Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post

I could not find anywhere on the DCL website that says what swimwear is appropriate or what the "rules" are. Can you provide a link?

I wasn't aware that a butt cheek was considered a "private part" and I doubt many kids are going to pay a lot of attention unless the adults in the area make a big fuss. They may look and giggle at first but I cant see it being an issue after a few minutes.

As far as the yuck factor goes sitting in the hot tub, most swimsuit material is so thin I don't really see the difference. The hot tubs are also chlorinated.

You seem concerned with how much money you spent on this and past cruises. Has it occurred to you that the two women in the thongs probably spent about what you did for this cruise and that they may also be repeat cruisers?

What would you have expected if DCL did ask the ladies to cover up or change and the women said no? I know several women who would tell the CM "NO" if there is no written rule.

We are all offended by something. Unless there is something directed towards me specifically, I try to concentrate on my vacation rather than worrying about if something is offending me. Vacation is too short to spend time worrying about strangers.

I agree.
We were at an all-inclusive this summer that allowed topless. Didn't see very many young gals going topless (probably much to my husband's dismay!) but a lot of older women.
And the REALLY interesting thing about it....I watched, because I wondered about all of the kids who were at the pool and the beach.....it didn't appear as though the kids even noticed. And if they did, it didn't seem to bother them at all.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
mcraige
DIS Veteran

Lots of different definitions of the word "disgusting". If I didn't want to see something, I wouldn't look.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #33
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraige
Lots of different definitions of the word "disgusting". If I didn't want to see something, I wouldn't look.
Well........some things you can't "unsee"! :D

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
Stinkerbe11
DIS Veteran

I'm just surprised (and relieved) that there are no pictures to prove said offense

Wonder Mexican Riviera(2011), Magic Eastern(2012), Wonder Pacific Coast(2014), Wonder Alaska(2014), Wonder Vancouver Repo(2014)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Maybe they should have a CM with a tape measure to ensure that the swimsuits meet the Disney standard. I could really care less what people wear. I really am annoyed with shallow and brain dead people.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #36
one princess
Mouseketeer

While I wouldn't really care to see it either, I can't help but think that you really don't get out much. It's part of life. Happens everywhere. I use times like this as a learning experience for my dd and remind her that it is more appropriate for people to cover their butts while on a family cruise. We were on one of those aforementioned Med cruises and while there were lots of topless girls, it just didn't occur to my dd to even notice. Same with Orient beach. It's accepted some places and not so much other places. Doesn't mean it's wrong or right. Just not how we are. If it bothers you, don't look or go somewhere else. simple solution.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #37
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

When we swam with the dolphins a few years ago, an elderly woman in the enclosure with us was wearing such an old swim suit the elastic had rotted. The suit was probably modest to begin with, but without the elastic around the leg openings, it was more revealing than a thong or a speedo. acckkk!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #38
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Maybe they should have a CM with a tape measure to ensure that the swimsuits meet the Disney standard. I could really care less what people wear. I really am annoyed with shallow and brain dead people.

Oops, wrong quote
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #39
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

It could be worse....DCL could be asking passengers to follow the CM guidelines

http://profinterns.disneycareers.com...e-disney-look/
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #40
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post

We are all offended by something. Unless there is something directed towards me specifically, I try to concentrate on my vacation rather than worrying about if something is offending me. Vacation is too short to spend time worrying about strangers.
This exactly! I wonder how much time was wasted complaining to the cast member and then guest relations?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #41
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
It could be worse....DCL could be asking passengers to follow the CM guidelines

http://profinterns.disneycareers.com...e-disney-look/
I actually like these rules. I realize you wouldn't make money if you tried to apply these rules to guests, but one of the reasons I like Disney is that they have these rules for their employees.

Mike
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #42
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

The difference between American culture in regards to nudity/flashy swimsuits and Europeans is that in America, showing body parts is now always sexualized (i.e. the culture shift in toddler girls being allowed to run around topless 40 years ago to today's disapproving view of the same), whereas in most of Europe, the sexualization of
body parts has its time and place.

For example, thongs and topless in Europe, no big deal, it is just the body, when at the beach or nursing a baby, for example. I grew up this way, and I exposed my children to this way of thinking when they traveled with me to visit family in Europe. There is plenty of sexualization of body parts too (don't wear the thong bikini while walking down the city street!), but there is a separation of context that does not appear evident here in American culture.

In most of American culture, any private body part is a sexual item, and must be hidden so as not to entice anyone. Yet, in my humble opinion of a person that has grown up in different cultures, Americans are so busy hiding parts that the impression of any nudity is incredibly titillating, and suggestiveness permeates the culture.

Therefore, when parents see a bikini thong or male Speedo, they make a big deal and now the kids are thinking something interesting is happening, and it just turns into parents trying to "protect" the kids and the kids trying to see what is going on! Just makes them more curious, no?

Artists have made beautiful paintings and sculptures of the human body throughout history, but I have aquaintances that won't take their children to an art museum for fear of having them see "nudity". And God forbid that at a pool, there be any hint of any body parts that may damage eyes. As long as the person isn't rubbing on the shower pole, or shimmying on the deck flaunting their wares, I don't care what they wear. I am too busy enjoying my family, and glad that my children don't point fingers at others enjoying their lives.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #43
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

We were on the Dream last week. We saw thongs and lots of tiny tiny bathing suits and it didn't matter what size the person was! We just tried to look the other way. Although it was hard when we were waiting in line for the Aquaduck and well........I won't even tell you what we had to stand in front of, on the steps of the Aquaduck, right in our face for 10 minutes lol

Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #44
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345 View Post
We were on the Dream last week. We saw thongs and lots of tiny tiny bathing suits and it didn't matter what size the person was! We just tried to look the other way. Although it was hard when we were waiting in line for the Aquaduck and well........I won't even tell you what we had to stand in front of, on the steps of the Aquaduck, right in our face for 10 minutes lol
I want to hear!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #45
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

I'm trying to figure out if it was the "middle aged ladies" in thongs that bothered you, or if it was that they sat in the hot tub with you?

Either way...I'm middle aged (40s) and not a thong wearer, but whatever. If you want to wear a thong on vacation, it's not going to send me sprinting for cover.

If it's because they sat in the hot tub with you, you do realize that no matter how much a bathing suit covers up, it's not containing anything, right? Public pools are people soup and hot tubs are hot people soup. Yep, there's chlorine but it's all the same. It would be no different if everyone was in there naked.

Zippy (who has her own pool and doesn't swim on any pool on a cruise ship)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: