Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
last1973
Mouseketeer

Is the fort to far away from parks

Hi I love the idea of the cabins but I'm really worried about how long it will take to get to parks, pools and food halls. Should I be worried there is gonna b 6 if us kids ages 3,5,10 & 16. We stayed at pop several years ago and we were really impressed with how easy buses were to get, thanks
last1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
hoosll
DIS Veteran

The buses move through the campground about every 15 minutes. If you just miss the bus then it is 15 minutes until the next one. Then you will have to change buses at the front or wait for the boat at the dock or to Trail's End. Park buses (etc.) cycle through at the front every 20-30 minutes. The boats cycle about every 15-20 minutes.

I usually plan for a minimum of 60 minutes to get to a park (or home from a park) if it is less than that - hooray.
WL - Feb '02; WL - Sep '03 Big Willie's B-day
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
WL - Nov '06 - Big Willie retires
BWV - Nov '07 Midweek long weekend
WL - Apr '12 Me, DD, and DGS4, DGS2 -their 1st trip!
FW - Dec '12 First time in RV; Feb '13 Midwinter escape; Feb '14 Snowbirds!
hoosll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by last1973 View Post
Hi I love the idea of the cabins but I'm really worried about how long it will take to get to parks, pools and food halls. Should I be worried there is gonna b 6 if us kids ages 3,5,10 & 16. We stayed at pop several years ago and we were really impressed with how easy buses were to get, thanks
IMO, the waits for buses is comparable to most of the hotels, and the boats to MK is much quicker.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

1) To us, the distance is PERRRR-FECT.
2) Just far enough away,
. . . to give you adjustment time before getting to the park
. . . to give you wind-down time after the park
. . . to give you a peaceful and serene stroll to your cabin/site
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
hoosll
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
IMO, the waits for buses is comparable to most of the hotels, and the boats to MK is much quicker.
Yes, the bus wait is comparable after you get to the front of the campground, for me it is that extra bus trip which adds the additional time. We love the boat to MK and try to camp in a loop near the dock (unfortunately, no cabins near the dock) and will often ride to MK to pick up the monorail or a bus to another resort. We often ride a boat to MK, get bus to Beach Club and take the back entrance to World Showcase for a meal.
WL - Feb '02; WL - Sep '03 Big Willie's B-day
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
WL - Nov '06 - Big Willie retires
BWV - Nov '07 Midweek long weekend
WL - Apr '12 Me, DD, and DGS4, DGS2 -their 1st trip!
FW - Dec '12 First time in RV; Feb '13 Midwinter escape; Feb '14 Snowbirds!
hoosll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
DentalDana2
Mouseketeer

This will be my first trip to FW, but I've already decided to use my one vehicle to take to the parks and our dining at other resorts. The only exception will be the MK boat. The idea of missing an internal bus while trying to make rope drop is very stressful even this many months out!

1982 - offsite
1992 - offsite
2000 - ASMo
2002 - CBR
2009 - ASSp
2013 - Fort Wilderness
2015 - BCV
DentalDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
amylevan
DIS Veteran

We are rope drop people - and we take the busses (internal as well). We've never had a problem; but we do make sure we are moving in the morning.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
pooh4me
DIS Veteran

Both the orange and the purple buses go through the cabin loops so you have a much shorter wait for internal buses. When we went in Jan of this year we only waited at the most 10 minuets.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Leia's Mom
Goofy Runner

We are cabin people. I've stayed at most locations. My opinion for my family only.

If I were relying on the busses and I could afford a golf cart, I would do it. It saves a ton of travel time. If I could not afford a golf cart and could have a car there, I would.

For this trip, we have both -- a car and a golf cart (we are driving from home). We love parking right by our car, being able to get groceries easily, etc. We will take the boat to MK because parking is just as much of a pain. We will drive to all of the other locations. My husband is comfortable with navigating the parks. We may take the bus to the water park (my DH won't go, and we will leave him the car).

Overall, it is a style issue. I won't stay anywhere that isn't on the monorail for the marathon because of travel time. For a family vacation, the cabins are my favorite. It definitely gives us more family time (not sure why, but it is true). We decompress from everything. Plus, I love just meandering around the Fort. Love it.

Amy
Leia's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Hi. I just wanted to point out something - you said "food halls" in your original post. Did you mean food court? There are no food courts at the Fort. There is take-out available at Trail's To Go, like pizza, chicken, salad and some other meals, and you can get meals at the Meadows Pool Snack Bar but nothing like what you had at Pop.

One morning I witnessed a terrible scene with a family at the Trail's To Go counter while we were in Trail's End eating breakfast. They were annoyed that there was no place to get QS breakfast and were yelling at the CM at the counter. She told them she could offer them coffee and pastries but that's it and they said they could see all the hot food at the buffet and they should be allowed to get a plate to go as a QS credit. She didn't give in but she did get their DD a cup of cereal and milk. I just don't want to see the same thing happen to you, if you expect to go for a quick breakfast, you won't find one.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Good point about breakfasts, but I gotta say the dining plan seems like a waste if you're staying in the cabins. The kitchens just make life so much easier and cheaper. Make whatever you want, whether its just a bowl of cereal or oatmeal, or its a full blown breakfast with bacon, eggs and toast. Thats one of the joys of the cabins.

We had breakfasts in the cabin, packed our homemade lunches for the parks, and had about every other dinner on the grill. Saved a ton this way and loved the family time!
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: