Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
messyjessy
Earning My Ears

ADRs for our First visit to the World

Hi Folks!

We are headed to Disney for the first time in April to celebrate my dd 5th birthday! We (3 of us) will be there for 5 days and are on the Deluxe Dining Plan. I have the following ADRs booked for our trip.

Monday
Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern
Dinner - 1900 Park Fare

Tuesday
Brunch - Be our Guest
Dinner - Cinderella's Royal Table

Wednesday
Brunch - Tusker House
Dinner - Ohana

Thursday
Breakfast - Akershus
Lunch - Chef de France
Dinner - Rose & Crown

Friday
Dinner - Kona Cafe

My question is this. Is this too ambitious for first timers? Should I switch my Friday reservation to Lunch at Kona and dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe? Or I can do GFC for lunch instead of LTT and keep Kona for dinner? Thoughts? Recommendations? If I keep it this way I'll have 2 ADRs for LTT. I know there are more restaurants to choose from and it's hard to narrow it down since we only have 5 days. So many restaurants, so little time.

Thanks for the input!
messyjessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
shell8558
DIS Veteran

I would switch one of the LTT for a crystal palace. So much fun ! Absolutely live their breakfast - especially before the park opens . But their lunch/ dinner is pretty good too . Characters are lots of fun !
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
quandrea
DIS Veteran

You have some fabulous restaurants picked. We love LTT, Akershus, 'Ohana and many of the others. I do think it is too ambitious though. We have 4 yo twins and a 9 yo dd and this would be way too many sit downs for them. For example we are headed down for nine days next week. I have only 4 sit down meals planned. We've been to WDW about a dozen time the five of us and we find that we enjoy the table service meals when there are fewer of them. Disney World is a lot of structure for small children. The sit down meals are more structure in an often crowded environment where they have to wait (yet again) for things.

Can you lose the deluxe dining plan or is it too late for that? That would be my suggestion. Pick your favourite four or five restaurants and cancel the rest. I think the trip will be better for it.

Some of our happiest meals have been on the fly counter service. We love Tangeriene Cafe, La Cantina de San Angel, flame Tree BBQ, Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck Express.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
lovedworld
Mouseketeer

In my opinion I think that is alot of eating. If your only going to have five days you will want to be able to spend more time experiencing the attractions than eating. Don't get me wrong I love eating at Disney and have eaten at all of these resturants and they are all great, but you will be spending alot of time eating. I wonder if your little one will get tired of all the sit down meals. I have never tired the deluxe plan because I didn't think I could eat all that food. You might want to consider the regular dining plan.
lovedworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedworld
In my opinion I think that is alot of eating. If your only going to have five days you will want to be able to spend more time experiencing the attractions than eating. Don't get me wrong I love eating at Disney and have eaten at all of these resturants and they are all great, but you will be spending alot of time eating. I wonder if your little one will get tired of all the sit down meals. I have never tired the deluxe plan because I didn't think I could eat all that food. You might want to consider the regular dining plan.
Totally agree. Thats a lot if time to spend in a restaurant. Id also think about the reg DP. If you want the delux DP thats great....but I'd do a 2TS credit for dinner then. Like hoop dee doo, spirit of aloha, signature restaurant, etc. That way you have a bfast or early lunch then a 2 TS dinner (2 restaurants/ day instead of 3).

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 03-10-2013 at 04:01 PM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

I would either swap out for more 2 credit restuarants or go to the regular DP. And you only need to do LTT once. It's ok, but definitly not worth two trips in one visit.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Eureka
DIS Veteran

If I am counting right, you are only using 12 out of 15 credits you get with the deluxe plan. Might want to think about some more signatures, unless you are going to be grabbing counter service breakfast on some days. We have done deluxe twice, did two sit down meals each day (most dinners signature) and still felt stuffed. But we like having the breaks, so I don't think it is necessarily too many ADRs.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

I would definitely try to get an ADR for Crystal Palace if you can (maybe Fri lunch?)- it's lots of fun!

We always do 2-3 TS meals/day (w/ DxDDP), even with young kids, and find it to be much more of a relief than a burden. So I don't necessarily think it's too ambitious, it just depends on how you are used to eating and touring.

We will be there in April as well, and are doing many of the same restaurants

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by messyjessy
Hi Folks!

We are headed to Disney for the first time in April to celebrate my dd 5th birthday! We (3 of us) will be there for 5 days and are on the Deluxe Dining Plan. I have the following ADRs booked for our trip.

Monday
Dinner - 1900 Park Fare

Tuesday
Brunch - Be our Guest
Dinner - Cinderella's Royal Table

Wednesday
Brunch - Tusker House
Dinner - Ohana

Thursday
Breakfast - Akershus
Lunch - Chef de France
Dinner - Rose & Crown

Friday
Dinner - Kona Cafe

My question is this. Is this too ambitious for first timers? Should I switch my Friday reservation to Lunch at Kona and dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe? Or I can do GFC for lunch instead of LTT and keep Kona for dinner? Thoughts? Recommendations? If I keep it this way I'll have 2 ADRs for LTT. I know there are more restaurants to choose from and it's hard to narrow it down since we only have 5 days. So many restaurants, so little time.

Thanks for the input!
You have some great choices! I think the GFC is a great idea- it is one of our favourite restaurants and we live an excursion to the GF.

BOG and Akershus are also fantastic choices. Akershus is great for breakfast.

Contrary to others, I believe that the deluxe DDP is the way to go, especially for a first trip.

Restaurants are a great way to relax and also to meet characters without the queues in the parks, saving you time! I would say essentials to try are Chef Mickeys (quintessential Disney, you really ought to try it- one of our favourites), Akershus (another fantastic choice), Crystal Palace (if you book an ADR for a non EMH day at about 8am you can get into an empty park, and then be out right in time for rope drop!!! Do try it!

CRT is also definitely a must do for first timers that can afford it. Another Disney experience.

For us, the restaurants at WDW actually played a huge part in making it the best vacation we had ever taken.

For the record I would definitely avoid Rose and Crown. We are British and found the food totally unauthentic, processed and disgusting. If certainly wasn't anything like what we have in Britain. We do not put bacon in mashed potato that's for sure! There are far better choices in Epcot- Le Cellier... Via Napoli... Or further afield in the Boardwalk resort area just a short walk away. We love the Boardwalk.

1900 PF is such good fun with the stepmother and stepsisters! Especially your DD5 will like it!

We personally did not like 'Ohana as we thought that the entertainment was a little tacky and the food wasn't good although perhaps that was because of our tastes. The bread pudding was lovely though. Breakfast at 'Ohana was fantastic though, especially if you like Lilo and Stitch.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
messyjessy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell8558
I would switch one of the LTT for a crystal palace. So much fun ! Absolutely live their breakfast - especially before the park opens . But their lunch/ dinner is pretty good too . Characters are lots of fun !
I heard it was good - we have several character meals so I didn't want to wear out my husband. I think my daughter would enjoy it...and i would too!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
messyjessy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea
You have some fabulous restaurants picked. We love LTT, Akershus, 'Ohana and many of the others. I do think it is too ambitious though. We have 4 yo twins and a 9 yo dd and this would be way too many sit downs for them. For example we are headed down for nine days next week. I have only 4 sit down meals planned. We've been to WDW about a dozen time the five of us and we find that we enjoy the table service meals when there are fewer of them. Disney World is a lot of structure for small children. The sit down meals are more structure in an often crowded environment where they have to wait (yet again) for things.

Can you lose the deluxe dining plan or is it too late for that? That would be my suggestion. Pick your favourite four or five restaurants and cancel the rest. I think the trip will be better for it.

Some of our happiest meals have been on the fly counter service. We love Tangeriene Cafe, La Cantina de San Angel, flame Tree BBQ, Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck Express.
I can check again but i think it's too late to switch. I did think it might be a little much for all of us but I didn't discover these boards until recently before I booked. :/
Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
messyjessy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedworld
I don't think we will be able to eat all that food either! Lol! This will be our first vacation at a theme park so I wasn't sure what to expect. We usually cruise or stay at a resort so I was just going off of having 3 meals a day and snacks too. I didn't realize the counter service options were real food ( not just burgers and chicken fingers) until recently, so that was the reasoning behind the deluxe plan. Oh well - we can just try to suffer through it.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
messyjessy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto

Totally agree. Thats a lot if time to spend in a restaurant. Id also think about the reg DP. If you want the delux DP thats great....but I'd do a 2TS credit for dinner then. Like hoop dee doo, spirit of aloha, signature restaurant, etc. That way you have a bfast or early lunch then a 2 TS dinner (2 restaurants/ day instead of 3).
I thought about signature dining but I'm not too keen on leaving our daughter in the child care place. I'd feel a little guilty about that. We are not dinner show people and weren't too interested in the dinner shows. I don't think my dd would sit through that. I may cancel a couple places and sub out some CS. I just don't think it would be maximizing the value of the DxDP.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
messyjessy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcghee2024
I would either swap out for more 2 credit restuarants or go to the regular DP. And you only need to do LTT once. It's ok, but definitly not worth two trips in one visit.
When I realized I had booked it twice I thought I should change it. I want to try as many places as possible. Lol
Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

I think your choices are fine, but I would definitely see if you can downgrade the dining plan or get rid of it altogether. You're definitely not getting any value out of the deluxe plan. My husband and I actually are going to do the deluxe plan for our trip next year, but we're also going to be doing several signature restaurants in addition to our other table service meals. I think that with doing the signatures we'll get value out of the plan without stuffing ourselves silly every day, but I don't think we would otherwise.

Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: