has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to make money. And the Resorts division is a different division than the theme park division. The resorts division does not collect the parking fees and would have no ability to refund the fee it never collected. Perhaps the theme park division would if the OP tried.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

just go to V@WL and park there. Your name will be on the docket for checking in that day.

Take the bus or boat from WL. DONE!
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
just go to V@WL and park there. Your name will be on the docket for checking in that day.

Take the bus or boat from WL. DONE!
This is a great idea. Then you don't have to deal with MK parking, parking lot trams, and the ferry or monorail.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
buzzmom12
Mouseketeer

Do you have to pick up your tickets at the hotel anyway? I know when we get there we have to check in first so we can get our tix which we buy as a package. Or are you ap? You may be able to get in with the reservation. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmom12 View Post
Do you have to pick up your tickets at the hotel anyway?

1- I know when we get there we have to check in first so we can get our tix which we buy as a package.

2- Or are you ap?
1- That's correct for package tickets.

2- Can't be AP. AP allows free parking, on it's own.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

1. Since you have a reservation for VWL that day, if you are going to MK stay to the far right toll booths and just say you are checking in and they should waive the fee.

2. At any of the other Parks they do not have any Resorts inside of the toll plaza so they will not waive the fee.

3. Since you can check in to the Resort as early as 6:00am, even if your room is not ready, you can get a parking pass or use Disney Transportation. The only way they will do a fee reimbursement is if it is the MK toll plaza since you should not have been charged there. And if your room is not ready, you are much safer leaving your luggage with Bell Services rather than in your car.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
Let the know when you go through the toll plaza. They will tell you what to do. It's likely your reservation papers will be good enough so have those ready. As it is you go through those same gates to get to VWL.

Liz
This was exactly my experience last month. The CM waved me through.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: