Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me

I thought this too, originally we were going to cruise first and then do 3 days at WDW, but plans changed and we did WDW then the cruise. As much as I too LOVE the parks, I will say there is a glaring difference in service. You know how when you go to another amusement park and walk around thinking "well this sure isn't Disney." I think if we had done the cruise first we would have been walking around at Disney thinking "well, this sure isn't the cruise." Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the parks, but the cruise is a whole other level of the Disney experience. Also I now think I would really miss the 24 hour room service and all the food whenever and not having to pay for any of it. Not trying to change your mind, just my observation after my first cruise.
I have to agree with this. I used to think I'd be buried with my Disneyland AP. Now that I've experienced cruising, it's really hard to go back to the parks and not think about what I could get onboard for what an AP costs now. If they would keep a ship on the west coast I would seriously consider giving up my family's APs altogether.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEMdisney View Post
It seems like every thread I read it suggests park first but we are doing the opposite. We LOVE LOVE LOVE WDW, and this is our first DCl cruise. I figure, after the cruise we will KNOW that we love going to the parks so we will have something to look forward to.
We are doing the same. I just know that I will be seriously depressed getting off the Fantasy, so knowing I have a week in WDW will soften the blow, somewhat!!!
We have the dining plan (we got free dining) so at least we will not be paying for our food during the second week of our trip either.

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Have done both and it is nice to rest those tired feet from the parks on the ship.

However after the 15 nights on the Hawaii cruise it was great to burn off those 15 pounds in DL!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
PearlySwan
"I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams." W.B. Yeats

Thumbs up Disney Surf 'n' Turf!

Both are great options! My family and I absolutely LOVE doing Disney Surf 'n' Turf Vacations! However, listen to what a Disney Cruise Mom has to say about it here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...surf-and-turf/ and don't forget you can also ask questions on the Disney Parks Moms Panel here: http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/ Wishing you a FANTASTIC Disney Surf 'n' Turf Vacay!
PearlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Aura of Foreboding
Mouseketeer

On our first cruise, we booked a six day WDW stay for after our (4-night) cruise. We would prefer not to do it that way again.

After being pampered on the ship, it almost took the "shine" off of the parks. No matter how good our servers were at dinners, they couldn't compare to those on the ship, our rooms at All-Star felt tired and old, and the cleanliness and friendliness of the ship just couldn't be beat. Nothing had changed at WDW, but our perceptions had. From now on, we will do parks first, and then relax on the cruise.

Mind you, a day at Disney is better than a day anywhere else. We still loved our time at WDW, I just think it would have been more "special" had we done it first.
DCL - 2012 (4-night Bahamian on the Dream)

In the works:
August 12-15th - WDW *~* August 16th, 2014 - Disney Fantasy *~* July 2015 - DL

Aura of Foreboding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

I prefer land after, #1 reason the cruise is the best part I want to get there and do it. I don't want to wish our WDW vacation away anticipating the cruise. After the cruise I like to go enjoy WDW and hope that the time lasts forever Unfortunately this upcoming trip due to scheduling we need to do WDW first I'm actually feeling a bit let down. Trying to think it’s better to be at WDW waiting for the cruise then at home. I don't understand people saying they like to go to WDW exhaust themselves then relax on the ship, that does not sound like fun to me. I like to start off refreshed on the ship! Last trip we did 1 WDW, the cruise followed by 4 nights at WDW, this trip it will be reversed 4 nights at WDW, cruise, 1 night at WDW then home, as of now I feel like we might feel rushed the last WDW day knowing home is tomorrow, but like I said due to scheduling we have no other choice right now.
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
5forDis
Mouseketeer

We did parks for 5 days, then the cruise, then 2 days at WDW. I thought the 2 days there, after the cruise, would lead us gently back to reality. We stayed at the Grand Floridian. It was such a let down after the cruise . We left Port Canaveral & were in Adventureland in MK by noon...it was hot, humid, busy and seemed less magical than before the cruise. The Grand Floridian seemed unfriendly and run down after coming off the Dream.

I love the parks & if my only chance to go was after the cruise, then I'd happily do it. I would recommend a day at the resort, playing at the pool and go to the parks the next day as you ease into the reality of being off the ship

14 12 9

5forDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
kam1011
Mouseketeer

Wow, I'm surprised! I was expecting to do WDW after the cruise, but it looks like the timing may work out better to do it before. I guess I read too many trip reports where people rushed off the boat at 7am to go straight to the parks! So I'm definitely leaning towards before now. We're probably only going to do 2-3 days next year anyway with the cruise.

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
DDM101
Mouseketeer

I like the cruise, parks, cruise, parks idea...maybe next trip.
DDM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
kiford
Mouseketeer

We usually spend a few days first at WDW hitting everything we really want to do. Then cruise and let the feet rest. Then back to WDW where we take it much more leisurely. Spend more time people watching, wandering through shops, watching parades and shows. It always feels so abrupt to leave the ship and get on the plane. A day or two at Disney after the cruise allows me to slowly readjust to the notion of the end of my vacation.

If I could only do WDW once (as last December), I would do the cruise last. Feet are tired running around the parks, more time and shops to pick up stuff you forgot....

Next time, though, I'm going to try to schedule time before and after. I still prefer that.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #26
roguefx
Earning My Ears

We decided to do both this year

We're doing three days at Old Key West, then cruising three days, then a week at Saratoga Springs.

It's been a few years since we've been to FL (we're west coasters) and we decided to do it up right with a full two weeks with our first cruise in the middle!
roguefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
michel1145
Earning My Ears

Parks then cruise, for sure! You can relax once you get on the ship.
michel1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #28
StacyLynn624
Earning My Ears

We just got back from a 4 night cruise and 4 days at WDW. It was our first cruise.

We both said we would always do the park first and then the cruise from now on. I didn't want to walk anywhere for a week after the parks. We were so tired.

Also, I totally agree with the food thing. It's nice not having to pay for food. Then when you get to the park, paying for food isn't fun.

We stayed at Disney resorts at the park, and while the service was nice, it wasn't the same as the ship. You don't have to really worry about getting dinner reservations, there's not as many people, and there's more personal attention.
StacyLynn624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

If I was going to do a land/cruise combo I would for sure do land first. This probably wouldn't be a concern for most people but we just got off our first cruise in Saturday and I have been hit HARD by land sickness. I'm dizzy and wobbly and foggy and downright miserable at home. I couldn't imagine trying to do Disney World in this state. If you think there's even a chance someone in your group could end up this way you should really consider doing the land part first.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #30
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
That sounds amazing. We don't have as much time as that but I wondered how it would be to split the park days. With school schedules what they are we were thinking to do 2 park days, 4 day cruise and then 3 park days.
Yes! it was.
Go a head and try it.....as for those two cruises four days apart from each other, I asked my Dw of 44 years, "do you want to take a Dream cruise for our anniversary day, [ May 4th" ]....and she said..... YES!....what a person won't do for that special person......and remember guys ....it is better in the Bahamas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2sams View Post
Fun! We did a night before at Disney and then 3 days in the park afterwards during Spring Break last year. It was our first cruise, and we were hooked. We're taking a 7-day in June and will spend the night before at Disney and then come back for a few days in the parks. I would love to be able to take a second cruise so quickly. Maybe next time...
.......YES ! you will become hooked! We have taken ten Disney cruises since 2004. This year we are not cruisin', but have a 7 day western [Fantasy] sailing around Cuba and a 5 day [Wonder] double dip by way of Key West in 2014. All with DCL....The Happy Ships.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: