Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
srferson
DIS Veteran

Castaway Cay Parasailing... worth the $$??

Thread title says it all, really.

$80 for 4-5 minutes in the air. Is it worth it?

srferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by srferson View Post

I did this excursion last August and it was awesome, worth every penny in my opinion. 5 minutes hmm it seemed longer but it was great.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

It's worth it as long as you realize many reservations are cancelled due to high winds/weather. IMO.

Reports are to book early in the day, given the choice, as winds typically pick up later in the day.

So ... realize that going in, and if it happens it's awesome, if it doesn't it's normal. Careful with prior verbal kid commitments.

Good Luck
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
Nikisha421
i'm the mom thats hoping and praying that my Disney Princess never grows too old for all things Disney...here's to Disney LOVE

I hope so since we are doing it on April.

But seriously , I did it in Hawaii for much more money and it was amazing.

Nikisha421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

I did it at CC in 2009, it was awesome! Go for it!
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
Me DH DD15 DD4
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Purplejewel
Purplejewel

I would definitely say it was worth the money and coming from my experience that says alot - keep reading. My DH and I did it one month ago and we enjoyed the experience, but not the weather. I know they cancel parasailing for high winds but they really should have canceled it for pouring rain too. It was pouring rain when we were suppose to go and they still didn't cancel the excursion so we did not want to be out such alot of money and went even though we had reservatons. We could barely see anything once we were in the air because the rain was pelting us so hard. And, by the way, the feeling of rain hitting your skin when you are up in the air so high feels like little needles I would do it again but this time if it is raining I will just be out the money and not go.

10 cruises (3-Wonder; 3-Magic; 1-Dream; 3-Fantasy)
Purplejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplejewel View Post
.... It was pouring rain when we were suppose to go and they still didn't cancel the excursion ..... We could barely see anything once we were in the air because the rain was pelting us so hard. And, by the way, the feeling of rain hitting your skin when you are up in the air so high feels like little needles ....
Wow. I can't imagine. But memorable obviously. You'll never forget that excursion.

But not exactly the vision one has of said excursion, no doubt.

Again, don't count on rain to cancel any excursion you have booked on any island. Rain is standard operating procedure for most.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
princesspiglet
DIS Veteran

It was definitley worth it to us, DD9 got to do it twice! The first time she went up with DH and then she got to go up again with me. It was awesome, such an incredible view. We did the full dip and really loved it!
princesspiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
srferson
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
It's worth it as long as you realize many reservations are cancelled due to high winds/weather. IMO.

Reports are to book early in the day, given the choice, as winds typically pick up later in the day.

So ... realize that going in, and if it happens it's awesome, if it doesn't it's normal. Careful with prior verbal kid commitments.

Good Luck
Yeah, I've read lots of posts about it being cancelled. It wouldn't be the end of the world for us. Thank you for the heads up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplejewel View Post
I would definitely say it was worth the money and coming from my experience that says alot - keep reading. My DH and I did it one month ago and we enjoyed the experience, but not the weather. I know they cancel parasailing for high winds but they really should have canceled it for pouring rain too. It was pouring rain when we were suppose to go and they still didn't cancel the excursion so we did not want to be out such alot of money and went even though we had reservatons. We could barely see anything once we were in the air because the rain was pelting us so hard. And, by the way, the feeling of rain hitting your skin when you are up in the air so high feels like little needles I would do it again but this time if it is raining I will just be out the money and not go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Wow. I can't imagine. But memorable obviously. You'll never forget that excursion.

But not exactly the vision one has of said excursion, no doubt.

Again, don't count on rain to cancel any excursion you have booked on any island. Rain is standard operating procedure for most.
Eww. How often does that happen... that people need to either lose their money or go up in the pouring rain? That doesn't sound fun.

I just booked 1:30 for DH and I. Earlier times only had room for one more, not two. Looks like my options are 1:30 or 3:30.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We loved it last August on the Dream...You might be able to do it cheaper somewhere else, but you won't get the amazing view of the Disney ship anywhere else! It's totally cool to be so high up above the ship.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

We booked this excursion three times before we got to do it - it gets cancelled due to winds a lot. Be prepared and have a backup plan.

When we did get up there it was amazing. One of the few excursions I would consider repeating.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
srferson
DIS Veteran

I'll definitely keep that in mind and make sure DH understands.

Now I'm more worried about having to go up in pouring rain or losing my money. I'm hoping that doesn't happen often...

Are there certain things, like sailboats, that Dis would not allow to be used if the wind was that bad?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #13
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Yes, if there are high winds or rough waves other watercraft rental or excursions can be cancelled. Typically the beach areas are still enjoyable, they just want to minimize the risk to guests and crew alike. If they cancel due to weather the port adventure charges on your account are reversed.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by srferson View Post

it is pricey but i did it with my 9YO daughter and she loved it...has informed me we are doing it again on our August cruise...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
kiford
Mouseketeer

DH and I did it once at Castaway Cay. Not only can you see the ship you can pretty much see the entire island. We've booked it three times and had it cancelled twice due to either high winds or rough waters (boat has to be able to stay still enough to reel you in). All three times we booked it was early December and the winds can get high then.

Next time we go, we'll book it again and hope we can do it.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: