DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

GFV/VGF Rumors

Heard a new rumor today.

With no new info on the GF DVC being offered on the recent webcast and with the changes to DVD/DVC Management, DVD is going do what some other timeshares are doing.

VGF/GFV is going to be a premium DVC resort with some rules and policies different than the other DVC resorts.

I guess it could happen.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Sammie
DIS Veteran

That would explain the guide comment to BWVDreamin about new restrictions.

This would not surprise me and honestly to sell it at the price they want and/or need it would require something like this.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Can't imagine what those would have to be to justify a purchase at the rumored cost. Maybe park admission will be included with each stay?

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
lodge
DIS Veteran

Park admission included... now THAT's an idea I LIKE!!
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
Can't imagine what those would have to be to justify a purchase at the rumored cost. Maybe park admission will be included with each stay?
If that's the case, it is likely to either be for a limited time (like OKW was from 1991-1999) and paid for by DVD ... or a forever deal and paid for in the annual fees by the owners at that resort.

Stay tuned!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
If that's the case, it is likely to either be for a limited time (like OKW was from 1991-1999) and paid for by DVD ... or a forever deal and paid for in the annual fees by the owners at that resort.

Stay tuned!
Doc, did you buy OKW when they gave out free park admission? What would you value that at today's dollar and would it really help to offset the proposed VGF price per point?

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Pennyguy23
DIS Veteran

bookmarking for later info

Pennyguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Doc, did you buy OKW when they gave out free park admission? What would you value that at today's dollar and would it really help to offset the proposed VGF price per point?
Yes, we bought in 1993 (wow, has it really been 20 years) and had the Park Admission program thru 12/31/99. I was told by a DVC exec at that time that the program cost DVD $35 each day one of those passes was used. At the time, they were still hand stamped at the turnstyles so there was no electronic data mining like they have access to at this time. $35 was also a discounted rate (although I'd have to check back in some of our old Birnbaums to see the going rates at the time) but it was a costly incentive for DVD compared to the current incentives, but DVC was still a new concept at that time. Early buyers at VB also got the benefit of those passes when they used their points to stay at OKW during those early years but no other resort owners (HH or BWV) had the same incentive. Later, there was a 10% discount on LOS passes offered to DVC members (for those who did not get the free incentive) and even that was discontinued and still not available to those who don't purchase the AP discounted passes.

In today's dollars I would think it would be in the $65 range per each day used. The old program was good for up to 1/2 the occupancy of the villa (2 passes per night for stays in Studios and 1BRs, 4 passes for 2BRs and 6 passes for GVs) and ended on December 31, 1999. I would think that some sort of program like this would be attractive to some buyers - depending on the duration and/or who was ultimately paying. From 1991 - 1995 (the years the program was available as an incentive) DVD paid the freight. If the cost was attractive, it could also be a nice sales incentive even if it came from the annual dues and was a continuing component of ownership at the new resort. (I doubt that would be extended to owners at other resorts staying on points or to GFV owners using their points for stays at other resorts.)

I don't look at this type of incentive the same as $xx off of the current price, but more as a "value-added" incentive in leui of a direct discount incentive. It will be interesting to see how the sales for the new resort is presented - as a "different" type of timeshare (as OKW was originally promoted) or just a continuation of what DVC has become in recent years.

Stay Tuned!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Heard a new rumor today.

With no new info on the GF DVC being offered on the recent webcast and with the changes to DVD/DVC Management, DVD is going do what some other timeshares are doing.

VGF/GFV is going to be a premium DVC resort with some rules and policies different than the other DVC resorts.

I guess it could happen.

Bill
I think they're limited on ways to distinguish a new resort if they include it in the club. They'd have to essentially make it a new system with a crossover component or do purchase incentives for the home resort related changes as in the free park passes mentioned. We'll see. If there are such changes, you can bet they will also be linked to some other type of changes, such as a VIP system or further resale restrictions.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #10
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Dean-- what type of VIP system do you think could be implemented? If thy do that, could they be paving way for a separate class of resorts within DVC? Like a Poly down the road (sidenote, I am not a Poly fan.)
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108
Dean-- what type of VIP system do you think could be implemented? If thy do that, could they be paving way for a separate class of resorts within DVC? Like a Poly down the road (sidenote, I am not a Poly fan.)
VIP access to restaurants, shows, attractions, and events... I could see them bundling that in while staying at GFV. It does seem like an odd idea, but I can see the value.

Planning is fun for some, but there are plenty of situations that aren't conducive to planning. Club 33 addresses that problem, but WDW doesn't have anything like a club 33 setup and I could imagine some of those ideas being pulled into this.

They could do this by introducing a new category of room that's only available at GFV, or they could use CL at GFV in this way. But who knows.
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

OK. I'll bite. GFV and then maybe the Poly, but what next?

I guess what I'm saying would be is such a premier model sustainable over the long haul?

Maybe completely new and unbuilt resorts? I don't know. Sounds like a paradigm shift that may not be practical to me but I'm just thinking out loud and really haven't analyzed it in-depth yet, obviously.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
We've discussed these issues before. I'm not sure that they'll do anything though I'm surprised they didn't around 10-12 years ago. It's much more difficult to do now with a mature system. However, if they did undertake a VIP system I think there are MANY possibilities that could happen, some more likely than others.
  • Likely most importantly, they could institute fees for banking, borrowing, transfers and multiple reservations, among other things, and reduce or remove them for VIP members depending on their VIP status.
  • Trade points for dues, passes, etc.
  • Insider access to many things.
  • Preferred wait lists.
  • Reduced fees or more access to DCL, ABD, etc.
  • dedicated phone number
  • BVTC only for VIP
  • Early Check in/Late check out
  • Other discounts
  • Potential upgrades
Before anyone says some of these are not possible, they are ALL taken from what others do already. When most talk about this they basically do so from the idea that current members will keep all they have and that any new system will just be above and beyond. IMO it's not possible to create enough separation without taking away from current members in non contractual areas.

As for a new and parallel system, it depends but I see it as very unlikely as well though Marriott has already done so. The only way this would happen would be if they plan to continue significant expansion because they'd need critical mass for the new system as well. Even if they did, they's have to create an exchange system between the 2 though it would have to favor the new system to a degree. Personally I'm surprised they haven't offered restricted resale buyers the chance to add on and convert they non qualified to qualified.

As for different classes, does it matter, it happens in all aspects of life. I've seen people say they'd never do business with a company that treat's people differently but the reality is that essentially everyone you shop from the grocery store to the car dealership does so. They only way to avoid it is to move to the woods and be completely self sufficient.

Last edited by Dean; 03-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

I think Dean just hit the nail on the head in his first paragraph and that is essentially what I was trying to say too. I think Dean (not trying to speak for him, obviously) is talking about a MEMBERS designation and the thread addresses a RESORT thing. I just don't think the resort model is sustainable while the membership levels thing certainly would be and would be much easier, or so it would seem to me.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
I think Dean just hit the nail on the head in his first paragraph and that is essentially what I was trying to say too. I think Dean (not trying to speak for him, obviously) is talking about a MEMBERS designation and the thread addresses a RESORT thing. I just don't think the resort model is sustainable while the membership levels thing certainly would be and would be much easier, or so it would seem to me.
The way Marriott approached this is they legally created a new timeshare trust fund applicable to new resorts and existing resorts with a significant unsold component. Their trust points have NO home resort which allows them to sell a little here and a little there and every points is not only aimed at the highest demand time (as for DVC) but the highest demand resorts. Club Intrawest and Bluegreen essentially operate the same way. IMO DVC would have been smart to have done theirs as a trust instead of a deed, that way no deed work/recordings are needed after the initial recordings when the resorts are declared. We see people say they'd never buy resale but the reality is that there is a level of separation and a situation where any reasonable person would if they could assuming they still saw DVC as a desirable entity.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: