DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #31
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post

You know what happened? The young couple showed their Guide who was boss a few weeks later by calling him and buying.

."
They didn't show the guide who was boss if they purchased from him. All they did was give into his sales tactic of making them feel small in order to buy. They should have bought resale and then called him to tell him about it. Now that would have been the ultimate smack in the face.

But I find the OP's story hilarious and if it were me, I would have answered with the mouse can I have my money, but you can't
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #32
Breyean
DVC Since '93

We stop by the kiosks once in a while if there's no other guests there. Sometimes we just feel sorry for the CM just standing there alone; sometimes we're killing time waiting for friends to finish a ride. We've always just had a nice chat about how long we've been members (long time) which impresses some of them who have barely been alive that long!

Once we took the DVC tour at DLR because they were showing Aulani rooms and we had just bought there while on a cruise. The Guide asked if another family could join us, and since we weren't going to buy and didn't want to waste his time, we said sure. They turned out to be a nice younger couple with a couple of kids and they seemed really interested in DVC.

My wife and I got to talking to them and they started asking US more questions about DVC than the Guide, which I guess makes some sense since they wanted to hear from people who were already members.

We told them the truth about how much we've loved it and how much it meant to our family growing up. What we DID NOT DO was mention resale or renting points since we didn't think it was the right setting or time and they didn't ask.

The Guide pulled us aside after we split from the other family after the tour and thanked us for the recommendations and good reviews for DVC. We sort of felt like shills that con men use in the movies, but we also felt we had been honest about our experiences with DVC.

To top things off, a few months later we got a call out of the blue from some DVC marketing department wanting to know if we w/b interested in appearing in one of their promotional videos. You know, the ones they show non stop on the tvs at the resorts. The had ABD trips and BLT stays planned for the video, but we couldn't do it because of the timing.

I wonder if that call was related to our experience as temporary "guides" on that DLR visit to the DVC sales center.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #33
darby888
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
People give out too much information when dealing with others, whether its a DVC kiosk rep or your mother in law, and then wonder why they end up in arguments. A sales rep isn't entitled to more information than "Sorry, not interested." When you start giving reasons for not being interested, you open yourself up to arguments about those reasons.
So true.... Be respectful.... If you know that sales rep can't get anywhere with you, you should have been more careful with any discussion.

You have the upper hand.... Remember he can't walk away, he's working and his directive to promote the product and get the sale.

5th Trip 11/10/12 9nts - 3nts-AOA/AKV Jambo Sav One BD 4th Trip - 11/5/11 7nts - Aulani Island Studio 3rd Trip -10/19/2010 9nts - AKV Kidani Std Studio/BCV One BD 2nd Trip 4/29/2009 11 nts - WL Courtyard View/BWI Std View 1st Trip - 9/20/2008 7nts/Free Dining - AKL Savannah Studio
darby888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
My wife and I got to talking to them and they started asking US more questions about DVC than the Guide, which I guess makes some sense since they wanted to hear from people who were already members.

We told them the truth about how much we've loved it and how much it meant to our family growing up. What we DID NOT DO was mention resale or renting points since we didn't think it was the right setting or time and they didn't ask.

The Guide pulled us aside after we split from the other family after the tour and thanked us for the recommendations and good reviews for DVC. We sort of felt like shills that con men use in the movies, but we also felt we had been honest about our experiences with DVC.
I think this is a great idea and isn't this what the member's mingle at AKV is all about? Members mingling with prospective buyers? You know that salesmen are really just trying to sell you something but when you meet a accountant or nurse or a teacher from Dayton OH who really enjoy and understand their membership, wouldn't that help potential buyers feel better about considering a purchase? I know if we had had an experience like that we probably would have bought sooner. But maybe that's just us.

Last edited by DizBub; 03-16-2013 at 07:18 AM.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #35
LOVEARS
AK 2 FL

Wow, Did they really turn down the opprotunity to get free "Ultimate Fast Passes" for watching a presentation?

LOVEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #36
Dolf
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub

I think this is a great idea and isn't this what the member's mingle at AKV is all about? Members mingling with prospective buyers? You know that salesmen a really just trying to sell you something but when you meet a accountant or nurse or a teacher from Dayton OH who really enjoy and understand their membership, wouldn't that help potential buyers feel better about considering a purchase? I know if we had had a experience like that we probably would have bought sooner. But maybe that's just us.
You know maybe DVC should create this kind of program for current members to mingle about their experiences directly with the prospective buyers. Every referral should get the DVC Member their referral fee. I would be hanging out at DVC to pay back some of my annual dues.
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #37
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
I think this is a great idea and isn't this what the member's mingle at AKV is all about? Members mingling with prospective buyers? You know that salesmen are really just trying to sell you something but when you meet a accountant or nurse or a teacher from Dayton OH who really enjoy and understand their membership, wouldn't that help potential buyers feel better about considering a purchase? I know if we had had an experience like that we probably would have bought sooner. But maybe that's just us.
The mingle is for existing owners not new prospective buyers. Disney knows better than to take a chance mixing new prospects with an existing owner who may talk negatively and possibly kill a sale.

The few times that I have been in a mixed company group setting, the Guides hold their breath each time an existing owner speaks.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #38
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
The mingle is for existing owners not new prospective buyers. Disney knows better than to take a chance mixing new prospects with an existing owner who may talk negatively and possibly kill a sale.

The few times that I have been in a mixed company group setting, the Guides hold their breath each time an existing owner speaks.

Bill
Odd....I would think that active owners would be some of their best salespeople. The single biggest turn off for us before we actually bought was that NOBODY would give us hard numbers and practical information about using the membership. It was all vague pie-in-the-sky (Cruises! Europe!) and in general blowing pixie dust up the wahzoo. Made us feel like they were hiding something. When it was finally all laid out is when we felt could do this.

Maybe I'm weird but I would like to hear some of the negatives if just for a balanced perspective. Nothing is all good or all bad.

BTW, I had heard that the events at AKV was to mingle existing and prospective buyers earlier when it first started.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #39
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Odd....I would think that active owners would be some of their best salespeople. The single biggest turn off for us before we actually bought was that NOBODY would give us hard numbers and practical information about using the membership. It was all vague pie-in-the-sky (Cruises! Europe!) and in general blowing pixie dust up the wahzoo. Made us feel like they were hiding something. When it was finally all laid out is when we felt could do this.

Maybe I'm weird but I would like to hear some of the negatives if just for a balanced perspective. Nothing is all good or all bad.

BTW, I had heard that the events at AKV was to mingle existing and prospective buyers earlier when it first started.
No. Ask a member if the rooms are clean and 5 out of 10 members are likely to give an answer other than "of course, they sparkle." Probably 9 out of ten are less enthusiastic on the topic than DVC would want you to be.

Ask a member what trade outs are like - and half of them will say RCI trades aren't a good value - but they are a huge value to DVC sales.

At that point, they hold their breath and hope the member doesn't mention resales at half price.

Lets hope no one brings up buying a cheap resale at SSR and then booking a BWV standard room for food and wine. The member may point out that while the cheap resale is a great deal, their chances of getting that standard view room are pretty darn slim. 'Cause that might bring up other unrealistic expectations new members have about availability - GCV, BLT, BCV, short notice reservations.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #40
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Ask a member what trade outs are like - and half of them will say RCI trades aren't a good value - but they are a huge value to DVC sales.

At that point, they hold their breath and hope the member doesn't mention resales at half price.

Lets hope no one brings up buying a cheap resale at SSR and then booking a BWV standard room for food and wine. The member may point out that while the cheap resale is a great deal, their chances of getting that standard view room are pretty darn slim. 'Cause that might bring up other unrealistic expectations new members have about availability - GCV, BLT, BCV, short notice reservations.
I guess my mind just doesn't work that way. I would always expect rooms to be clean. We haven't had the occasion to trade RCI and don't want to. Honestly, I would not mention resale in front of a DVC guide but if I had the opportunity to let them know about it privately I would.

I would mention unrealistic expectations in regards to availability and short notice reservations......I would stress planning and booking as early as possible so they aren't disappointed. Assuming that most members travel once or twice a year because of work and school schedules they should be able to plan accordingly. On the other hand, I look at some of those last minute trips as learning experiences and have been very pleasantly surprised. But that's just me.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #41
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I guess my mind just doesn't work that way. I would always expect rooms to be clean. We haven't had the occasion to trade RCI and don't want to. Honestly, I would not mention resale in front of a DVC guide but if I had the opportunity to let them know about it privately I would.

I would mention unrealistic expectations in regards to availability and short notice reservations......I would stress planning and booking as early as possible so they aren't disappointed. Assuming that most members travel once or twice a year because of work and school schedules they should be able to plan accordingly. On the other hand, I look at some of those last minute trips as learning experiences and have been very pleasantly surprised. But that's just me.
Disney only paints a positive picture of DVC ownership, not the realities of it. They show you pictures of happy families vacationing all over the world and nothing about lack of availability, increasing cost of dues, point reallocations, $95 booking fee, and room that need better cleaning and maintenance.

The general public, our family included thought that Disney was different from other companies and we thought that we were buying into a magical room in a magical place and that the pictures, videos, presentation and rooms in the tours were what we were buying.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #42
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I expect rooms to be clean, but I also know that while my rooms have been "acceptable" they haven't met the cleanliness standards of a lot of people - I'm "not picky" and don't mind wiping a little jam off a countertop. So I couldn't tell someone at a sales event that I found the rooms clean, because I doubt everyone would agree with what I've found over the past decade of ownership is clean.

I could never not disclose the resale market as an option to anyone considering a purchase. Not "if asked" - I could not ethically choose to not disclose it. I think people have a right to make fully informed decisions, and I think I have a responsibility to inform those decisions.

I could never ethically encourage someone to "buy right there" - a major luxury purchase to the tune of $20k needs to be researched and considered. It also needs to be prioritized - behind saving for retirement and college for your kids.

I'm a great reason why they'd never encourage a mingle. I also could never do sales - my Dad did and my sister does, and it isn't a profession that fits with my ethics. I do compliance and governance, fits me much better.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

The cast members staffing the DVC Kiosks are not Guides, aka salespeople. They cannot sell you anything. They are there to give information to those interested in purchasing and set up appointments. And, yes they do have a quota to reach.

That being said rudeness is never acceptable. But, if renting is presented to the CM at a kiosk do not expect loving and warm wishes. They are employed to set up appointments, not welcome alternatives to buying DVC...

That also being said, my DH and I also frequently stop at the kiosks to give a little pixie dust to the folks standing there. It is a difficult job and a little friendliness goes a long way. Just make their day a little brighter and spread a little cheer.

IMHO anyone who frequently rents may want to seek out information on purchasing their own membership. It does have its perks and ease of use at times...
Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #44
OneMoreTry

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twe1vestone2 View Post
So last month I was walking through Downtown Disney, and I stopped at a DVC stand because an Aulani picture caught my eye. So I decided to stop and check out the pics. A DVC sales rep comes up to me and begins doing his thing. I explained to him that I normally rent from other DVC owners (Thanks Disboards!) and I have no reason to actually buy my own DVC membership. As he proceeded to try to find good reasons for me to buy one, I kept coming back with good reasons for me to NOT buy one.

At this point his frustration is building, and its becoming very obvious. So he throws in the final attempt and invites me to a session the next morning, to which I replied "No thank you, I have breakfast reservations". As I walked away he nastily retorts, "That's fine. The mouse will get your money either way..." and walks away.

Are you serious??? lol I was stunned! Anybody else have any similar experiences??
So you guys are basically being trolls at the kiosk and are surprised he gets upset?

I agree he should have maintained composure and emotionally cut bait after your second snide remark. I hope he will apply what he learned from you to the next rude people he meets.
OneMoreTry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #45
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
I could never ethically encourage someone to "buy right there" - a major luxury purchase to the tune of $20k needs to be researched and considered. It also needs to be prioritized - behind saving for retirement and college for your kids.
I could never be a salesperson, even for DVC. But look at car sales. There is a thriving resale market for used cars, in fact all dealerships have both new and used cars on their lots. Most people I know will only buy new cars, knowing full well of the immediate depreciation the minute you drive it off the lot. The last brand new car we bought was in 1996 and will never buy another. We actually need a replacement for our 2005 van and just don't want to face the high pressure sales tactics we are forced to deal with, even for a used one.

As far as research on products, if I had paid attention to all the reviews of various dishwashers and microwaves I researched I still wouldn't have new ones. The ones I ended up buying have been perfect for over 2 years. I took a chance and things have worked out very well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: