Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
serenitygr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalovett View Post
Nice post. See you at Christmas!

Dave
Hi Dave! You must be the one with the really neat stuff to see at Christmas! I hope we can find you then! I am so excited about coming back. And the neatest thing? I've talked my mom into making the trip with us- she thought she was too old, and would hold us up and all that, but we convinced her what it's really like at the fort, and now she can't wait to come too! My dad is looking down from heaven smiling, I know!
serenitygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
jeepfreak
Mouseketeer

A picture is worth a 1000 words!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Way too many GREAT experiences but here are a few:

Trip to trading past turned into being asked to come over to the Hoop De Doo Revue and watch the rehearsal and be there as the audience free of charge!

Watching the electric light parade and fireworks from the beach sitting in our golf cart (before the posted no golf carts beyond this point)

Leaving a "secret message" with the kids hidden just to go back the next year and see that it was still there!

Almost forgot we do miss the Peacocks!

We have since bought into BLT and as much as we love the resorts the FT will always have our fondest memories and we will certainly be back!

Last edited by dbs1228; 03-16-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added
dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
dsdeleon
Mouseketeer

My husband and I were on a secret golf cart mission and when he did a quick whip around at the beach, he buried us in the sand. We were frantically trying to dig ourselves out and hysterically laughing. It was way out of the way where no one was and my adrenaline was racing thinking how we were going to explain this one.
dsdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Even though we have only been to the Fort 3 times, (3000 mile rd trip) the sights, watching and talking to kids getting on the bus and boat being so exited about going to MK. Walking the campground and the stores. Talking to people you know you will never see again. Taking our new puppy (actually about a year old) in 2012 that thought since we were someplace new he had to explore at 5am, 6am and 7am. Talking to the bus drivers on a mostly empty bus. Did you know FW is somewhere around 1 square mile in size? One funny story, early March 2012 when we were there, campers across from us pulled in for weekend, evening rolled around and I see they have a campfire going in a fire ring. Only problem was, FW was under a fire ban at the time and I tell DW they must not have known. A little while goes by and along comes this golf cart with 2 flashlights with red flashing lens tied to the posts and stops at this campsite, guy gets out with hat like state patrol and uniform, it's security. Talked to people the next morning and they had a lot of fun with the security guy but he made them put out the fire anyway, it was just kind of funny to see the golf cart with red lens flashlights coming through the loop. We are starting to plan a anniversary trip for Dec 2014, want to see the Xmas lights so hopefully will be back again then.
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #21
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdeleon View Post
My husband and I were on a secret golf cart mission and when he did a quick whip around at the beach, he buried us in the sand. We were frantically trying to dig ourselves out and hysterically laughing. It was way out of the way where no one was and my adrenaline was racing thinking how we were going to explain this one.
Yea done that too gotta love the golf carts and well driving around the grounds We really have missed the FT gotta get back!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey66 View Post
In june of 2011 my son and I spent 10 nights at the fort and the entire trip was incredible. We brought home many great memories but one of them sits at the top. We decided to watch the MK fireworks from the beach of bay lake by the marina on our last night. As we were watching the fireworks a very intense thunderstorm was passing by behind the fireworks and there was a lot of lightning within it. The combination of the fireworks and lighting in the storm made for an incredible show. A show I will always remember.
That would be something to remember, a little scary (I'm afraid of storms), but pretty at the same time.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

Love reading these posts. When I was a kid we used to camp at fw all the time in our pop-up. I'm so excited to be staying there again in a cabin in a few weeks. I remember the marshmallow marsh (a group outing in canoes to a location where they had a campfire with songs and games and viewing of the water parade). I remember it was always really dark and I was terrified that there were gators. It didn't help that one time the cm leading our boat kept making comments like "watch out for this gators".

I alod remember riding a horse there for the first time. I happened to get a very active horse who decided to buck a lot. Luckily I stayed on and although my mom was getting nervous I loved it. I started taking riding lessons at home a few months later and have since been thrown off horses a couple times lol.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
OrlandoEsq
Earning My Ears

Is fort wilderness pet friendly? We have two small pups and would love to take them with if possible. Thanks in advance!
OrlandoEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEsq View Post
Is fort wilderness pet friendly? We have two small pups and would love to take them with if possible. Thanks in advance!
Yes, they have pet loops. It is a $5.00 per day charge. Let them know when you make a reservation that your fur babies will be with you.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #26
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at the Ft. twice and enjoyed both visits when my son was young. But we really liked visiting this past Halloween and seeing the decorated golf carts and the decorated camp sites.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #27
JanL
Native Floridian

"Is fort wilderness pet friendly? We have two small pups and would love to take them with if possible."

No pets allowed in the cabins, tents, or soft-side pop ups, from what I've read on this forum.
JanL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: