Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Home from Our Wonderful Dream Cruise! Questions?

Just back from our wonderful 4 night cruise on the Dream. It was my first cruise and it was absolutely amazing. The information I learned here was SO helpful! Everyone laughed at me for the things I brought, like the over the door shoe thing, highlighters, tap lights, ect...but everyone used everything I brought. I can't say enough good things about the crew/staff, every single one we met or dealt with was awesome. Nelson was our room host and we loved him! My dad just said "I miss Nelson." The kids adored our dining room servers, they really helped make the cruise. I never thought a cruise could be better than going to WDW, but it really was. I'm already looking at booking another one and I never, never thought I would say that. Happy to answer any questions anyone has.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
castmbr
DIS Veteran

Just back from Dream two weeks ago and Nelson was our stateroom host as well. We really enjoyed him! Glad you had a good time! Did you play bingo? My dd and I are having a hard time remembering the name of one of our favorite staff members. He was a tall blondish guy with a british accent. (I know that describes a lot of people)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Kez250
Mouseketeer

was it Alistair?
Kez250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
mom2william
Earning My Ears

Who were your MDR servers? Also, did you get the "excellent" speech? We didn't receive it last year but I've been reading a lot about it on the boards. Also, were the gratuities automatically charged? Thanks!
mom2william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
calismic
Mouseketeer

Was Ariel present for the princess meet? My daughter is obsessed and we've been hearing shes sometimes pulled for Tiana.
calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmbr View Post
Just back from Dream two weeks ago and Nelson was our stateroom host as well. We really enjoyed him! Glad you had a good time! Did you play bingo? My dd and I are having a hard time remembering the name of one of our favorite staff members. He was a tall blondish guy with a british accent. (I know that describes a lot of people)
My mom played Bingo one night, but I didn't, I'll ask her if she remembers the name of the person doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2william View Post
Who were your MDR servers? Also, did you get the "excellent" speech? We didn't receive it last year but I've been reading a lot about it on the boards. Also, were the gratuities automatically charged? Thanks!
Our MDR servers were Shana and Merrick, they were great. And yes, we got the excellent speech......many times....but honestly, they really deserved an excellent rating, as did Nelson. The gratuities were automatically charged and we tipped over that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
Was Ariel present for the princess meet? My daughter is obsessed and we've been hearing shes sometimes pulled for Tiana.
We saw Ariel alot. She seemed to be out whenever the princesses were and we all ran into in the hallways at one time or another. She happened to pass by when I saw decorating the stateroom doors and she asked if she could help! I don't even remember seeing Tiana except for in the Believe show.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
pmurph
Earning My Ears

That's so great that you had such a great time! I'm going (with my family) on our first 4-night cruise on the Dream in August.
I have always wanted to go to the Atlantis in the Bahamas. I want to do the tour where we just go on the tour of the ruins and the aquarium ("Discover Atlantis).
My husband says the kids will want to do the water park there ("Aquadventure"). But its so expensive (for all four of us), and we are going to Castaway Cay the next day so I vote "no" to the waterpark.
My question is: Will my kids be disappointed if we don't do the port adventure that includes the waterpark? Will we be exposed to it if we are doing the port adventure that doesn't include it?
Since you just went on that cruise, I though you might know...
pmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
bfamily5
Yes, I need another guide book...it's part of the process

Glad you had such a great time! Friends of ours just got back from their first cruise and have convinced us to give it a try I am actually looking at the first week of March on the Dream, next year. So my question is...the weather - was it beach weather? Is there anything you learned that you wish you had known beforehand? TIA

POR - Mar 2014.. us and the whole state of LA
CBR - Sept 2012..Just the 2 of us
POR - Sept 2011..Honey, I'm Home!
POR - Nov, 2009..Disney Love at first Sight!

Me: DH, DD(19), DD(16), DS (13)..
bfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmurph View Post
That's so great that you had such a great time! I'm going (with my family) on our first 4-night cruise on the Dream in August.
I have always wanted to go to the Atlantis in the Bahamas. I want to do the tour where we just go on the tour of the ruins and the aquarium ("Discover Atlantis). My husband says the kids will want to do the water park there ("Aquadventure"). But its so expensive (for all four of us), and we are going to Castaway Cay the next day so I vote "no" to the waterpark. My question is: Will my kids be disappointed if we don't do the port adventure that includes the waterpark? Will we be exposed to it if we are doing the port adventure that doesn't include it? Since you just went on that cruise, I though you might know...
I actually did not get off the ship in Nassau. Me, my mom and dad stayed on the ship...which was actually great, we explored alot and there were 1/2 the people on board, so not crowded at all. My brother, sister, SIL and 3 nieces and nephew did the Dolphin experience at Blue Lagoon Island and loved it. No one went to Atlantis, everyone thought it was way too expensive for a waterpark. They wanted to experience something they wouldn't anywhere else, like the dolphins. No one was disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfamily5 View Post
Glad you had such a great time! Friends of ours just got back from their first cruise and have convinced us to give it a try I am actually looking at the first week of March on the Dream, next year. So my question is...the weather - was it beach weather? Is there anything you learned that you wish you had known beforehand? TIA
It was pretty chilly actually. The days were fine, especially Castaway was really perfect, definitely beach weather, but the water was a bit cold though. At night everyone had to wear pants and sweatshirts/jackets. It was abnormally cold though, even when we were at WDW. I do wish we had waited and gone the following week though...because of the time change, it would have been nice to have an extra hour of daylight. I would do early March again, but the 2nd or 3rd week maybe instead of the first week. I can't think of anything I learned that I wished I'd known. I learned so much here, we were really well prepared. Maybe that the character lines would be so long and to get there early. I really wanted a picture with Captain Mickey, but the lines were soooooooooooooooooooo long I never got one.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
mecoach50
Earning My Ears

Do you happen to know what movies were playing in the theaters on board?
mecoach50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

Glad you had a good time. We just booked our first cruise, going in Aug. We are debating the blue lagoon sealion experience. I know you said your relatives went there to see dolphins. Would you be able to find out from them how long and/or fast-paced the walk is from the ship to the boat to takes you there? I read it is a 15 minute walk. I am nervous that I wouldn't be able to keep up with a crowd for that long. I understand we need to find our way right over, but I was wondering if it was rushed or if it were a far walk, if they had any transportation options. I am so sure that I am worrying for nothing, but to find out more details would put my mind at ease. thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
pmurph
Earning My Ears

OK thank you!!!!!
pmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecoach50 View Post
Do you happen to know what movies were playing in the theaters on board?
Lincoln, Wreck it Ralph, Timothy Green, Nemo 3D, Avengers, Frankenweenie and Brave. The kids all went to see Wreck it Ralph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrazie4dizney View Post
Glad you had a good time. We just booked our first cruise, going in Aug. We are debating the blue lagoon sealion experience. I know you said your relatives went there to see dolphins. Would you be able to find out from them how long and/or fast-paced the walk is from the ship to the boat to takes you there? I read it is a 15 minute walk. I am nervous that I wouldn't be able to keep up with a crowd for that long. I understand we need to find our way right over, but I was wondering if it was rushed or if it were a far walk, if they had any transportation options. I am so sure that I am worrying for nothing, but to find out more details would put my mind at ease. thanks for your help.
I just asked my sister, she said no way it was a 15 minute walk, she said 5 to 7 minutes max and not fast paced at all. She said my mom easily could have done it and she is 74 and a slow walker. She also said the walk from the boat to where the dolphins/animals are is nothing, about 75 steps. She said nothing in the experience was alot of walking at all and they LOVED it.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

thank you so much, stress is gone! can't wait to go.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
churchlady
Mouseketeer

So glad you enjoyed it! We leave in 4 weeks for our 4 nite Dream! After you boarded, did you eat in Cabanas or Enchanted Garden? We've always chosen the sit down restaurant, but it looks like Cabanas may offer crablegs, which I never saw on the buffet at Enchanted Garden? Did you save your Navigators? What order were the shows in?

Thanks for sharing! We can't wait!

WDW April 2003
Land/Sea Beach Club, Disney Wonder April 2005
Disney Magic 7 day Western May 2006
1st timeto Disneyland/ DLH October 2006

WDW Contemporary June 2007

Disney Magic 7 day Eastern TORTOLA/POLY May 2009

DCL 3 day Dream/BWI November 2011
DCL 4 day Dream April 2013

DH, me, dd 16, dd18, dd20
churchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread