Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Candleinthewind
Mouseketeer

Minors traveling with single parent and passports...interesting

Quietly Princess Cruises made a chance to their policy when a single parent is traveling with a minor child.

Quote:
PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES)

When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all passengers must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all passengers traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.
This can be found here: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_an...se/prepare.jsp under the Travel Documents requirements.

Note that this is a requirement by Princess. It makes me wonder if all cruise lines will follow their lead including DCL. We have all passports and just budget them in to our travels. It is not optional as far as we are concerned.
Candleinthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I'm just happy to see that they explained WHY the rule was implemented. Hopefully people travelling will realize it really is in their best interest. I guess a few who do not want to pay the extra for passports will just use a different cruiseline, but at least Princess is protecting themselves from the impossible situations caused by parents needing to be separated from minors in emergency cases. It isn't good for the passengers OR the cruise line to try to deal with a mom going all mama bear about her hurt cub being left in a foreign country alone. I know there was a close call on this board recently where this almost happened.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

I will never understand why people will pay thousands on a vacation and balk at getting a passport. It's good for 10 years for adults, 5 years for kids. That's a lot of vacations.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I sort of wondered when the whole Carnival debacle took place if passport issues where part of the reason why they decided to drag the ship all the way back to the states when there were ports in Mexico that were much closer. If they knew that everyone on board had passports they could have docked in Mexico and flown everyone home instead of leaving them on that stinking boat for five days.

When my kids were born, one of my first tasks was to get them a passport. I've always taken a "what if" philosophy. For example, what if a loved one fell ill while traveling and I had to rush to their side? And where I go, my kids go, so passports are mandatory for everyone. Since this is my policy for just sitting around home, I can't even get my head around the idea of leaving the country without one!
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
MCO mama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
I will never understand why people will pay thousands on a vacation and balk at getting a passport. It's good for 10 years for adults, 5 years for kids. That's a lot of vacations.
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
I sort of wondered when the whole Carnival debacle took place if passport issues where part of the reason why they decided to drag the ship all the way back to the states when there were ports in Mexico that were much closer. If they knew that everyone on board had passports they could have docked in Mexico and flown everyone home instead of leaving them on that stinking boat for five days.
I think you are probably right. I remember reading that 900 passengers were without passports.
MCO mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The "official" word was that the ship had drifted away from Mexico by the time the tugs arrived and that is why they did not go there. Nothing to do with passports.

Wondering if they ever got the Carnival Dream moving again or if it is still stuck in St. Maarten. If they have to send the passengers home by air, not having a passport could be problematic. They can get emergency passports but it could take time I suppose.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Candleinthewind
Mouseketeer

She is still there.

http://www.st-maarten-island-guide.c...ng/harborview/
Candleinthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
The "official" word was that the ship had drifted away from Mexico by the time the tugs arrived and that is why they did not go there. Nothing to do with passports.

Wondering if they ever got the Carnival Dream moving again or if it is still stuck in St. Maarten. If they have to send the passengers home by air, not having a passport could be problematic. They can get emergency passports but it could take time I suppose.
I read carnival made arrangements with those without a passport.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
It's beyond my comprehension.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
I totally agree.

Just because you CAN sail without it, doesn't make it a good idea.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I can understand why people cruise without passports. $500 for a family of four is nothing to sneeze at. Money aside though there are circumstances where getting a passport can be difficult or even impossible. The legal hoops we will have to jump through to get my 12 year old a passport for our cruise next year are already giving me headaches. It was enough for us to choose to skip them all together for our Bahamian cruise. Since I saw far more birth certificates than passports being presented at check in I guess we weren't the only ones who did it.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Kudos to Princess!! I think all cruise lines should have a policy: No Passport, no cruise. Anything can happen and sometimes does.

The "official" satellite pics of the Carnival Triumph showed they had moved closer to the US and with the prevailing winds, it made more sense to go to the US as opposed to Mexico. With satellite imagery and Coast Guard reports involved at that point, it would have been silly to lie about the reason.

As to the Carnival Dream situation, it's really not as major as people are making it sound....but that's for another thread.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
tth5454
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom
I agree!
tth5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Msmit002
Family Concierge

While not the cited reason, another reason could be that Princess doesn't want to be a part in a potentially ugly custody dispute where parents are fighting for custody of their child(ren). It is not unusual for one I the parents to leave the country with their child during such dispute and force the other parent to seek assistance with The Hague Convention to get their child back.

My husband and I, just yesterday, had to apply in person for our son's passport. If one if us couldn't show up in person, we had to have a separate document filled out by the absent parent and notarized proving that they give the other parent permission to apply for the passport.

As someone watching a particularly horrific custody battle within my family (in-laws) it wouldn't surprise me at ALL if the bat-$&!# crazy part in the custody battle took off with the kids and decided not to return. Thankfully, that person won't be able to get a passport without the other parent's permission.

But, if the child was able to travel with only the birth certificate? Only one parent (at least in MD) is required to apply for a replacement birth certificate if the other parent has the original.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Msmit002
Family Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas
Kudos to Princess!! I think all cruise lines should have a policy: No Passport, no cruise. Anything can happen and sometimes does.
Absolutely! In fact, my sister got her first passport after she was denied boarding her flight to San Juan for a cruise about 10 years ago. She was traveling with her DL and Birth Cert and the customs folks (or whoever they were) said that they questioned the authenticity of the document! It was real... But with many different versions of a BC even issued from the same state it difficult for agents to keep up with all if the changes.

On the other hand, all passports look the same no matter what state you live in.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: