Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

An you thought shorts in the MDRs was bad...

Imagine my disgust and horror when DH and I took DD for a early morning swim in the family hot tub and two middle aged women showed up in thong bathing suits. Nope not cheeky bikinis (high cut)- bare butts with a piece of dental floss in between. I was so grossed out when these women got into the hot tub I had to leave. The CM on the pool deck of course did nothing when I asked him to make the women cover up. And guest services tried to placate me with a bottle of wine. I even said to GS that if it was the Quiet Cove side I would have said nothing it was just that it was on the family side with a ton of kids around including my own.

I pay a premium to be on a Disney ship to ensure a family environment. I am so afraid that DCL won't stand up to these type of people and the cruise line will go down hill and become the next Carnival. Apparently in this situation it made more business sense to protect those new cruisers than to satisfy the request of a repeat cruiser? And the request was that people follow the rules!!! I understand that for some people exposing your private parts is a cultural thing but when you travel you must respect the culture you are visiting. Be warned DCL if you don't stand up and make sure rules will be followed we will take the thousands we spend on vacations each year elsewhere!

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Old 03-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post
Imagine my disgust and horror when DH and I took DD for a early morning swim in the family hot tub and two middle aged women showed up in thong bathing suits. Nope not cheeky bikinis (high cut)- bare butts with a piece of dental floss in between. I was so grossed out when these women got into the hot tub I had to leave. The CM on the pool deck of course did nothing when I asked him to make the women cover up. And guest services tried to placate me with a bottle of wine. I even said to GS that if it was the Quiet Cove side I would have said nothing it was just that it was on the family side with a ton of kids around including my own.

I pay a premium to be on a Disney ship to ensure a family environment. I am so afraid that DCL won't stand up to these type of people and the cruise line will go down hill and become the next Carnival. Apparently in this situation it made more business sense to protect those new cruisers than to satisfy the request of a repeat cruiser? And the request was that people follow the rules!!! I understand that for some people exposing your private parts is a cultural thing but when you travel you must respect the culture you are visiting. Be warned DCL if you don't stand up and make sure rules will be followed we will take the thousands we spend on vacations each year elsewhere!
While I also would have been grossed out, I don't think there are rules as to what's appropriate wear for the pools/hot tubs.

Really no way to enforce a rule that isn't there.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

That needs to change. If people can't wear jeans to Palo and would be refused at the door then it's not to much to ask that people cover their butt crack at the family pool.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy

Wow, that's just nasty...
Much as we enjoyed our cruise, we were not enticed by the pools what so ever. They look like an oversized pot of people soup.
I don't imagine there is any amount of chlorine that would adequately do the job.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy

Quote:
That needs to change. If people can't wear jeans to Palo and would be refused at the door then it's not to much to ask that people cover their butt crack at the family pool.
I quite agree. I have seen rules at certain family beaches in Florida that wearing of a thong is not permitted. butt cheeks were to be covered by the swim suit. I don't see why Disney couldn't implement a similiar rule.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

Well, yuck, I just didn't think they were "in" that much anymore. Guess I'm "behind" the times Seriously though, what were they thinking, or not. Suggeted bathing attire signs should be posted.
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Lol @ this thread. While I agree it's gross, I can't believe you actually asked a CM to make them leave and expected them to do it. I guess you've never been to the water parks, they aren't much better. Its kind of hard to regulate swimsuit attire

It really shocks me what people will wear because not everyone has a thong/banana hammock ready body. But I must admit, I'm a bit jealous that someone has that kind of confidence.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec
Lol @ this thread. While I agree it's gross, I can't believe you actually asked a CM to make them leave and expected them to do it. I guess you've never been to the water parks, they aren't much better. Its kind of hard to regulate swimsuit attire

It really shocks me what people will wear because not everyone has a thong/banana hammock ready body. But I must admit, I'm a bit jealous that someone has that kind of confidence.

Agreed! Ok I'm not young (I don't think I'm old either, lol) and have never worn a thong bikini bottom (don't think I ever will), but would people have had as much of a problem if they were younger and looked halfway decent in them? Seems like there's some prejudice because they were old! Lol! This is totally lighthearted but I also thought how appalled people are is kind of funny. At least they weren't naked and at least they weren't doing things they shouldn't after hours in the hot tub or Mickey pool like I've read has happened. Now that's gross.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Agreed! Ok I'm not young (I don't think I'm old either, lol) and have never worn a thong bikini bottom (don't think I ever will), but would people have had as much of a problem if they were younger and looked halfway decent in them? Seems like there's some prejudice because they were old! Lol! This is totally lighthearted but I also thought how appalled people are is kind of funny. At least they weren't naked and at least they weren't doing things they shouldn't after hours in the hot tub or Mickey pool like I've read has happened. Now that's gross.
Personally, I think thong bikinis are inappropriate on anyone. It just makes me uncomfortable.

As to "they weren't naked", it's pretty close in my book.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Hey. To each their own. Some of the stuff that people discuss here that they do on the ships in the various venues/areas is pretty appalling to me. This seems pretty tame. Everyone is different I guess!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 03-08-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

I was just as horrified when a 40 something year old man who looked like borat woar his speedo at the art of animation pool. I was horrified for my daughter to be exposed to that, showing everything. Then he sits on the pool edge and spreads his legs to begin to tan that was it we were out of there so fast DD had no idea what was going on thanfully
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
The young "hot" people make me even more uncomfortable!!
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post

No I don't go to the waterparks other than Aquatica in Orlando but I have stayed at many beach resorts around the world and I have never seen this before. I don't think body type has anything to do with it. I work out and stay fit and toned and wear smaller bathing suits while at home or at a private residence. When I am in public I wear appropriate clothing. It's not appropriate to wear a thong bathing suit on a Disney ship period. If you want to show butt cheek go on Carnival. I have been on enough Disney cruises to not expect anything from a CM but there is a huge difference between asking someone to cover up and asking someone to leave. DCL is still one of the few places that provides a family environment it would be a huge shame if they fail to protect that.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

Nope. Even if you're Ian Somerholder, you don't belong in a banana hammock. I prefer to leave it to the imagination. Though I'm sure if Ashley Green was there in a thong my husband wouldn't mind.

Eta: Melissa, unfortunately they allow them in the water parks too. It just is what it is. I don't like them either so I'm with you.did they at least put a towel under their butts? Yucks! Lol

Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
M4travels
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No I don't go to the waterparks other than Aquatica in Orlando but I have stayed at many beach resorts around the world and I have never seen this before. I don't think body type has anything to do with it. I work out and stay fit and toned and wear smaller bathing suits while at home or at a private residence. When I am in public I wear appropriate clothing. It's not appropriate to wear a thong bathing suit on a Disney ship period. If you want to show butt cheek go on Carnival. I have been on enough Disney cruises to not expect anything from a CM but there is a huge difference between asking someone to cover up and asking someone to leave. DCL is still one of the few places that provides a family environment it would be a huge shame if they fail to protect that.
Your prude attitude can go wherever it wants. Those who want to wear what they do WHEN THERE IS NOTHING THAT SAYS THEY CAN'T can go where they would like to go - and if it's a Disney cruise, oh well.....

33 is my favorite number!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: