Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Shikedants
Earning My Ears

Microwaves and Adult Pool Area

I don't wear a pacemaker. None the less, I was wondering something. I'm a Castaway Gold members but still have not been on the Dream or Fantasy.

I was looking at pictures of the adult pool area on the Fantasy, specifically Satellite Falls. I couldn't help but notice that radar equipment appears to be right there amongst the lounge chairs. This same setup is probably true of most cruise ships, not just the Dream or Fantasy.

1. Am I correct in that assuming that the various bulbous stuctures are radar equipment?

2. If so, can someone confirm that radar uses microwaves?

3. And if that is correct, should a pacemaker wearer avoid this area of the ship?

Just wondering. Regardless, I'm still going on the Dream and Fantasy.
Shikedants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

This might help you ease you mind.
•Household appliances such as microwave ovens, televisions, radios, stereos, vacuum cleaners, electric brooms, electric blankets, electric knives, hair dryers, shavers, gardening machinery, toasters, food processors and can openers won't affect your pacemaker.

Link to where I got the information Devices that may Interfere with Pacemakers from American Heart Association

The things you would want to watch on the Cruise; Metal detectors for security, Power-generating equipment, arc welding equipment and powerful magnets (being low by the ships engines and generators)
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

Yes, microwaves don't effect pacemakers, but strong magnets do. I work with superconducting electromagnets and we have signs all over the place forbidding those with pacemakers from coming within 5 feet.
aprilchem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

The rule of thumb is that for anyone traveling with a pacemaker, to check with the manufacturer of the pacemaker to find out what the effect would be and how far away to stay.

Generally, if the radar tower is 5 feet above your head, then you should be safe.....but should be isn't something I would trust.

Anyone with any kind of medical condition such as this, should really talk to their doctor and/or the manufacturer.

The worst thing to do is to get advice on a discussion board.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
The rule of thumb is that for anyone traveling with a pacemaker, to check with the manufacturer of the pacemaker to find out what the effect would be and how far away to stay.
I work around cellular and broadcast towers all the time. I'm one of those crazy nuts who will climb the towers to inspect the work done to ensure it meets the specification. I've been doing this since 1989 and I haven't been affected at all! As a matter of fact, after talking to another 'tower vet', he's come to the conclusion that if we continue to work in that field, it prevents those radiation cancers we hear so much about. That being said, I still won't that that many chances.

In Canada there is a paper called Safety Code 6. I haven't read the thing in its entirety, but it essentially says that equipment like microwaves should be installed 8.5-feet above any area where people would be walking. Satellites are directional, not omni-directional. If it's not pointing at you, you're safe.

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Defibrillator/Pacemaker (ICD) owner here!

Radar is not a problem, nor are microwaves. The biggest problem is strong magnets, which can turn off your pacemaker. Obviously if you're pace-dependent, that's a problem. Metal detectors are not a problem unless you stand up against it and hang out for a while, BUT your device will always set off the detector and you'll be pulled aside for an alternate search (wanding or a pat-down), so it's easier to just tell them upfront.

People with pacemakers/defibrillators tend to be pretty well educated about what interferes with their particular device (so much for my arc welding career!). I've been on a half dozen cruises and in and out of airports in 7 or 8 different countries and never had a problem with my ICD, plus courtrooms, concerts, sports events, and anywhere else they don't want you to have a gun or knife. Just takes a little extra time going through security.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

I would think those with misguided body perceptions wearing inappropriate speedo's/thong swim suits.......might hold more risk to your pacemaker function.
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Why does every thread lately end up with a comment about bathing suits?

Seriously, people need to get over it. At this point I might go get a thong just to prove a point! Maybe force my husband into a speedo! Look out May 4 Fantasy cruisers.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post

Seriously, people need to get over it. At this point I might go get a thong just to prove a point! Maybe force my husband into a speedo! Look out May 4 Fantasy cruisers.

Hide your pacemakers folks.
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

fwiw, There are tracking satellite dishes within the 3 globes forward on the Dream Class ships. Here is a photo; http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.co...23234LARGE.jpg

Please note this photo is from the Fantasy, with Satellite Falls installed. The Dream is the same but no falls, and different seating configuration around the center large globe.

I will leave the rad exposure to others.

Last edited by Bear3412; 03-10-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post

Next time, just report the post and ignore the snide comments.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
NC DCL fans
Mouseketeer

We loved satellite falls on our last cruise. I also came home and wondered it those big white globes over our heads were "safe". The things at satellite falls look like they are "radomes" - i.e. domes over radar equipment. After searching for "cruise ship radome safety" I came up with very little. It seems that it depends on what type of radar equipment is under the dome and what its doing. Does anyone know how we can actuaaly find out? Is there a department we can email at DCL that will give us anything but the generic polite customer service response? If anyone uncovers the truth about the "radomes" please post it! This august I will once again be absorbing who knows how much microwave radiation or electromagnetic dangers- and it will be fun this time too!
NC DCL fans is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: