Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
I don't want to hijack but I have a question. They say don't eat from China and don't eat farm raised. What is left for tilapia or flounder ?
What "they" say and what you can actually afford or get is something else you have to take into consideration.

It is healthier to eat the farmed salmon than to not eat salmon at all.

Now granted feeding the salmon the "coloring food" is not healthy for us I am sure, but again, unless you are a very strict vegan, you eat it already in other processed food. So damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Tilpia is mainly farmed raised, good luck finding "wild tilapia". I won't eat it because I don't like it. The RUMOR of tilapia is that they are poop eaters. I don't know if that is true but I do know for a fact that prisons have gotten into the farming of fish, driving the local businesses out of business. It is hard for me to eat it just for that reason. "Whole Foods" sells "Prison Tilapia" as it is called.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
scoutie
DIS Veteran

lucas The same reason they are allowed to sell toys with lead and other harmful materials in them. The almighty dollar.

To the OP--Whole Foods is where I buy fresh seafood.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas
I don't understand why the stores are allowed to sell fish from China if it is harmful to you.
Because people generally don't agree that it is harmful to you.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine

What "they" say and what you can actually afford or get is something else you have to take into consideration.

It is healthier to eat the farmed salmon than to not eat salmon at all.

Now granted feeding the salmon the "coloring food" is not healthy for us I am sure, but again, unless you are a very strict vegan, you eat it already in other processed food. So damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Tilpia is mainly farmed raised, good luck finding "wild tilapia". I won't eat it because I don't like it. The RUMOR of tilapia is that they are poop eaters. I don't know if that is true but I do know for a fact that prisons have gotten into the farming of fish, driving the local businesses out of business. It is hard for me to eat it just for that reason. "Whole Foods" sells "Prison Tilapia" as it is called.
Why is it a problem that a prison is farming fish? If they were growing cows, would that be OK? What if they were growing corn? Building furniture? Training dogs?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
traces7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
lucas The same reason they are allowed to sell toys with lead and other harmful materials in them. The almighty dollar.

To the OP--Whole Foods is where I buy fresh seafood.
We have a Whole Foods about 35 miles from here that I want to go check out!
traces7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Why is it a problem that a prison is farming fish? If they were growing cows, would that be OK? What if they were growing corn? Building furniture? Training dogs?
Because they only pay the prisoners X cents per hour to work, it is tax payer supported, and non prison fish farms cannot compete with those prices.

Basically it is like WalMart coming in and wiping out the small business owner.

Prison farming is a seriously multi million dollar business.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #22
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by traces7 View Post
We have a Whole Foods about 35 miles from here that I want to go check out!
Bring a lot of money. They don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothing.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine

Because they only pay the prisoners X cents per hour to work, it is tax payer supported, and non prison fish farms cannot compete with those prices.

Basically it is like WalMart coming in and wiping out the small business owner.

Prison farming is a seriously multi million dollar business.
I getcha. You don't shop at any big retailer like Walmart and you see this as the same thing. I thought that you had some problem with the actual fish.

I'd love to have a conversation about prison products, but that's for a different thread.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I getcha. You don't shop at any big retailer like Walmart and you see this as the same thing. I thought that you had some problem with the actual fish.

I'd love to have a conversation about prison products, but that's for a different thread.
Oh no, I shop WalMart however not sure about "prison fish". It is just a whole other topic like you said.

But interesting enough Whole Foods is the major recipient of "prison tilapia".

Good, bad, not sure what to think of it really. I just know it is exists and puts the small fish farming business out of work because they seriously undercut the price.

Now I mainly do not eat tilapia because I don't like it.

I suppose you could get into the whole issue of sustainability with wild fish. and then there is the issue of capture of other species in the nets and so forth.

I guess pick your battles.

On a more interesting note....did you know that a percentage of fish passed off in restaurants is not what you ordered?

Like I said this topic is so wrought with "shade" that you would starve to death, right. The you have "bung" being passed off as calamari...but everyone will swear it does not happen.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the nutritive value of wild-caught saltwater fish from Chinese territorial waters. I eat them all the time; I buy them live at my local Chinese fish market and clean them myself; so I know exactly what species they are.

Freshwater fish is another matter. The problem with a lot of freshwater fish farming in China is not the so much the methods that are used, which are the same as they would be anywhere, but the possibility of heavy-metals contamination in the water due to the proximity of other industries.

Farmed fish will always have issues related to the cleanliness of the water that it is raised in, but part of the function of some species is that their eating habits clean the water. Catfish are in this category, and so are tilapia. For this reason, they will always taste like mud regardless of whether they are wild-caught or farmed, because they are filter-feeding species that ingest mud in order to get nutrients out of it. With fried catfish you can get past that by using very heavily-spiced breading, but that normally is not a satisfactory solution for tilapia. I don't eat it for that reason; it's not bad for me, but I just don't like the way that it tastes. (I grew up knowing Tilapia as "trash-fish" because that is what they were considered at the time: good for bait or animal feed, but not for human consumption because of taste. People CAN eat most trash-fish species; it is just that most of us prefer not to.)

For the record, there is also a very large tilapia-raising industry in Mexico; they are normally raised in the drainage canals of vegetable farms to provide some extra income.

As for prison-farming, that is an economic issue. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the nutritive value of the fish.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
tasha99
DIS Veteran

I would think there would be Alaskan cod, halibut (a flatfish like flounder) and salmon (red/sockeye, silver/coho, or king/chinook) in most markets. I would avoid Atlantic salmon as it is farmed and dyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
snip

On a more interesting note....did you know that a percentage of fish passed off in restaurants is not what you ordered?

Like I said this topic is so wrought with "shade" that you would starve to death, right. The you have "bung" being passed off as calamari...but everyone will swear it does not happen.
This is a huge issue and one I find shocking. I want to know where my fish is from and what it is. I catch my own for home meals, but that doesn't matter when I go out for sushi.

Last edited by tasha99; 03-10-2013 at 01:13 PM.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
I don't understand why the stores are allowed to sell fish from China if it is harmful to you.
Probably because it isn't any more harmful than many fish from U.S. waterways.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Interesting comments on Tilapia. They are not poop eaters by the way, they are commonly planted in waterways clogged with vegetation to clear it. Although lobster, crab, oysters and clams are poop eaters, and taste just fine to me.
Never really noticed a distinct flavor to Tialapi, which may explain why they are marketed as the mildest tasting fish you can buy. They were a fish commonly mentioned in the bible, and have been a food staple in the Middle East for centuries. They are a fast growing fish, so they are less likely to pickup up contaminants from water. The bad news is, they really aren't a good source of Omega 3, which is why many folks are eating more fish.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #29
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure who "they" are that say you shouldn't buy farmed fish, but like so much in the food realm, what you should and shouldn't buy really depends on what your priorities are. I try to buy my seafood with sustainability in mind. In that case, farmed talapia is actually fantastic and listed as a "Best Choice" by Seafood Watch.
You can see what Best, Good, and Avoid choices and learn a lot more about healthful eating of fish here:
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c...ions.aspx?c=ln

They have a printable pocket guide, as well as an app, so you can bring the info with you when you shop.

As for where to buy non-Chinese fish, my local safeway has plenty of fish not from China in their fresh fish section. I haven't ever really looked at the frozen fish very closely, so I'm not sure if it's all from China there or not.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Interesting comments on Tilapia. They are not poop eaters by the way, they are commonly planted in waterways clogged with vegetation to clear it. Although lobster, crab, oysters and clams are poop eaters, and taste just fine to me.
Never really noticed a distinct flavor to Tialapi, which may explain why they are marketed as the mildest tasting fish you can buy. They were a fish commonly mentioned in the bible, and have been a food staple in the Middle East for centuries. They are a fast growing fish, so they are less likely to pickup up contaminants from water. The bad news is, they really aren't a good source of Omega 3, which is why many folks are eating more fish.
I would never call Tilapia a mild flavored fish. To me, a mild fish would be halibut or cod. Years ago, my son told me he didn't mind having fish for dinner, but no tilapia or salmon. I tried to sneak tilapia it in a few times, but he could always tell because of the muddy flavor.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: