Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
kam1011
Mouseketeer

Land before or after Sea?

I know this is totally a matter of personal preference, but:
For those of you who go to WDW around the same time as your cruise, do prefer parks first then cruise or cruise and then parks? Why?

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

We prefer to do WDW then the cruise.
Nothing like relaxing on CC after a few busy days in the parks!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
kiddisney
DIS Veteran

depends on what cruise you can get - but we also like to do wdw & then the cruise - relaxing way to end a busy trip

wdw: '83,'85-'86,'88-'89,'91-'93,'95,'97-'99,'02-'03, '05-'06, '08 -'13 (25 visits & counting 10 trips in 13 months to visit dd: wdw intern & ds: wdw cp)
dl: '82,'87,'95 (hoping for 2014 with wdw cruise out of san diego)
dcl: '98,'99,'00,'02,'03,'04 ... '11,'12,'13,'14 (dbl dips gives us platinum)

kiddisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
divabydisney
Mouseketeer

Well here is my experience. I would say do the parks before. We did the parks after (3 days). Here are my kids (boys ages 6 & 12) reasons they preferred we did the parks before the cruise: A) After hanging on the beach and being in total relaxation for days, they felt the parks were too much. B) Mickey bars suddenly cost money. I wasn't willing to fork over the money after they ate so many on the ship. C) Eating in general was more of an issue. They ate what they wanted, when they wanted on the ship. I think they were a little sluggish.

In fairness, this was their first time to the parks so they didn't know what to expect, it was a long vacation and they just were wore out. In the future if I were to do this again, we would do the parks before.

divabydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We have done both and only plan to do the parks first from now on. After a week of being pampered on the ship, the parks are just a rude awakening IMO. We are fine going to them first.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

I'm another parks first person. It is nice to be able to relax on the ship after the busy running around in the parks.

Wonder 12/21/08
Dream 03/27/12
Fantasy 07/14/12
Dream 10/07/12
Dream 10/11/12
Fantasy 05/25/13
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Husurdady
Dad-2-4 Dh-2-1 of 45yrs.

I like my cake and eat it too. We do the parks , go on a cruise, and do the parks some more.
Last year we did the parks , went on a 5 day cruise [Magic] came back did the parks , then went on a 3 day cruise [Dream] then came back and did the parks 5 more days. WE loved every minute of it....
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husurdady
I like my cake and eat it too. We do the parks , go on a cruise, and do the parks some more.
Last year we did the parks , went on a 5 day cruise [Magic] came back did the parks , then went on a 3 day cruise [Dream] then came back and did the parks 5 more days. WE loved every minute of it....
That sounds amazing. We don't have as much time as that but I wondered how it would be to split the park days. With school schedules what they are we were thinking to do 2 park days, 4 day cruise and then 3 park days.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
ludari
DIS Veteran

Having done both I prefer visiting the parks first. The main reason was that it was a bit strange being well taken care of on a ship to being basically on your own evening staying on site using my DVC point. It was strange walking into a dinning room and having to pay after spending a week or more on a ship.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
luvmy2sams
Proud Mommy
Flip flops creep me out!
Drank cowboy kool-aid & now I'm married
Drinks Rattlesnakes and does the 2 Step until 2am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husurdady View Post
Fun! We did a night before at Disney and then 3 days in the park afterwards during Spring Break last year. It was our first cruise, and we were hooked. We're taking a 7-day in June and will spend the night before at Disney and then come back for a few days in the parks. I would love to be able to take a second cruise so quickly. Maybe next time...
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
KEMdisney
DIS Veteran

It seems like every thread I read it suggests park first but we are doing the opposite. We LOVE LOVE LOVE WDW, and this is our first DCl cruise. I figure, after the cruise we will KNOW that we love going to the parks so we will have something to look forward to.
All Star Sports '03
Boardwalk Villas '05
Saratoga Springs '07
Saratoga Springs '08
All Star Sports '08
Pop Century '09
Saratoga Springs '09
Disneyland April '11
Boardwalk Villas '11

Upcoming:
Disney Dream (1st cruise!!!) then Animal Kingdom Villas June 2013

KEMdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
We have done both and only plan to do the parks first from now on. After a week of being pampered on the ship, the parks are just a rude awakening IMO. We are fine going to them first.
Agreed about the rude awakening! LOL!
We have done both and we usually come back to the parks for a day or two as I don't like to fly right home from the ship! But, we have learned to tone our expectations down DRAMATICALLY when we set foot off of the ship! They just spoil you rotten onboard! We also know our eating/snacking habits will be much different in WDW vs DCL. If you know and plan for it, you can make either work. But I still prefer to spend the bulk of my park time prior to my cruise...personal preference.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEMdisney View Post
It seems like every thread I read it suggests park first but we are doing the opposite. We LOVE LOVE LOVE WDW, and this is our first DCl cruise. I figure, after the cruise we will KNOW that we love going to the parks so we will have something to look forward to.
If you've never done a cruise, this is probably a good option. This way, you won't spend your WDW time being stressed about your cruise. After you've cruised, and been bitten by the cruising bug, you'll see why most say WDW first.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEMdisney View Post
I thought this too, originally we were going to cruise first and then do 3 days at WDW, but plans changed and we did WDW then the cruise. As much as I too LOVE the parks, I will say there is a glaring difference in service. You know how when you go to another amusement park and walk around thinking "well this sure isn't Disney." I think if we had done the cruise first we would have been walking around at Disney thinking "well, this sure isn't the cruise." Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the parks, but the cruise is a whole other level of the Disney experience. Also I now think I would really miss the 24 hour room service and all the food whenever and not having to pay for any of it. Not trying to change your mind, just my observation after my first cruise.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I thought this too, originally we were going to cruise first and then do 3 days at WDW, but plans changed and we did WDW then the cruise. As much as I too LOVE the parks, I will say there is a glaring difference in service. You know how when you go to another amusement park and walk around thinking "well this sure isn't Disney." I think if we had done the cruise first we would have been walking around at Disney thinking "well, this sure isn't the cruise." Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the parks, but the cruise is a whole other level of the Disney experience. Also I now think I would really miss the 24 hour room service and all the food whenever and not having to pay for any of it. Not trying to change your mind, just my observation after my first cruise.
Totally agree.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: