Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #76
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Richard-Great job!!!! Lots of success in the future events.

Pi}{ie-Even though you don't like me from that other thread, , I suspect you will also be successful in your endeavours and make Boston with time to spare. Good Luck.

McFlurry John
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #77
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Richard-Great job!!!! Lots of success in the future events.

Pi}{ie-Even though you don't like me from that other thread, , I suspect you will also be successful in your endeavours and make Boston with time to spare. Good Luck.

McFlurry John
I like you fine we just have different opinions on things . Opinions are like voluntary anal sphincters we all have one so its best to accept that and move on.

I also don't have OA, I have RA/AS a very different animal. A very very crappy animal. Hence my urgency to get this done last couple of years have been a real uphill battle for me.

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #78
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

Pixi, I think you need to follow what you need to do. Last year I decided to focus on the run and went from a 2:40 half marathon to a 2:03 half marathon. I think this set me up for the best time to go for an Ironman. Boston is like Kona for me a very nice pipe dream. So go for what you think is best for you and your life.

Also just letting people know that soon you will be able to purchase champion system gear including the tri stuff in WISH.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #79
Duanerice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygreenhippo View Post
I'm looking for some advice on clipless shoes. I went to the local bike shop and tried on a bunch of different pairs. It seems like it's more common to see bike shoes with velcro straps, but oddly the pair that I found most comfortable has laces. I'm thinking that in a triathlon the velcro would be faster in transition, am I right? I'm not looking to be uber competitive in my first tri, so on one hand the few extra seconds it takes to lace up probably doesn't matter. But I was wondering how long a pair of bike shoes typically lasts? If I do end up liking triathlons and want to be more competitive in the future I don't want to regret my purchase. Maybe I should go with my second choice even though the shoes weren't quite as comfortable?
Hey there,
I've never heard or laced bike shoes. Maybe they are for off road. Get the Velcro. And yes, they will last many years if you get a decent pair. Mine are on year 3. Funny but when I bought my first pair I was struggling paying, at that time $150 for a pair of bike shoes. Then I got to thinking, these would last years and I was buying a new pair of $120 running shoes every 6 months.
Duane
Goofy January 2014
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #80
Duanerice
DIS Veteran

Nice race Richard. That is a decent time, nothing to scoff at.

John, nice riding with you last week. You blew the doors off. I knew I had to run, no way I could keep that pace and run too. See you at the race.

I'm heading to New Orleans 70.3 this week. Actually we are going for the food and there just happens to be a race Sunday Unfortunately my wife cannot make it so I am going alone. We usually make a vacation of it but not this year. That's OK as I will have some of my best friends there.
enjoy,
Duane
Goofy January 2014
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #81
ironz
could always use some pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanerice View Post
Nice race Richard. That is a decent time, nothing to scoff at.

John, nice riding with you last week. You blew the doors off. I knew I had to run, no way I could keep that pace and run too. See you at the race.

I'm heading to New Orleans 70.3 this week. Actually we are going for the food and there just happens to be a race Sunday Unfortunately my wife cannot make it so I am going alone. We usually make a vacation of it but not this year. That's OK as I will have some of my best friends there.
enjoy,
Duane
Duane, have fun at NOLA!! We did it last year...so no swim (they made us run 2 miles instead ). Bike was flat and fast and windy. Run was good, but you will be on the new/old course going back to FQ which is what we would have liked last year, though it did make the logistics easier to not have to have a split transition/finish. We enjoyed it, overall!
Good luck!

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #82
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Duane-Have a great race. Thanks for the compliment. Been almost 30 years on a ride like that, meaning a ride with hills. I have a Giant Propel SL3 coming this week so I plan on getting back to Haines City for a ride and run on the 28th if all goes well. This time I will not be riding with tools and a cable lock in my seat bag.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #83
Duanerice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironz View Post
Duane, have fun at NOLA!! We did it last year...so no swim (they made us run 2 miles instead ). Bike was flat and fast and windy. Run was good, but you will be on the new/old course going back to FQ which is what we would have liked last year, though it did make the logistics easier to not have to have a split transition/finish. We enjoyed it, overall!
Good luck!
Thanks Betsy. I did it 2 years ago and no swim that year either. We didn't have the extra run just a TT bike start.

I wasn't going to sign up unless it ended in the FQ like the first time I did it. It was great place to finish. They did change it a bit this year so it doesn't finish in the same place. And yea the split transition is a pain.
Duane
Goofy January 2014
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #84
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Duane, Have a great time!! Hopefully figuratively AND literally....
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #85
scottashackleton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch_lover_Sith View Post
This is a place to talk about races, ask questions, and just be around people who are like minded.

My race schedule is LavaMan Waikaloa, HI this month, Honolulu Triathlon, HI and Shawnegan Lake, BC Half in May, Ironman Lake Placid, NY in July.

My big question is I have two races that I will need a wetsuit and a third that might be wetsuit legal. Should I buy a wetsuit for at most three races this year or should I rent at the two that I really want one for.

Aslo I dont think these shoes have been mentioned here on the WISH boards but the Hoka One One shoes are great. They are a bit pricier than a traditional running shoe but you can use pretty much any stride with them. They last about 700 Miles, and they are super light. If you do a lot of running you might want to check these out.
I'll be at IMLP this year as well. Did it last year as my first full. It was an experience I will never forget. The crowds and atmosphere top that of most marathons and the weather was flawless. I'm hoping for an even better experience this year! If you have any questions let me know.
scottashackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #86
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottashackleton View Post

I'll be at IMLP this year as well. Did it last year as my first full. It was an experience I will never forget. The crowds and atmosphere top that of most marathons and the weather was flawless. I'm hoping for an even better experience this year! If you have any questions let me know.
Thanks for the offer. I have actually volunteered at IMLP for three years back ending in 2008. I choose to do this as my first because of this plus because of the proximity to my family. For spectators of course.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #87
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

With confidence regarding right shoulder diagnosis from my orthopedic surgeon, needs total replacement, I had a visit with a shoulder specific ortho-surgeon. He viewed my November MRI. Same answer but added some additional pep talk.

After looking at MRI, first question was regarding pain/inflamation drug(s) I was taking. I told him none, I use spices, and he concluded I was either a glutton for pain or had a very high tolerance for pain. Rotator is excellent as are muscles/tendons but on a scale of mild, moderate, severe amount of wear I am beyond severe. Nothing will help so I guess for now I will be happy to be last out of the water and make up time on the bike while doing some therapy as I ride. Must look funny to anybody behind me.

Five weeks from Sunday is Haines City 70.3 and I am so looking foreward to it on my new bike.

Last edited by John VN; 04-17-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #88
JimB.
DIS Veteran

John - I'll race you to be last out of the water..............
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #89
Duanerice
DIS Veteran

Had a great weekend in New Orleans. I was there with 14 other people and we all said we were there for the weekend and just happened to have a race on Sunday. With Haines City coming up this was just a training race. Itís a shame because it could have been a fast race. But, I told a friend that Iíd stay with him.

Swim was a stupid time trial Ė can you tell I didnít like it Someone started every 3 seconds. We didnít start until after 9 am (out of transition at 6:30 am) and other waves were closer to 9:30. That is unacceptable at a race with about 1500 people. They could have easily started us in water by waves like they did the pros. The water was 64 degrees and just jumping it was a shock. It took my breath away, I could not catch my breath for about 20 seconds. Took about 10 stokes before I could comfortably put my face in the water. Once we got going the swim was fine. My hands were cold but that was about it. Did I say stupid time trial start

I waited in T1 for a friend of mine. My T1 time was over 12 minutes and it wasnít a long transition. I changed clothes, packed my gear bag, went to the bathroom then he was ready. The ride was super windy for the first 25 miles. There was a stretch of about 15 miles that was straight into the wind. So Iíd go a bit then slow up so he could catch up. Finally after the turn around I let him go ahead so I knew how fast to go. We didnít draft just stayed close.

Last 6 miles there was a strong wind at our back so I told him weíd meet in transition and I took off. You guys know that feeling with the wind at your back. Just love it! Got back to T1, changed and packed the rest of my gear. This was only a 6 min transition (getting faster) Took off for the run and walked the first Ĺ mile as we were verifying dinner reservations. Priorities you know. He cramped up and about this time another teammate was coming by. I took off with her as he would hook up with the next teammate that came by. We were all in the last waves. Had a great run pacing her to her best 70.3 run by over 20 minutes. Also kept me about 1 min over my normal pace which was enough for a workout but not enough to hurt the next day

It was strange crossing the finish line feeling so good. Usually the last mile is brutal but I was feeling good. Overall race was good. I had fun hanging with my peeps.

The race itself needs some work. They ďcheapenedĒ the race this year. Might be because it was only $150 to enter. The Expo was nothing to speak of but I really didnít expect anything else. What did surprise me was we did not get a hat at the finish. Every WTC event I have done we got a hat at the finish. The goody bags really had nothing in them and they were the type of bags you get at a local race. Usually the WTC bags are real nice. The nice ones, like we received previously were on sale for $12.95. Really? Not that I need a bag but come on. The aid stations on the run were great. The aid stations on the bike stunk. Not once did we receive anything cold. Everything was straight out of the box, air temp. No food to speak of, there were gels at one station. Very disappointed. Food was pretty nonexistent at the finish. I hear they had pizza, we didnít see any. Might have to do with our starting position, who knows.

Not sure if Iíd go back. The race aside we had a total blast in New Orleans. Never laughed so hard in a weekend. I was probably tired just from laughing.
See many of you in Haines City.
Duane
Goofy January 2014
Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #90
garneska
Mouseketeer

Training Update

Just wanted to pop in and give a quick update, as well as push this thread back to the top.

I did a quarter mile swim in the pool and then a hard 18 mile bike ride. Tomorrow will be an easy 10 miler on the bike and a 4 mile run. I am still worried about the swim but i think the bike and run will be fine.

I am actually hoping to do an open water swim. My swim instructor takes people out which is great. We have had way too much rain so the lakes had E Coli warnings so no open water swim yet. I still have 3 weekeds to train so I should get one open water swim in.

I have to admit since learning to swim, i actually enjoy the swimming part, am just not that good. I feel confident with doing the quarter mile, now i just need to work on doing it faster and not resting between my laps.

Good luck everyone!

Goofy Finisher 2010 2011 2012 2013 and 2014
Mickey Finisher 2003 (yes i said 2003) 2008 and 2009
Donald Finisher 2007
Disneyland Half Marathon 2010 and 2012
garneska is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: