Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Looking for the right words...

I recently ran into a friend and we haven't talked much in the last few years and she hasn't seen me since I lost a lot of weight minus online. When getting caught up she informed me her dad was found dead of apparent murder. (Wont go into details...but I live in a small town it's shocking to hear) and her half brother they think may have leukemia. To top that off she hit a deer on her way home from the funeral.

I cannot imagine things can get any worse for her, but I am at a loss of what to say to her other than she's in my thoughts and prayers. She has been since I heard this, but I advised her to not see her dad in the casket, it was an open casket and everyone told me I messed up there. And now I am like what more can I say "wrong" to her. :sigh: yes I know they put make up on the person to hide the bruises and such.

What if there is anything the right way to talk to a friend when they are going through so much? I am in shock myself hearing this and just don't want to hurt her anymore. More details have come out and it's so shocking. I am having a hard time comprehending this, can't imagine what's going on in her head.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

You did your best in the moment and that's much better than having said nothing...the WORST thing that others can do to a person in her situation is avoid talking to them at all because it is so "ackward". In general I'd stay away from giving any advice whatsoever (although I know the desire to be "helpful" is strong); just offering your condolences, love and prayers is always appropriate. Don't neglect to check in with her again in a little while, just to let her know she's not been forgotten - it's likely she has a long road ahead of her with the illness and potential legal proceedings.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Say nothing. Simply be there for her and listen when she needs it.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Tell her this is just so shocking. She just must be numb and empathy goes a long way.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCortWort View Post
I recently ran into a friend and we haven't talked much in the last few years and she hasn't seen me since I lost a lot of weight minus online. When getting caught up she informed me her dad was found dead of apparent murder. (Wont go into details...but I live in a small town it's shocking to hear) and her half brother they think may have leukemia. To top that off she hit a deer on her way home from the funeral.

I cannot imagine things can get any worse for her, but I am at a loss of what to say to her other than she's in my thoughts and prayers. She has been since I heard this, but I advised her to not see her dad in the casket, it was an open casket and everyone told me I messed up there. And now I am like what more can I say "wrong" to her. :sigh: yes I know they put make up on the person to hide the bruises and such.

What if there is anything the right way to talk to a friend when they are going through so much? I am in shock myself hearing this and just don't want to hurt her anymore. More details have come out and it's so shocking. I am having a hard time comprehending this, can't imagine what's going on in her head.
I don't think what you said to her was "wrong" you were just giving her advice that people seldom take.I understand what you were trying to say, I regret every "open casket funeral" that I have been to, because it truly is hard to get that image out of your mind. During this time, I hardly think that what you said would leave a lasting impression, unless you said it in such a way that made your friend think you were being incredibly cruel or hurtful.

My only suggestion would be this: be the type of friend that you think you would like to have under those circumstances. Would taking her out for coffee or just sending a "thinking of you" card help? Do you excerise, walk etc? (only asking since you mentioned your weight loss) If you do, ask her to join you under the pretense of some one-on-one alone time, walking and talking with someone can be very therapeutic, not to mention beneficial, health wise.

Did you know her father? Share a happy memory with her if you did.

Don't beat yourself up, this is her loss/pain not yours.
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
Tell her this is just so shocking. She just must be numb and empathy goes a long way.
I agree....I don't know what exactly I would do, but maybe if I get stuck, a hug?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

You didn't do anything wrong - for you, you wouldn't want to see the person dead. There is nothing wrong with saying so. She will either take that advise or not - depending on how she feels about it. Just be there for your friend. She needs people to be as normal as possible. Talk to her about normal things, not just all the abnormal things. Try to take the pressure off if you can by doing little things like picking up her dry cleaning or going grocery shoping when you might notice she is out of milk. That will help too.
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Be there. Let her do most of he talking. Tell her that you cannot imagine how difficult things must be for her, she is in your prayers.

Ask her if there s something specific you can do, like "How about if I cook you dinner every Tuesday?" or "How about if I come over on Thursday night and do a couple of loads of laundry". I know that when I have gone through deaths/illnesses in the family, that sort of "practical" help freed me up to be able to concentrate on dealing with the situation.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Try taking "victim of a murder" out of the equation and deal with it all the same way you would if you'd heard that her father had just passed away from sickness or something more mundane. I think what's throwing you off is the circumstances around the death, and not the death itself.

Doesn't really matter -- from a "being a friend" POV -- how he died. Your friend lost her father. Period. Go from there and don't fixate on the "how" or "who".

And don't make it about you. Don't worry if you're doing the right thing, or what you would do in that situation, or how it affects you. Again ... your friend lost her father. Just speak from your heart and, as someone said upthread, be the kind of friend you'd like to have near you in this situation.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankgirl05 View Post
I don't think what you said to her was "wrong" you were just giving her advice that people seldom take.I understand what you were trying to say, I regret every "open casket funeral" that I have been to, because it truly is hard to get that image out of your mind. During this time, I hardly think that what you said would leave a lasting impression, unless you said it in such a way that made your friend think you were being incredibly cruel or hurtful.

My only suggestion would be this: be the type of friend that you think you would like to have under those circumstances. Would taking her out for coffee or just sending a "thinking of you" card help? Do you excerise, walk etc? (only asking since you mentioned your weight loss) If you do, ask her to join you under the pretense of some one-on-one alone time, walking and talking with someone can be very therapeutic, not to mention beneficial, health wise.

Did you know her father? Share a happy memory with her if you did.

Don't beat yourself up, this is her loss/pain not yours.
We talked about taking my niece and her boyfriend's brother who are six months apart to get ice cream when my niece is visiting and she has talked about wanting to come walk with me. So there are plans. Her boyfriend lives up the road from me so I have seen her a few times since hearing the news.

I did not know her biological dad, only her step dad. She just in recent years met her bio dad. (This was who was killed her bio dad)

Thanks everyone for the words. I felt like there is no right or wrong thing u can say. I advised her about the casket because of not wanting to see my grandpa like that. But after all the stuff she told me the first night, I was like holy cow don't, it was impulse. But she said it didn't bother her and she supported her siblings that did want to and so I am glad she didn't go up alone. (The death was brutal from what she was told and what she told me, I mean it wasn't a simple gunshot to the head, he was tortured basically)

Each time I see her she is doing better, which is good. Each day it gets better. But thanks for the tips. Appreciate it.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Ask her if there s something specific you can do, like "How about if I cook you dinner every Tuesday?" or "How about if I come over on Thursday night and do a couple of loads of laundry". I know that when I have gone through deaths/illnesses in the family, that sort of "practical" help freed me up to be able to concentrate on dealing with the situation.
This is excellent advice. People always say "Please let me know if I can do anything to help," and that's well-intentioned and wonderful, but it's so much easier to say "Yes" when your friend offers to bring dinner/pick up your groceries/watch your kids than to say "Could you please cook us dinner next Monday?". Most of us, as a general rule, are not good at asking for help. We're a little better at accepting it when it's offered.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Be there. Let her do most of he talking. Tell her that you cannot imagine how difficult things must be for her, she is in your prayers.

Spot on.

I lost a cousin to murder by 3 teen boys. She was pregnant for the first time. They came to kill her stepdaughter (14) (one of the boy's girlfriend), she survived, my cousin (32) did not. She was home that Monday because she had morning sickness...they believed it was just the step daughter home.

I lost my brother from a car accident. That was awful, however, there is something unbearable at the thought of losing a loved one by a grewsome torturious death. The thought of the torture, the pain she suffered, she fought so hard for her life. I couldn't get past the way my cousin died. It was in the newspapers, people gossip, it was horrifying and seemed like she never had the chance to die with dignity, if there is a way to do so, I don't know, I don't know how to explain it. I hated that everyone knew her death as a horrible horrific crime. We had to endure 3 trials. And all covered in the paper.

Disney Doll's response is perfect. Acknowledge the pain, but don't ask for details. Let her talk. I did not want to talk details.

You have no idea how helpful it was to have my friends, neighbors drop off food, a case of water, take our garbage out. They just did it. My neighbors heard I was having people over after the funeral and they cleaned my house, back yard and put up pop up tents and were there when tables and chairs arrived. My son's football parents came to help serve...I just walked in my house, went upstairs and cried. They took care of everything. I couldn't stand to hear a slight laugh.

I had one neighbor who just silently was in my kitchen doing dishes, not saying a word, letting us grieve, making coffee, etc. If someone asked me if I had Equal, I couldn't answer. I don't even know how I had toilet paper in the bathroom. I honestly, can't remember a lot in those 1st weeks, I just remember seeing people come over and taking care of things without questions, just being there.

I've been able to give back to my neighbors too.

I had girlfriends to take care of my kids, to get them out for pizza, etc.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 03-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I agree....I don't know what exactly I would do, but maybe if I get stuck, a hug?
A hug goes a looooong way!!!!! If the person cries into your hug, just let em cry it out, keep the hug, you don't have to say anything. That helps so much!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: