Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #61
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdyer916

Anyone who finds breastfeeding or exposed pregnant bellies in bathing suits should just stay home. A pregnant woman is uncomfortable enough as it is. ..and if wearing a two piece swim suit makes her a little more comfortable. ..more power to her. My son is a year old and still breastfeeds occasionally through the day. If we are out and about and he wants some milk, I will discretely feed him. I dare someone to say something to me
I can guarantee you that NO ONE would have wanted to see MY pregnant belly! Especially by the third time. Or my breasts. I didn't even want to look!

Surely half the passengers would have run screaming to guest services!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #62
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
I actually like these rules. I realize you wouldn't make money if you tried to apply these rules to guests, but one of the reasons I like Disney is that they have these rules for their employees.

Mike

All of the cruise lines require the same thing from their crew members.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #63
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

To our friends from Europe, please don't think all Americans are horrified by breast feeding in public. Many are not (most in my experience aren't) Some are, and that's fine with me if their solution is to look away or remove themselves from the situation. But to defend the original poster on the thread, I see a difference between being bothered a thong bathing suit versus breast feeding. And the difference is context.

Breast Feeding is a part of raising a baby, it's something that has to happen, so I can't put myself in the shoes of someone having a problem there. But with the thong situation, it's the context.

Many people choose a Disney Cruise because of the innocence and childlike wonder associated with the brand. That's why out of consideration for those people with children where I'd normally where a swim suit like this one:

or this:

I'm choosing, out of consideration of others, for this instead:

And I might bring the first one for the adult only beach on Castaway Cay.

I don't think thong swimsuits are bad or think ill of the people who wear them, but I do think they may be an inconsiderate type if they'd choose to wear a thong on a Disney Cruise based out of the U.S. To each their own, as long as it's not harming others is my motto...
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #64
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

I was walking down Main Street, USA in the Magic Kingdom a few weeks ago and, broad daylight and crowded, and saw a woman wearing skin tight, white pants with an obvious black thong (100% butt floss) underneath. I was more put off by that than I would have been had I seen what the OP saw. If you start banning thongs at the pool, what's next? Speedos? In Europe, Speedos are actually the norm.

A cruise is not your local beach. It attracts people from other countries and cultures who would see the OP as a prude. Sometimes traveling means trying to see things from the other people's point of view as well.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #65
justmestace

Let's be totally honest here....we live in an elitist society.

It's OKAY to see a butt or breasts....depending on.....what body type they are attached to.

If it were, say, Megan Fox in a thong or topless, most people would have no problem with it at all.
On the other hand, if it were, for example, Rosanne Barr or Rosie O'Donell.....probably a whole different story.

(And I mean no disrespect to any of these women, I was just trying to think of someone who almost everyone would recognize)

I mean, seriously, did anyone see how Joan Rivers disected poor Adele???

I happen to believe that there are some codes of decency that everyone should live by.....when out in public. I was taught that you didn't walk through any indoor area at a hotel (on on a ship) with only your bathing suit on. A cover-up was a requirement, so to me, that is simply good manners. And if there's a "rule" about things like that, they should be followed by everyone. And since most public places have rules about being topless, I think that also applies to breastfeeding. I totally understand what it's all about, I had three kids. But I also see no reason to just whip it out in public. ALL of our body parts are there for a specific reason/purpose.....we don't publicly display our reproductive parts, and if a man did, and then said "Hey, it's only natural", he'd get arrested.
There's just no way to draw the line.

But since there aren't any "rules" about the type or quality of a bathing suit onboard, it shouldn't have become a discussion in the first place.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #66
justmestace

Perfect example in the post above.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with the guys in the pictures, in ANY of those swimsuits.

But what if it was this guy:

Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #67
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyearInTampa View Post
A cruise is not your local beach. It attracts people from other countries and cultures who would see the OP as a prude. Sometimes traveling means trying to see things from the other people's point of view as well.
You're right, but that goes both ways. Why is someone seeing one person as a prude not judged as a negative when the perspective from the other direction (one viewing what is being worn is inappropriate) is?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #68
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=justmestace;47748486]Perfect example in the post above.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with the guys in the pictures, in ANY of those swimsuits.

[\QUOTE]

I think the second guy is closing in on smuggling grape territory. My view (and it's just mine) is that would be inappropriate on a Disney Cruise.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #69
justmestace

[QUOTE=NickAndAnt;47748533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Perfect example in the post above.

[\QUOTE]

I think the second guy is closing in on smuggling grape territory. My view (and it's just mine) is that would be inappropriate on a Disney Cruise.

But that's my point EXACTLY!!!! If it were a young, buff, handsome guy (Hugh Jackman would work for me) in that red swimsuit, people would be drooling.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #70
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Let's be totally honest here....we live in an elitist society.

It's OKAY to see a butt or breasts....depending on.....what body type they are attached to.

If it were, say, Megan Fox in a thong or topless, most people would have no problem with it at all.
On the other hand, if it were, for example, Rosanne Barr or Rosie O'Donell.....probably a whole different story.

(And I mean no disrespect to any of these women, I was just trying to think of someone who almost everyone would recognize)

I mean, seriously, did anyone see how Joan Rivers disected poor Adele???

I happen to believe that there are some codes of decency that everyone should live by.....when out in public. I was taught that you didn't walk through any indoor area at a hotel (on on a ship) with only your bathing suit on. A cover-up was a requirement, so to me, that is simply good manners. And if there's a "rule" about things like that, they should be followed by everyone. And since most public places have rules about being topless, I think that also applies to breastfeeding. I totally understand what it's all about, I had three kids. But I also see no reason to just whip it out in public. ALL of our body parts are there for a specific reason/purpose.....we don't publicly display our reproductive parts, and if a man did, and then said "Hey, it's only natural", he'd get arrested.
There's just no way to draw the line.

But since there aren't any "rules" about the type or quality of a bathing suit onboard, it shouldn't have become a discussion in the first place.
Breasts are not reproductive organs.
I respect your point of view, but disagree that it is unacceptable to breastfeed in public. IMHO it is just as acceptable as feeding a baby with a bottle and far more natural.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #71
ededmd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAndAnt View Post

Just wanted to say mmm, hmm.
And there's my pretty for the day...
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #72
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Agreed beautiful!!!! Would be better still in speedos

Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #73
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Breasts are not reproductive organs.
I respect your point of view, but disagree that it is unacceptable to breastfeed in public. IMHO it is just as acceptable as feeding a baby with a bottle and far more natural.

I never said breastfeeding in public was wrong or unacceptable.
What I said was that it should be done with decorum.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #74
bgdyer916
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker

Sorry I started all this with the pregnant belly stuff. It's MY plus size pregnant belly that I don't want to show off. Just like I wouldn't be flashing my plus size back size around in a thong.

I have no problem with people wearing whatever they have the confidence to wear. No promises I may not think "WOW, that person is confident" but I in no way do I think they're wrong! :

I in fact fed both of my children, in public, without a blanket I know! Hey, summer babies are hot babies.

I was just lamenting on the sad fact that finding a swimsuit to cover said belly is so stupid expensive it's ridiculous. A side effect perhaps of our let it all hang out culture.
I was pregnant my last cruise. .and yes. ..I wore a maternity tankini. Lol. I only wish I had the confidence to wear a bikini.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #75
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Agreed beautiful!!!! Would be better still in speedos

And this guy, to someone, anyway, is equally beautiful. And has just as much right to be at the pool as anyone else does.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: