Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Lucky'sMom
DIS Veteran

My DDs and I saw it yesterday, it was a sold-out show! I loved it. The scenery is just wonderful, I'm so glad that I got to see it on the big screen. We saw the 2D version. We always feel that WDW and Universal have spoiled us for seeing 3D movies...they are never as good as the 3D rides and shows at the theme parks.

2014-June, Windsor Hills pool home and HRH; 2012-July, RPR and Reunion resort pool home; May,Marriott's Grande Vista; 2011 -Jan: CSR and free dining! May: CBR (just DH and I!) ; 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential Suite!; 2008 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek and RPR; 2007 - POR, Wonder Cruise, BWV; 2006 - Springhill Suites, UO and PBH, Nick Hotel; 2005 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins; 2003 - Poly, OKW, AsMo; 2002 - UO and RPR; 2001 - Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2000 - Holiday Inn Family Suites, ASMu; 1996 - Swan; 1995 - Swan, ASSp, ASMu; 1994 - POFQ;1990 - College Spring Break, off-site; Many trips as a child
Lucky'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
nwbearcat
Earning My Ears

My DD 6 DD 8 DW and I saw it lastnight. We loved it. The original is one of my all time favorites, and I thought this was great on its own merit. The beginning was a bit slow but necessary in hindsight to tell the story. 140 million worldwide in its first weekend would indicate many were interested in seeing it.
nwbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
MickeyManiacMom
Mouseketeer

Our family saw it today in IMAX 3D. It was AMAZING. I really loved it and thought it had something for everyone. I was also impressed that it was the first movie I've seen in a long time that every aspect of the movie was in 3D, not just little bits and pieces flying at you every now and then.

Since we actually live in Kansas, the tornado scene was a bit intense for my son, so he covered his eyes until that was over. We have the sirens go off and have had to take cover more than once in his life, so to him that was just a bit TOO realistic.

I liked the cast, loved the costuming. (Hello halloween costume merchandising!)
ds Tyler (10)

MickeyManiacMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #19
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

We really enjoyed it. Got a little slow 1/3 of the way in. I would give it a B+ and consider purchasing it when it comes out on DVD.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
twoglasslippers
Earning My Ears

We saw it Friday and the theater was not quite sold-out, but close! We thought it was great! There were a few moments that were a little intense for the kids, but nothing that kept them scared once the scene was over. I'll buy it on DVD when it comes out.

twoglasslippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
donald...really
Gotta watch out for closed minded Winnie the Pooh fans...

With the mixed reviews we almost didn't see it, but there was nothing else we wanted to see so we went. I really liked it! REALLY liked it! Of course it was beautiful, but I also liked the story and the message. I have been recommending it.

Our boys, Weasley and Fester (as puppies then all grown up)
donald...really is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

I saw it yesterday....sold out show Sunday at 5 pm. I agree costumes, scenery, all great. Acting not so great...not awful...but not great. I liked how they explained a "pre'OZ" world. I though the beginning was slow, but my DD, 22 loved the beginning.

It may inspire me to actually read the book.

CBR - 1996 (June), 1997 (Feb), 2007 (July)
Dolphin - 2003 (April) 2008 (Mar), 2009 (July),
2010 (July)
Beach Club - 2012 (July)
Wilderness Lodge - 2013 (July)
Royal Pacific - July 2010
Portofino - July 2012
diskids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalb10 View Post
Did everyone spot the "new" ride if the movie goes well?
LOL! I thought the same thing when he was coming down the river in the hot air balloon basket.

CBR - 1996 (June), 1997 (Feb), 2007 (July)
Dolphin - 2003 (April) 2008 (Mar), 2009 (July),
2010 (July)
Beach Club - 2012 (July)
Wilderness Lodge - 2013 (July)
Royal Pacific - July 2010
Portofino - July 2012
diskids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #24
pellegirl
Mouseketeer

My husband and I saw it yesterday. I agree about the beginning being slow but necessary. Not a huge James Franco fan so I was so so about him. I thought the visuals were amazing but it got cheesy at the end for me. Loved Finley and China girl.
pellegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
Bewitch324
DIS Veteran

I was disappointed...I didn't really like James Franco's performance. I thought Mila Kunis' and Michelle Williams' performances were a bit cartoonish, I don't know, I just felt like everyone was over acting or something.

I loved the China doll and Finley, and of course there were amazing effects. Visually it was beautiful...although some of the 3D was too "trick" heavy for me and I found myself getting annoyed with that.

I just think James Franco's character (perhaps his performance of the character?) was just too unlikable and I never really bought into it for that reason I think.

Maybe I expected too much, I really wanted to love it. I loved the original Wizard of Oz so much and I really wanted this to be a big hit and wonderful.

Brooke
Bewitch324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #26
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

We went to see it yesterday, in 3d.

We really enjoyed it. Scenery, effects, and costuming were really well done. The score is amazing. We really enjoyed the foley effects (both the ones that were obvious, by making them part of the story, and the not so obvious ones). Finley, China Girl, and (IMHO) Nook really stole the show. I really did like the story and thought it was well thought out and well executed. I liked the direction they went in with Kunis character, too.

The acting was a little...broad (as in, overdone). And not just by Franco (where I could see it being part of his character). The dialogue was a bit schmaltzy, IMHO. I could have done without Kunis spending 1/2 the movie as, basically, a CGI character.

But all that is certainly nitpicking. It was a very good popcorn flick, our 3 kids loved it, and my wife and I enjoyed it, too.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag10576 View Post
Has anyone seen Oz the Great and Powerful? Thoughts?
~I thought Oz was "great", but it could have been epic with a better cast. I love Mila, but not as the wicked witch -- this was a poor casting decision, same with the wizard. We saw the film in E3 3D, which is like IMAX -- the visuals were stunning & breathtakingly beautiful! The theater was sold out, too! I was surprised that the box office numbers weren't higher.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #28
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_poppins View Post
Hey I am grateful we got an Oz garden at Epcot!

Larry
~I think this is a sign of things to come! Epcot's Future World could use the Land of OZ to break away from the "impossible to keep up with" futuristic theme! I think something timeless like Oz would be a much better fit. We'll see!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
jacksgirl
Mouseketeer

I would LOVE a Land of Oz theme for Future World.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
bigmamimia
Mouseketeer

I refuse to read reviews before I see movies because I like to form my own opinions. I thought this movie was so terrible. I did look at online reviews after and found this one that sums up exactly how I felt.
The Man (Not Yet) Behind the Curtain
"Franco fares badly when he's forced to hold conversations with characters who aren't really there: He looks as bored and distracted as he did when he hosted the Oscars, and he relies too much on a wide grin that makes him look manic instead of charming (imagine what Robert Downey Jr. could have done with this role). Things don't get any better when Oscar meets actual people, either. Mila Kunis (as a gentle witch), Rachel Weisz (as her conniving sister) and Michelle Williams (as Glinda the Good Witch) are all talented actresses, but they come off as disengaged as Franco, because most of the film was shot on green screen, and the leading man doesn't give them much to work with (Williams, who plays Glinda as a passive, soft-spoken willow of a woman, fares particularly badly)." — Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
bigmamimia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: