Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #46
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Did they walk up and stand on the edge for 15 minutes spinning around and put on a fashion show or did they walk up, climb in and disappear under the water in 15-30 seconds?

Most people climb in and you never see anything again until they climb out. This includes topless!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #47
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
The difference between American culture in regards to nudity/flashy swimsuits and Europeans is that in America, showing body parts is now always sexualized (i.e. the culture shift in toddler girls being allowed to run around topless 40 years ago to today's disapproving view of the same), whereas in most of Europe, the sexualization of
body parts has its time and place.

For example, thongs and topless in Europe, no big deal, it is just the body, when at the beach or nursing a baby, for example. I grew up this way, and I exposed my children to this way of thinking when they traveled with me to visit family in Europe. There is plenty of sexualization of body parts too (don't wear the thong bikini while walking down the city street!), but there is a separation of context that does not appear evident here in American culture.

In most of American culture, any private body part is a sexual item, and must be hidden so as not to entice anyone. Yet, in my humble opinion of a person that has grown up in different cultures, Americans are so busy hiding parts that the impression of any nudity is incredibly titillating, and suggestiveness permeates the culture.

Therefore, when parents see a bikini thong or male Speedo, they make a big deal and now the kids are thinking something interesting is happening, and it just turns into parents trying to "protect" the kids and the kids trying to see what is going on! Just makes them more curious, no?

Artists have made beautiful paintings and sculptures of the human body throughout history, but I have aquaintances that won't take their children to an art museum for fear of having them see "nudity". And God forbid that at a pool, there be any hint of any body parts that may damage eyes. As long as the person isn't rubbing on the shower pole, or shimmying on the deck flaunting their wares, I don't care what they wear. I am too busy enjoying my family, and glad that my children don't point fingers at others enjoying their lives.
I totally agree!!! As a Euopean, I find some opinions on this thread totally baffling. Particularly the post about covering up pregnant stomachs.
I write this in a cafe and there is a lady breast feeding her little one sat opposite me. Far from being offended, I am delighted she is able to do this without anybody batting an eyelid!!!!
Do my friends from the US also find breast feeding in public offensive?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #48
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766

I totally agree!!! As a Euopean, I find some opinions on this thread totally baffling. Particularly the post about covering up pregnant stomachs.
I write this in a cafe and there is a lady breast feeding her little one sat opposite me. Far from being offended, I am delighted she is able to do this without anybody batting an eyelid!!!!
Yes they do! It's horrible!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #49
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Sadly, yes. Many Americans are horrified by a woman breast feeding. I will never understand why the sight of a woman feeding her child is so awful to so many.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo
Sadly, yes. Many Americans are horrified by a woman breast feeding. I will never understand why the sight of a woman feeding her child is so awful to so many.
And some of those same people have no problem seeing it in an R or X rated movie. Really pathetic.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #51
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
And some of those same people have no problem seeing it in an R or X rated movie. Really pathetic.
Agreed. But there are also many who don't want to see breasts anywhere and a breast-feeding woman is disgusting to them. Regardless of the fact that women's breasts are made specifically to feed their young.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #52
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
OMG don't get me started on breast-feeding. I breastfed all mine until they were much older than the "norm" here. Luckily no one ever actually said anything to me while my kids ate, but I got quite a few looks over the years

I think we are just an over-sensitive culture in the states. On EVERYTHING. Period.

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California: July 2012
DL Paris: June 2014
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #53
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Yes they do! It's horrible!
Sorry, do you find breast feeding in public horrible or find the fact that many Americans find it offensive, horrible?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #54
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sorry, do you find breast feeding in public horrible or find the fact that many Americans find it offensive, horrible?
Haha. Yes that was confusing. I find the fact that people find public breastfeeding horrible appalling. That's what they were made for!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #55
tinkerbell 766

I agree!!! That is exactly what breasts are for!!! And I think you mean appalling

Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #56
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree!!! That is exactly what breasts are for!!! And I think you mean appalling
Lol. Yeah I fixed it!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #57
bgdyer916
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Anyone who finds breastfeeding or exposed pregnant bellies in bathing suits should just stay home. A pregnant woman is uncomfortable enough as it is. ..and if wearing a two piece swim suit makes her a little more comfortable. ..more power to her. My son is a year old and still breastfeeds occasionally through the day. If we are out and about and he wants some milk, I will discretely feed him. I dare someone to say something to me
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #58
bgdyer916
Earning My Ears

Sorry tinkerbell...didn't mean to quote you...lol
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #59
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdyer916 View Post
Anyone who finds breastfeeding or exposed pregnant bellies in bathing suits should just stay home. A pregnant woman is uncomfortable enough as it is. ..and if wearing a two piece swim suit makes her a little more comfortable. ..more power to her. My son is a year old and still breastfeeds occasionally through the day. If we are out and about and he wants some milk, I will discretely feed him. I dare someone to say something to me
Sorry I started all this with the pregnant belly stuff. It's MY plus size pregnant belly that I don't want to show off. Just like I wouldn't be flashing my plus size back size around in a thong.

I have no problem with people wearing whatever they have the confidence to wear. No promises I may not think "WOW, that person is confident" but I in no way do I think they're wrong! :

I in fact fed both of my children, in public, without a blanket I know! Hey, summer babies are hot babies.

I was just lamenting on the sad fact that finding a swimsuit to cover said belly is so stupid expensive it's ridiculous. A side effect perhaps of our let it all hang out culture.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #60
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdyer916 View Post
I find breastfeeding beautiful. My sister-in-law breastfed both of her boys until they were 6. Perfectly normal. She was very open about doing this in public. She got some odd looks at times, but so what. You have to do what's best for you and your family.

Mike
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: