DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
The salesperson intimidates the buyer and trys to make them feel guilty for taking up their time when they KNEW they weren't going to buy anything. They play on the guilt. They are basically preying on the less intelligent or less educated buyer. It won't always work, but it works often enough that sleezy salesmen use that tactic.
I distinctly remember one person who posted a few years ago. They were staying at POP, took the DVC tour with really no intention to buy. The Guide more or less said to them: "Well, people who stay at the Values really can't afford this." There were pages and pages of sympathetic posters on here on DISboards along the lines of Well I Never and Cast Members Should Not and You Must Get a New Guide etc. etc.

You know what happened? The young couple showed their Guide who was boss a few weeks later by calling him and buying.

As an aside: OP, there's really nothing wrong with a generic "No, we wouldn't be interested" rather than the equivalent of "I'm actively subverting the sales process."
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble
I distinctly remember one person who posted a few years ago. They were staying at POP, took the DVC tour with really no intention to buy. The Guide more or less said to them: "Well, people who stay at the Values really can't afford this."

You know what happened? The young couple showed their Guide who was boss a few weeks later by calling him and buying.
That method definitely works on some! DH sold cars for awhile and many of the experienced sales guys loved that method. Offends some (we had it used on us and we left as soon as they gave DH's license back after the test drive) but gets them enough sales to keep on using it.

I wonder if the kiosk guy would feel that he was offensive or just funny.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
The young couple showed their Guide who was boss a few weeks later by calling him and buying.
I would propose that he showed them who's boss by enticing them to buy with an effective approach. After all, they shelled out thousands of dollars and he got a commission.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
a742246
older than dirt

I stop by the DVC Kiosks all the time and I never had a problem with them, I
would tell them I am a happy member and if they continue with a sales pitch
I tell them they are very good at their job and wish them luck. But I would never contradict each of their sales pitches with a negative reply. I always tell people to treat people the same you want to be treated.

I do not agree with the salesperson's final reply especially if it was not done in good humor.

But, to the OP you need to have thicker skin. You can not let something like this bother you for over a month.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I would propose that he showed them who's boss by enticing them to buy with an effective approach. After all, they shelled out thousands of dollars and he got a commission.
Yes, that was exactly my point.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a742246 View Post
I stop by the DVC Kiosks all the time and I never had a problem with them, I
would tell them I am a happy member and if they continue with a sales pitch
I tell them they are very good at their job and wish them luck. But I would never contradict each of their sales pitches with a negative reply. I always tell people to treat people the same you want to be treated.

I do not agree with the salesperson's final reply especially if it was not done in good humor.

But, to the OP you need to have thicker skin. You can not let something like this bother you for over a month.
People give out too much information when dealing with others, whether its a DVC kiosk rep or your mother in law, and then wonder why they end up in arguments. A sales rep isn't entitled to more information than "Sorry, not interested." When you start giving reasons for not being interested, you open yourself up to arguments about those reasons.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Yes, that was exactly my point.
Yikes, my bad. I guess I didn't get enough sleep last night, your sarcasm went right over my head....!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #23
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble
I distinctly remember one person who posted a few years ago. They were staying at POP, took the DVC tour with really no intention to buy. The Guide more or less said to them: "Well, people who stay at the Values really can't afford this." There were pages and pages of sympathetic posters on here on DISboards along the lines of Well I Never and Cast Members Should Not and You Must Get a New Guide etc. etc.

As an aside: OP, there's really nothing wrong with a generic "No, we wouldn't be interested" rather than the equivalent of "I'm actively subverting the sales process."
Yeah, they really showed him..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twe1vestone2 View Post
So last month I was walking through Downtown Disney, and I stopped at a DVC stand because an Aulani picture caught my eye. So I decided to stop and check out the pics. A DVC sales rep comes up to me and begins doing his thing. I explained to him that I normally rent from other DVC owners (Thanks Disboards!) and I have no reason to actually buy my own DVC membership. As he proceeded to try to find good reasons for me to buy one, I kept coming back with good reasons for me to NOT buy one.

At this point his frustration is building, and its becoming very obvious. So he throws in the final attempt and invites me to a session the next morning, to which I replied "No thank you, I have breakfast reservations". As I walked away he nastily retorts, "That's fine. The mouse will get your money either way..." and walks away.

Are you serious??? lol I was stunned! Anybody else have any similar experiences??
I think you brought this on yourself.

Renting IS NOT superior to owning.

While it's fine to say, "DVC isn't for us now," I think you are only goading salespeople by trying to argue renting is as good as buying.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
My thought was "how refreshingly honest."

Its so easy for so many of us to forget that Disney is a corporation out to make money.

Too many stories like this - not the salesperson being rude, but the base story of "I couldn't get him in because he rents points" getting back to DVD are, IMHO, likely to create additional restrictions to renting. For instance "only members can get a dining plan - you must be a member or traveling with a member." Or "only members can use ME." Or "only members can make room requests - if you aren't a member (or traveling with a member) you get whatever rooms are left." Because, as a corporation, they want "the mouse to get your money one way or another" and they'd prefer that way be the one with the biggest margins to Disney.
Yes, this.

Disney eventually closes loopholes to be able to protect their own sales, and make the higher cost per point direct worth it.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
tazhughes
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla

While it's fine to say, "DVC isn't for us now," I think you are only goading salespeople by trying to argue renting is as good as buying.
I have to agree with this. Arguing with a guide that renting is better than owning is just goading them.
tazhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Disney ASA's and Guides are trained for their jobs, but people are people and some show emotion even when they shouldn't.

Disney CM's are on stage when around the public, how they really feel sometimes comes out.

Disney is known for low pay and the DVD people are paid a minimal salary. The real money is when they sell but many can't even afford the vacations that they are selling. Talking to food servers at Disney, most can't afford to eat at work even with their discount.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc2003 View Post
If they had financial issues later that make him 2 for 2.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
Dean
DIS Veteran

Sometimes I stop by or ease through the kiosk areas. I generally don't say much if they're working with someone, if they're not it's usually just that we are already owners and a little chit chat. Occasionally an ASA will try to rope us in to their discussion thinking we'll put them over the top for making a tour commitment. They're usually wishing they hadn't when we answer their questions honestly but we don't expand much unless asked. There's no reason to pee in their cereal uninvited, they're just trying to do their job and make a living and most are very nice from my experience.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post

This was my point, you said it better. I would think if you go to a salesperson and basically say, this, you are asking for an argument from them.

As I said, there is no excuse for being rude, and honestly since I was not there and did not hear the tone of both participants, not sure it was even rude; but I definitely understand the frustration.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: