Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec

Nope. Even if you're Ian Somerholder, you don't belong in a banana hammock. I prefer to leave it to the imagination. Though I'm sure if Ashley Green in a thing my husband wouldn't mind.

Eta: Melissa, unfortunately they allow them in the water parks too. It just is what it is. I don't like them either so I'm with you.did they at least put a towel under their butts? Yucks! Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I disagree. Ian can be as nekkid as he wants to be. I really don't mind at all. ...drool...
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post
Imagine my disgust and horror when DH and I took DD for a early morning swim in the family hot tub and two middle aged women showed up in thong bathing suits. Nope not cheeky bikinis (high cut)- bare butts with a piece of dental floss in between. I was so grossed out when these women got into the hot tub I had to leave. The CM on the pool deck of course did nothing when I asked him to make the women cover up. And guest services tried to placate me with a bottle of wine. I even said to GS that if it was the Quiet Cove side I would have said nothing it was just that it was on the family side with a ton of kids around including my own.

I pay a premium to be on a Disney ship to ensure a family environment. I am so afraid that DCL won't stand up to these type of people and the cruise line will go down hill and become the next Carnival. Apparently in this situation it made more business sense to protect those new cruisers than to satisfy the request of a repeat cruiser? And the request was that people follow the rules!!! I understand that for some people exposing your private parts is a cultural thing but when you travel you must respect the culture you are visiting. Be warned DCL if you don't stand up and make sure rules will be followed we will take the thousands we spend on vacations each year elsewhere!
How did you know these women were new cruisers?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Don't go on a DCL Med cruise if only thongs offended you! Most of the little girls on our cruise in 2011 ran around topless and their mothers and grandmothers were laying out topless at the goofy pool. True story

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #19
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's not appropriate to wear a thong bathing suit on a Disney ship period. If you want to show butt cheek go on Carnival.
I would not be caught dead in a thong. Anywhere. Just wondering where it states what is appropriate bathing swim wear? Does it in the Navigator? Seriously, just asking. Does DCL have swim wear guidelines? I don't remember. Hey, when my sons were young, they'd freak out if there was a baby/toddler little gal without a top on. I try to remind them of that now that they are in their 20s

Don't get the unecessary slam at Carnival, but whatever.

ETA: I was wondering about the med cruises...
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker

I disagree. Ian can be as nekkid as he wants to be. I really don't mind at all. ...drool...
Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidibecky View Post
Don't go on a DCL Med cruise if only thongs offended you! Most of the little girls on our cruise in 2011 ran around topless and their mothers and grandmothers were laying out topless at the goofy pool. True story
It is a cultural thing. Most beaches in the Med allow topless bathing.
I don't understand your problem with topless little girls. They are no different at that age from topless little boys!!!!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
I'll risk the wrath at being a chair hog and save a lounger right next to me!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
It is a cultural thing. Most beaches in the Med allow topless bathing.
I don't understand your problem with topless little girls. They are no different at that age from topless little boys!!!!
None of it bothered me...absolutely different cultures. I expected it in Europe. But IMO topless is much worse than a thong

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidibecky

None of it bothered me...absolutely different cultures. I expected it in Europe. But IMO topless is much worse than a thong
Agreed. I wouldn't be bothered in a place where it's the cultural norm either. I don't expect it here at our beaches here. If it was an issue I'd leave. It's good for people to know they might encounter this on a DCL Med cruise so they are prepared. Otherwise some people would be upset I'm sure.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
tinkerbell 766

But surely the deck of a ship is not a beach belonging to any country!!
It is really bizarre to me that we have this thread and another current thread saying that some people wish that DCL would enforce a rule preventing larger people wearing certain bathing costumes or tattooed people from exposing their tattoos. Why are people so judgemental about others? Can't we live and let live?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #26
linkandclover
Mouseketeer

I realize people may be uncomfortable with certain swim attire but I do not feel that the CM should be fashion police. I think people should live and let live. I may not like listening to people telling crude jokes or cussing but I don't expect the CM to censor people.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #27
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Well, I don't go along with skimpy bathing suits and I do think there should be a "dress code" for swimming..especially because Disney asks you NOT to wear bathing suits or shorts/tank tops in the dining rotations...I would have had to leave to area...I would have been the one with a red face....
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #28
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Imagine my disgust and horror when DH and I took DD for a early morning swim in the family hot tub and two middle aged women showed up in thong bathing suits. Nope not cheeky bikinis (high cut)- bare butts with a piece of dental floss in between. I was so grossed out when these women got into the hot tub I had to leave. The CM on the pool deck of course did nothing when I asked him to make the women cover up. And guest services tried to placate me with a bottle of wine. I even said to GS that if it was the Quiet Cove side I would have said nothing it was just that it was on the family side with a ton of kids around including my own.

I pay a premium to be on a Disney ship to ensure a family environment. I am so afraid that DCL won't stand up to these type of people and the cruise line will go down hill and become the next Carnival. Apparently in this situation it made more business sense to protect those new cruisers than to satisfy the request of a repeat cruiser? And the request was that people follow the rules!!! I understand that for some people exposing your private parts is a cultural thing but when you travel you must respect the culture you are visiting. Be warned DCL if you don't stand up and make sure rules will be followed we will take the thousands we spend on vacations each year elsewhere!
I could not find anywhere on the DCL website that says what swimwear is appropriate or what the "rules" are. Can you provide a link?

I wasn't aware that a butt cheek was considered a "private part" and I doubt many kids are going to pay a lot of attention unless the adults in the area make a big fuss. They may look and giggle at first but I cant see it being an issue after a few minutes.

As far as the yuck factor goes sitting in the hot tub, most swimsuit material is so thin I don't really see the difference. The hot tubs are also chlorinated.

You seem concerned with how much money you spent on this and past cruises. Has it occurred to you that the two women in the thongs probably spent about what you did for this cruise and that they may also be repeat cruisers?

What would you have expected if DCL did ask the ladies to cover up or change and the women said no? I know several women who would tell the CM "NO" if there is no written rule.

We are all offended by something. Unless there is something directed towards me specifically, I try to concentrate on my vacation rather than worrying about if something is offending me. Vacation is too short to spend time worrying about strangers.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

It's just the human body, folks. It might not look very attractive, but it's just body parts. I would just look away if it bothered me. As long as their private parts were covered, then what can ya do? As another PP said, gotta admire the confidence they've got if nothing else!

I've never worn that style of suit but I guess to each his own. I don't get how it's less appropriate for thong style suits on Disney versus any other cruise line. I don't think DCL is more "modest" or requires different dress than other lines. After all, other cruise lines have plenty of children too- and it doesn't sound like the children were the ones bothered, anyway. I bet kids might giggle and point, then forget all about it. Adults are the ones with body issues hang ups in general.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Yet another thread about how disgusting the human body is. Why am I still surprised? I think some of you should be forced to spend a day at a family friendly nude beach. It amazing how quickly you get over it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: