Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #151
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
All I can tell you is that I got it from a friend who is a friend of a family member. I will try to get something more concrete.
She said it was posted by a cousin to a military site and that he knew information about him and his condition before it was made public, but still, donate at your own risk I guess.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #152
danny25
I love Disney and I´m friend of STICH

Unhappy really sad

No words to say how feel.
Our hearts are with this family
danny25 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #153
VACamm
DIS Veteran

So sad... Praying for this family xo
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #154
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiancaBernard&Penny View Post

I'm not going to ever excuse true rudeness or insensitivity but I do want you to know this about your fellow DISers- we're all upset when something happens to Disney Family. We feel this happened in our home. We don't want to point fingers or make anyone feel guilty, but, still, we DO want to cast blame...just because we want there to BE something to blame. We "want" to hear that someone was negligent, someone was naughty, someone caused it. Because the alternative- the reality that tragedy is out there and can strike anyone for no known reason, to realize that good kids, of good parents, can die in good places, by just doing the same things OUR children do... It's just too much to bear. It's much too scary.

Just my 2 cents- as a mom, a nurse, a been-there-done-that teacher of advanced pediatric resuscitation, and a human who has dealt with critical ill children and their loved ones...did I mention mom... {cry}
Thank you for an excellent post.

When I was a child a friend of the family (age 6) had a seizure in a bathtub of 3" of water, fell forward and drowned.

I am a Horse Person and I completely concur with what PP said. You can employ every safety measure (gloves, helmet, impact vest) and still have terrible tragedies like Christopher Reeve.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #155
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

I read about this from a FB posting and was so saddened by it. I agree with others anything could have happened. I cannot swim but made sure my kids and now my grandkids can swim. We have belonged to a swim club for years and I will be in the pool way more often than I want to be again this year. I made complaints several times to the management last year about people who let their 3 year olds wearing "swimmies" go in the big pool alone while they napped and worked on their tan.

I can attest to the fact that drownings happen fast and silently. My DD was in the pool with 2 of my grandsons last year and turned her back for a second. My older DGS started screaming so she went to him thinking he was in trouble. The boys were within arms reach of 3 adults. He was screaming because my DD's son was drowning and he didn't know what to do. The older boy, by a year, couldn't swim and was trying to save him. The lifeguards and other adults there all looked stunned. They thought the boys were playing. The lifeguard apologized to me all summer for not jumping in quicker. The entire incident happened in less than 10 seconds but it seemed like an eternity. My heart breaks for that family.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #156
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom3
I thought I read somewhere that he hit his head but I may be wrong. People need to stop judging. He may have been a good swimmer and the parents may have been close by. If someone hits their head they could go under and drown in no time. The parents may have been there and looked away for even a few minutes. It's very possible he hit his head and slipped under and no body noticed for a couple minutes. Thats all it would take. They could have seen him and not realized he was in trouble and thought he was just under the water. People judging need to get out of their glass houses.

My heart goes out to this family. Hope he's ok.
I agree. I read his parents were at the pool and the boys had been playing and a short time passed and they realized he wasn't around. He could have jumped in and hit his head ?? Pools are not the place for horse playing and it only takes a very short time for an accident to happen. Fault doesn't have to go on anyone. Not the boys, parents, no lifeguard or Disney. It's always posted NO LIFEGUARD and sadly accidents happen. Prayers and sadness to the family---a Missourian
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #157
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen

This is really interesting, but can you verify it?
I'd wait to see if it's verified. The name of the resort is incorrect

The firefighter that was at the pool bar that helped him was on our local news tonight as he helped him. I didn't know it was someone from our area. He did not speculate on whether he hit his head, had a seizure or anything else.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #158
mjperry
One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation. Right at the start of anything that's new, one little spark lights up for you.

So it was not at the Pop Century Resort?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
July - 2010 - POP
June - 2011 - POP
*Plus Three Times Off Site, before I knew better.
My Disney Blog
http://www.interplantarypodcast.blogspot.com

T

mjperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #159
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjperry View Post

Yes. It was at Pop Century.
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #160
mjperry
One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation. Right at the start of anything that's new, one little spark lights up for you.

That's what I thought.

July - 2010 - POP
June - 2011 - POP
*Plus Three Times Off Site, before I knew better.
My Disney Blog
http://www.interplantarypodcast.blogspot.com

T

mjperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #161
Lauralaylin
Earning My Ears

My apologies if this has already been posted, but it's an important read for anyone who ever goes near pools, especially lifeguards and parents. Like others have said, drowning is silent and happens quickly. It's important for everyone to understand that it's not arms flailing and yelling. I highly recommend this article for everyone to read. I share it every spring with everyone I know, and I've heard of a few instances that reading it has actually potentially helped save a life.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/
Lauralaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #162
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjperry

It was at Pop Century. The page says the Walt Disney Pop Culture Resort. I guess I'm just too leery about those type of things.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #163
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauralaylin View Post
My apologies if this has already been posted, but it's an important read for anyone who ever goes near pools, especially lifeguards and parents. Like others have said, drowning is silent and happens quickly. It's important for everyone to understand that it's not arms flailing and yelling. I highly recommend this article for everyone to read. I share it every spring with everyone I know, and I've heard of a few instances that reading it has actually potentially helped save a life.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

thank you for the link. it was educational...i had no idea what a drowning person would act like. just reading the "signs of drowning" is alarming.

my heart goes out to friends and family of the drowning victim.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #164
SolitaryPhoenix
Mouseketeer

I live in Central Florida, and my local news just reported that this poor boy did pass away. They didn't give details, except about it happening at PC.

Edit - I actually looked at their website for more info, and he died Tuesday morning; I don't know why they're just reporting it this morning. They advise that the Sheriff's office is still investigating, no other details are available.
11/04 ~ PC | 10/3-10/8/05 ~ PC | 12/16-12/18/05 ~ CS | 1/27-1/29/06 ~ split PC/CS | 3/3-3/5/06 ~ POR | 9/24-9/30/06 ~ split Swan/POR | 6/6-6/9/07 ~ PC | 6/8-6/14/08 ~ POR ~ DD 1st visit! | 9/12-9/14/08 ~ AKV Jambo ~ 1st as DVC members! | 12/19-12/21/08 ~ WL [DVC] | 5/10-5/14/09 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] | 6/5-6/7/09 ~ PC |7/26-7/28/09 ~ OKW [DVC] with DD | 9/17-9/19/10 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ Mom's 75th, whole family's coming! | 6/24-6/26/11 ~ FW with DD|6/1-6/3/12 ~ FW with DD, nephew + friends | 6/24-6/29/12 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ My '50 Is The New 40' Birthday Celebration! |8/9-8/12/12 ~ FW with DD + friend | 9/21-23/12 ~ AKV [DVC] ~ first stay at Kidani! | 2/8-2/10/13 ~ PC | 3/2-3/3/13 ~ PC w/ DD + friend | 5/10-5/12/13 ~ CS w/ DD ~ Solo Camping Trip!| 9/13 - 9/16/13 ~ AKV-Kidani | April 4 thru 6, 2014 ~ AKV-Kidani ~ Flower & Garden | June 21 to June 22, 2014 ~ WL ~ DD and me!
September 4 thru 7, 2014 ~ Disney Dream cruise with the family! || September 27 to September 28, 2014 ~ OKW ~ aunt/nephew time! || November 13 thru 16, 2014 ~ FW ~ camping with DD

Last edited by SolitaryPhoenix; 03-14-2013 at 07:28 AM.
SolitaryPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #165
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

This boys drowning makes me hyper vigilant even while I am watching my own children at swim lessons. I had to talk to one of my sons classmates about putting my sons head under the water. I hope I scared the boy. Even under the best circumstances people can drown. Medical problems, heat exhaustion, swallow too much water, being over tired- the list goes on.

I am so thankful my kids are in swim lessons but it doesn't give me a free pass not to pay attention.

Last edited by runsandjumps; 03-16-2013 at 02:00 PM.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drowning, pop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: