Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
massmickeypal
Earning My Ears

Best Fort Wilderness Moment

What is your best moment at the fort? Something that makes you want to go back again and again? While it has changed for us over the years as our kids grew my mother in law and I always found time for a Pina Colada on a rocking chair outside Crockett's Tavern while people watching. We were there this past Sunday and I can't wait to go again!
massmickeypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
serenitygr
Mouseketeer

Mine was coming there in the middle of winter from cold snowy Minnesota for our first EVER family vacation ANYWHERE in 9 years- that's how long we saved- and sitting on the beach one night watching the fireworks in just tshirts. I sat there and cried- partly because I was so happy and partly because I'd already fallen in love with the fort and knew how much I would miss it. We are coming back this Christmas to make more wonderful memories!
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Massmickeypal,

For me the Fort has the auditory experience to add to the visual experience. The Fort is a visually beautiful campground but I like the sounds it has to offer.

- boats whistles for arrivals and departures (down by the Settlement)
- background music at Outpost, Settlement, and Meadow areas
- MK fireworks
- Electric Water Parade
- Illuminations fireworks (up by the Outpost)
- the busses rumbling through the campground
- the steam train whistle from the MK (if the wind blows just right)

So like you I like to sit and watch but I also like to listen.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
KPSmithSr
Mouseketeer

I'm cheating with more than one

I think the best FW moment(s) for DW and me are:

The time just DW and I were there and we took lawn chairs and a cooler with wine down to the beach to watch the fireworks at MK. We were off to the right of the boat rental house (facing the lake), just the two of us, sitting in our chairs, listening to the music, watching the fireworks and sipping on wine. If you look up "relax" in my dictionary, you will see a picture of that evening.

Two other great moments for us were when the grandbeasties spent the week over Halloween with us at FW. We rented a golf cart and went looping to see all the Halloween decorations, DGD was 9 and DGS was 6. The look in their eyes and the sounds of excitement were priceless. On that same trip we made homemade ice cream and took it down to the pool. The kids had a great time swimming and eating ice cream and DW and I had a better time just watching.

A little less family oriented but fun just the same was a time I attended a conference at Shades of Green. My company paid for my week at FW (it was cheaper than the hotel) and we hosted a BBQ at the campsite with the rest of the people from our work. Showing them our 5th wheel and sitting around talking, drinking beer and eating hamburgers, BBQ chicken and all the fix'ins (thank you DW) was just lots of fun.

We love the Fort.
KPSmithSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massmickeypal View Post
What is your best moment at the fort? Something that makes you want to go back again and again? . . .

Sitting outside, banjo picking, having others join in.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Bearikens
Mouseketeer

Best Fort moment, for us was our first face to face meeting. We met online and talked online and on the phone for months when I was stationed in the USAF in Hawaii and my DW lived on the east coast. We decided to celebrate the completion of my military service by meeting at WDW. My DW had been many times and stayed at the Fort several times, so she got the reservation at FW and we would tent camp…however, this was to be my first trip to WDW. After flying in and taking Mears from the airport, we checked in, but in the excitement forgot to request a ride to our campsite. We sat and talked outside the Reception Outpost, drank a Mr Pibb, and my DW found a pinecone (she LOVES them) for at least an hour. Years later we were married in Orlando and had our honeymoon at the Fort (tent camping yet again). Even now, every trip to the Fort is extremely special to both of us and feels just like the first time.
Disneyland June '12 - off site
Bearikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

It's the one place we have found we can take our special needs kids and find something for everyone to enjoy. We can stay "home" in the MH, or go looping to see who else is here. We can go to the parks and see shows or ride the rides the kids will enjoy. We can do our own cooking and sleep in our own beds. We can meet with friends we have come to know over the years. In short, what's NOT to like?
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Jennifer41
Housework? What housework? MOUSEWORK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearikens View Post
best fort moment, for us was our first face to face meeting.
winner of the thread.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

Not necessarily a 'moment'...but the smell of wood. the outpost and trading post has a specific smell. As soon as I arrive at check-in I take a big sniff.....aaaahhhh!!

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva8401 View Post
Not necessarily a 'moment'...but the smell of wood. the outpost and trading post has a specific smell. As soon as I arrive at check-in I take a big sniff.....aaaahhhh!!
Thats because Disney pumps it in. A la Disney themeing...Disney magic.

Of course, I love it to!
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Its hard to pick just one!

Favorite memories:
1. The first time I came to Disney and stayed at Fort Wilderness was with my parents! Disney had just been open a couple of years and we stayed in a pop up with no air condition. The first morning we woke up we saw deer ! Just Like Bambi! It was so hot Dad went swimming with us in the lake! We went to river country.
2. My husband and I brought his parents camping one summer to the Fort. My father in law had stayed at the camper one day to relax while the rest of the family went to MK. When we were at Mk it started raining and we took shelter untill it was over and returned later that evening to the camper! My father inlaw was furious with us because it had been a very bad storm at the Fort! A big tree fell beside our campsite. He was very worried and didn't understand why we hadn't came back! We didn't know!LOL
3.My husband and I took my daughter camping at the fort when she was 10 & we spent about 2 weeks there. We saw all the theme parks, but spent alot of time with her at the Fort bike riding and swimming. It is the only time that we ever just took her to Fort Wilderness without family or friends.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
natmom
Mouseketeer

Lots of great moments, but the best is sitting in a rocking chair at crocketts tavern with a piña colada knowing that I have two weeks to enjoy that beautiful campground
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
jeffrey66
Earning My Ears

In june of 2011 my son and I spent 10 nights at the fort and the entire trip was incredible. We brought home many great memories but one of them sits at the top. We decided to watch the MK fireworks from the beach of bay lake by the marina on our last night. As we were watching the fireworks a very intense thunderstorm was passing by behind the fireworks and there was a lot of lightning within it. The combination of the fireworks and lighting in the storm made for an incredible show. A show I will always remember.
jeffrey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
dalovett
The Castle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitygr
Mine was coming there in the middle of winter from cold snowy Minnesota for our first EVER family vacation ANYWHERE in 9 years- that's how long we saved- and sitting on the beach one night watching the fireworks in just tshirts. I sat there and cried- partly because I was so happy and partly because I'd already fallen in love with the fort and knew how much I would miss it. We are coming back this Christmas to make more wonderful memories!
Nice post. See you at Christmas!

Dave
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
fanowalt
Earning My Ears

I have alot of them but one is when we went to the beach for the fireworks the first time and I learned what the funny music I'd been hearing after the booms all week was coming from....
The other was our first evening bike ride (wife&kids)hearing the music along the path to the beach.
fanowalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: