Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
clareita
Mouseketeer

How old to go to pool without an adult?

Is there a rule about a minimum age to be at a Disney hotel pool without an adult? My kids are 14, 12, and 9 and I am wondering if they could head to the pool without us. And before anyone blows a gasket I don't mean for the day, just a 20 or 30 minute head start.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

Your answer at the Moms Panel: http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.co...pid=45&cid=109
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
clareita
Mouseketeer

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

OP, thanks for asking this question! I had been wondering the same.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
FigmentFan1975
Earning My Ears

follow-up question about this

Ok, so I followed the posted link above to the copy of the "pool rules" which stated that children under 12 needed adult supervision... my question is, at the water parks, it says (please correct me if I'm wrong) that children need to be over 10 to be unsupervised... so why would you have to be older to be unsupervised at your resort pool (where parents are probably close by) but you could technically roam the waterparks at age 10? I am just not seeing Disney's logic on this, if the ages are correct... Any help? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
clareita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentFan1975 View Post
Ok, so I followed the posted link above to the copy of the "pool rules" which stated that children under 12 needed adult supervision... my question is, at the water parks, it says (please correct me if I'm wrong) that children need to be over 10 to be unsupervised... so why would you have to be older to be unsupervised at your resort pool (where parents are probably close by) but you could technically roam the waterparks at age 10? I am just not seeing Disney's logic on this, if the ages are correct... Any help? Thanks!
That is an excellent point. I would let my 9 year old go to the pool with his older sisters way before I would let him wander around a water park without us.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
SFreelove
Mouseketeer

Not to intrude on your post but this kind of relates Does anyone know what time the pools at resorts close if they do??
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
klangkat
Mouseketeer

There's life guards at the water parks, but not at the resort quiet pools...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFreelove
Not to intrude on your post but this kind of relates Does anyone know what time the pools at resorts close if they do??
I'm not sure of the times but the pools seemed to stay open all night when we were at SSR. However the lifeguards left and you would swim at night at your own risk.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentFan1975
It's age 12 at the water parks too. I'm not sure why that is the age in my head and I tried googling for an answer but I couldn't find it.

And hotel pools close at midnight.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire

Last edited by delmar411; 02-28-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klangkat View Post
There's life guards at the water parks, but not at the resort quiet pools...
OP - I suspect you probably won't have any problems, I know mine have been a the pools without me when the oldest was your oldest's age. They usually swim while I am doing laundry so I am there for much of the time, but do leave to switch the clothes, bring them to the room etc... I knew they were responsible enough and never really gave any thought to any age requirements. Nobody ever said anything. I will add that our stays have been mods (POR) and values (most of them) and in the summer. So, maybe they didn't realize they didn't have an adult as the pools were pretty crowded.

That said, as the PP mentioned, the quiet pools don't have life guards, so depending on where you are staying, you could just send them to the quiet pool and then meet up with them and head over to the feature pool together. I would suggest this route if you are staying at BC/YC since you might have trouble finding them in the large complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFreelove View Post
This varies by resort and season. I know when I've stayed value in the summer, there was a life guard at the main pool until midnight, but there were people swimming later than that.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

At CSR in April, the pool was open 24 hours. However, the life guard left at 9 pm and the slide closed at that time as well. If you're staying at a mod or deluxe, make sure you find out what time the slide at the feature pool closes. We did not know the slide had a closing time and completely missed it on our one and only night there

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
That said, as the PP mentioned, the quiet pools don't have life guards, so depending on where you are staying, you could just send them to the quiet pool and then meet up with them and head over to the feature pool together. I would suggest this route if you are staying at BC/YC since you might have trouble finding them in the large complex.
I really don't think sending a 9 year old off to a pool with no lifeguard, without an adult along, is a good idea. If the OP decides to ignore the age rule, it would be safer to send the kids to the themed pool where there is a lifeguard, just in case something bad happens.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

I thought (could well be wrong) lifeguards were out until 10 pm at AS Music. After that you swim at your own risk (DD and I swam one night from 2 am - 3:30 am when we arrived too early to check in - DH napped in the car ROFL DD still thinks that was a highlight of the trip!)
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareita View Post
Is there a rule about a minimum age to be at a Disney hotel pool without an adult? My kids are 14, 12, and 9 and I am wondering if they could head to the pool without us. And before anyone blows a gasket I don't mean for the day, just a 20 or 30 minute head start.
I was running around Stormalong Bay(BC/YC pool) when I was 12 until midnight every night our first trip. I would go to the pool and my parents/sis would go to bed. It was in 92 over Christmas and the pool was open with life guards until midnight. My parents also knew I had no problem swimming so they were fine with it. I actually made a lot of friends since there were about 10 of us all the same age that played at the pool every night. It all depends on how responsible your kids are and how well they can swim. If its during the day with a life guard on duty I would have no problem letting them go and no one will say anything about the 9yo being there with a 14 and 12yo.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: