DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
JenLyn1620
Earning My Ears

Aulani - Traffic on Oahu??

Hoping to book a trip to Aulani in December 2013. I have read that traffic on Oahu is really bad. How bad is it really? Any other cities you can compare it to? Is it just bad going through Honolulu on the highway? We will be renting a car, and I am a little nervous to be driving in an unfamiliar place. Thanks!!

January 1990 - Caribbean Beach Resort
June 1996 - All Star Music Resort
June 2007 - offsite
February 2009 - offsite
October 2009 - Pop Century Resort
October 2010 - Pop Century Resort
October 2011 - Pop Century Resort
October 2012 - Pop Century Resort
October 2013 - Pop Century Resort
December 2013 - Aulani
JenLyn1620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
cbnsoul
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We've been to Oahu exactly once so I am far from an expert. The traffic in Honolulu was pretty much horrible. The traffic in other parts of the island wasn't nearly as bad, however. We're going to Aulani in June and are renting a car. I plan to stay out of Honolulu until the last day/night when we stay at Waikiki the night before we fly out.
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

It really just depended on what time of day you were traveling. In no traffic it would take around 25 minutes (if I remember correctly) to get into downtown Waikiki from Aulani. If there was traffic we allowed for about an hour so that we would not be stressed. The traffic that we encountered was not the greatest but it was what I would describe as "rolling along". Meaning you were slowed by it, occasionally to a stop, but it was still moving forward- as opposed to being at a stop for a long time.

We are from Seattle, which is pretty bad traffic wise, so I really didnt think it was all that bad. If you plan for it you should be fine.

2014-November-Disneyland VGC 2013-Christmas at Aulani2012-November-Grand Cali 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLyn1620 View Post
Hoping to book a trip to Aulani in December 2013. I have read that traffic on Oahu is really bad. How bad is it really? Any other cities you can compare it to? Is it just bad going through Honolulu on the highway? We will be renting a car, and I am a little nervous to be driving in an unfamiliar place. Thanks!!

The usual rush hour sucks in terms of traffic other than that it's smooth sailing! The drive to/from Honolulu and really pretty much anywhere on the island is quite easy assuming you avoid when people are trying to get to work or home.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration/15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLyn1620 View Post
Rush hour traffic on Oahu is pretty similar to any major city with an interstate(Washington DC, NJ, NY, etc.). A lot depends on where you are trying to go. Rush hour is from around 6-9am and 3-6pm. I rented a car while at Aulani last summer and didn't have much of a problem with traffic. I tried to stay off the roads around those times. In the morning, I was usually on the tail end of traffic going into Honolulu. I only got caught one time coming back from Honolulu in the afternoon, but the traffic was moving--even if slowly--so it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't be too worried.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Fuhnuh
Mouseketeer

We've been to Aulani 3 times, each while staying in Waikiki before and after. In our personal experience, traffic has been okay off rush hour both ways and okay Waikiki to Aulani during morning rush hour and Aulani to Waikiki in the afternoon. Otherwise, as others have said, comparable to mainland big city rush hour (we are from Seattle). Rush hour back from North shore can be a little slower going up in the morning and back in the evening (not too bad for us).
Fuhnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Mickey Mantle
Earning My Ears

If you are heading to Pearl Harbor early in the morning. Budget about an hour at least. I was worried about traffic heading to the airport for the flight home. Left Aulani around 6pm and made it in 30 minutes no problem.
Mickey Mantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

The other thing to know is that Hawaiians aren't in a big hurry. They drive the speed limit. They let you over. Not like L.A.! The traffic to me was like any rush hour around here. We planned for an hour to get from Aulani to Pearl Harbor, including stopping at Leonard's Malasadas. We got to Pearl Harbor early, even.

We did find that the GPS was NEVER accurate in terms of where YOU are. We had 3 cars among us- used Garmin, Google Maps, and the iphone turn directions. None worked right. So be aware. For example, it would say we were arriving at our destination, but it was actually 2 blocks back (and we had passed it already). Weird.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

I have a Garmin. I updated the maps before I left and have had no problem. We ran into horrendous traffic on the way to the swap meet (last Sunday). It was construction traffic, I don't know if that was a one-time thing. The next day (Monday) we went to Pearl Harbor - traffic wasn't as bad - but knowing Sunday's was due to construction, we still under-estimated the time it would take us. I'd say allow at least an hour and if you're early, that's ok. Yesterday we drove to the North Shore (and around the North Shore). Had no problems. Really enjoyed the ride and the beaches. Macky's was as good as 'they' say! On the way back was what I would consider normal 5 o'clock type of traffic. It was fine. We're still planning one more trip back to the Honolulu area. I want to hike Diamond Head, want malasada's from Leonards, want to go to Hanauma Bay and to Halona Cove Beach, the beach in the movie From Here to Eternity.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

So I live on Oahu. GPS is sometimes very wrong, doesn't ever get my house right. Not even the correct road. I find Waze to be the most helpful an application for traffic and navigating to places I don't know. So I am going to give you a tip only someone who lives here would know. Every night they shut down three lanes of H1 heading from downtown to Aulani. This shut down only lasts for about a mile but even at midnight can have traffic backed up over a mile. This shut down starts at about 6:30pm till about 4am each day. Also if they are behind they will keep the lanes closed down all day on Sunday. This roadwork has no scheduled end and has been going on for over six months.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch_lover_Sith View Post
So I live on Oahu. GPS is sometimes very wrong, doesn't ever get my house right. Not even the correct road. I find Waze to be the most helpful an application for traffic and navigating to places I don't know. So I am going to give you a tip only someone who lives here would know. Every night they shut down three lanes of H1 heading from downtown to Aulani. This shut down only lasts for about a mile but even at midnight can have traffic backed up over a mile. This shut down starts at about 6:30pm till about 4am each day. Also if they are behind they will keep the lanes closed down all day on Sunday. This roadwork has no scheduled end and has been going on for over six months.
So, that would probably explain the traffic last Sunday! Thanks Stitch Lover. I guess we'll plan on going to Diamond Head on Monday.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

We were there twice in 2012 (Jan & Dec) and neither time did we run into traffic that I would consider terrible. Yes we had a few times of slow downs on the freeway during rush hours, but otherwise it was fine. Our traffic locally is worst then what we had on our trip.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post
Rush hour traffic on Oahu is pretty similar to any major city with an interstate(Washington DC, NJ, NY, etc.). A lot depends on where you are trying to go. Rush hour is from around 6-9am and 3-6pm. I rented a car while at Aulani last summer and didn't have much of a problem with traffic. I tried to stay off the roads around those times. In the morning, I was usually on the tail end of traffic going into Honolulu. I only got caught one time coming back from Honolulu in the afternoon, but the traffic was moving--even if slowly--so it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't be too worried.
This has been my experience from several visits, both business and pleasure. It probably depends on what you're used to as well. I live in the DC area and would take Oahu any day at any time. In Oahu traffic slows but rarely comes to a complete stop, or crawls at walking speed for miles, unlike DC. But if you absolutely have to be anywhere at a specific time just allow more time to get there and risk being too early than too late.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Little Pixie
The other thing to know is that Hawaiians aren't in a big hurry. They drive the speed limit. They let you over. Not like L.A.! The traffic to me was like any rush hour around here. We planned for an hour to get from Aulani to Pearl Harbor, including stopping at Leonard's Malasadas. We got to Pearl Harbor early, even.

We did find that the GPS was NEVER accurate in terms of where YOU are. We had 3 cars among us- used Garmin, Google Maps, and the iphone turn directions. None worked right. So be aware. For example, it would say we were arriving at our destination, but it was actually 2 blocks back (and we had passed it already). Weird.
I agree with how polite the drivers are and that they drive the speed limit. DC area drivers could take a hint! The screensaver on my computer is a picture of a bumper sticker I saw on a jeep when I was at the beach one day - Slow Down, This Ain't The Mainland! So funny yet so true for Hawaii.

Yes, traffic can be very bad at certain times of the day, but I didn't find it to be overly stressful like in some cities. Just allow some extra time and you'll be fine.

izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
DVC_Corrys
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Going off topic. How bad is parking at the swap meet?
Aulani - 2011, 2013

On the Horizon WDW - 2014 (AOA, BLT)
DCL - 2014 (Fantasy)
DVC_Corrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aulani

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: