Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #91
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

A lot of Marvel talk, but it seems the easiest property to leverage right now would be Star Wars. Or perhaps Pixar. Marvel being the most complicated - I would not hold my breath.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #92
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
A lot of Marvel talk, but it seems the easiest property to leverage right now would be Star Wars. Or perhaps Pixar. Marvel being the most complicated - I would not hold my breath.
Agree 100%.

IF there is any sort of announcement coming (and I'm largely of lockoutlogic's mind on this), it's probably Star Wars.

I think, before the purchase of Lucas, there might have been some inkling of bringing CarsLand to DHS. I think buying Lucas was a game changer. If theyr'e doing anything (and I still think that's a big "IF"), my bet would be on that.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #93
Echo7Solo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

I don't think USF has to worry about Marvel Island being stale or outdated for many years to come. In the meantime, they'll ride the popularity of Avengers, X-Men and Spider-Man through dozens of film sequels. That is, unless Disney wants to write a 9-figure check and effectively foot the bill for Harry Potter Phase 3.
I don't know. I don't think Potter has the lasting power of Marvel. It can go on pretty much forever. The Potter books/movies are over. As for Marvel Island being stale and outdated... it is now. The only thing it has going for it is Spider-Man. The rest are 6 Flags rides at best and outdated versions of Cap, Wolverine and the X-Men (Spider-Man doesn't change much but that costume is still dated to an extent)
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #94
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

In case anyone is keeping score...there was no announcement on May 1st. Major or otherwise.

Carry on.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #95
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz
In case anyone is keeping score...there was no announcement on May 1st. Major or otherwise.

Carry on.
Oh...some of us are definitely noticing...

Still have a couple of weeks left in the month before I order the artillery to open fire on Cemetery Ridge for General Pickett.

Somebody better let Josh of the "super factual Disney employee insider blog" know so he can recheck with MK custodial and confirm that the billion dollar expansion announcement is this month.

After just getting back this week - I'm more convinced than ever that they are more than content to sit back and just keep on keeping on with the unpopular avatar work and the downtown Disney "screw up reclamation" project.

Anybody want my review of fantasyland?
I'm guessing not
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #96
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

Still have a couple of weeks left in the month before I order the artillery to open fire on Cemetery Ridge for General Pickett.

Somebody better let Josh of the "super factual Disney employee insider blog" know so he can recheck with MK custodial and confirm that the billion dollar expansion announcement is this month.

After just getting back this week - I'm more convinced than ever that they are more than content to sit back and just keep on keeping on with the unpopular avatar work and the downtown Disney "screw up reclamation" project.

I'm guessing not
I haven't been, but I have heard less than stellar reviews, I'd love to hear your opinion on it.
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #97
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm guessing not
ummm.....sure let's here it! I'm heading there in August and would love to hear all opinions.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #98
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Given the financial results they announced a couple weeks ago, it's hard to argue otherwise. All recent park additions are very modest. Discounts are drying up. Yet profits are up dramatically. Where is the incentive to build more?

The Snow White coaster is still nearly a year away. Then Disney will probably fill a couple years with small-scale improvements as they have been lately: new restaurants (paid for by the occupying vendors), parade tweaks, fireworks tweaks, virtual games, virtual queues, DVC resorts, etc.

I do think Avatar will happen and Hollywood Studios will get some enhancement, but the finances of those projects will be VERY carefully measured / managed / scrutinized. With each day that passes I find it harder to believe they will spend $700 million on a Cars Land clone, particularly given the impact of fickle Florida weather on the Radiator Springs Racers ride system (see: Test Track problems.)

And if something is announced for both DHS and DAK, it will be a good 4-5 years before the additions are complete.

Quote:
I'm guessing not
I was underwhelmed.

It's very nice to look at...and will be better when the mine coaster is complete. But the Belle cottage show was a one-and-done for our family. Kids are 12 & 10 and were bored throughout. Only way we even got them to do it was by keeping the show I secret. If I had told them it was a play where audience members act out B&TB, they never would have set foot in the queue.

Ariel's Undersea Adventures is a ride I'd been on a dozen times at DCA. It's OK, but overall a pointless carbon copy addition for the MK.

Bottom line: you look at everything they added and can't help but shake your head, thinking "this is the best they could do with a half billion dollars?!?"

Old 05-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #99
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Carsland 2018 according to OTPN
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #100
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'm guessing not
Watch what you say about Avatarland! the defenders will come out of the woodwork to attack you, and you don't want to be called a "hater"
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #101
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post

watch what you say about avatarland! The defenders will come out of the woodwork to attack you, and you don't want to be called a "hater"
😄
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #102
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post

So now that "Josh's" rumor has proven to be incorrect, we're moving on to "Anonymous Reader"?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #103
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55

Probably better to quit while you're "ahead x -1"
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #104
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
😄

whatever that is, i can't see it. weird.
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #105
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post

whatever that is, i can't see it. weird.
Meant to be a smiley face
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: