Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #46
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I just got home Friday night, not sick. The only precaution I took was hand sanitizer.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #47
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

Just got back without getting sick in 10 days!! We have gotten sick at DW before though and it is not fun. I had the cornish hen at BOG with no ill effects and thoroughly enjoyed it. Doesn't mean another poster didn't have another experience though. Noro info says that it can live for 2 weeks and the only really safe prevention is hand washing because it has to be wiped off before you touch your face, eyes or nose. Easy to pick it up and hard to avoid.

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #48
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKelly View Post
...I will definitely be bringing LOTS of anti-bacterial stuff along when we leave in 11 days! Does anyone know if we can get it again? Are there different strains of Norovirus?
Anti-bacterials only get bacteria. Not virus.

From the CDC:
Quote:
Preventing Norovirus Infection

There is no vaccine to prevent norovirus infection, but research is being done in this area.

Practice proper hand hygiene

Wash your hands carefully with soap and water—
• especially after using the toilet and changing diapers, and
• always before eating, preparing, or handling food.

Noroviruses can be found in your vomit or stool even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better. So, it is important to continue washing your hands often during this time.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #49
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

One thing I noticed this week - the water pressure in the restroom sinks isn't that strong, it makes it hard to thoroughly wash your hands. Plus it only comes on for a few seconds.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #50
Elandon
Earning My Ears

The new "Sydney" strain of norovirus is causing more severe illness than usual and is probably at least partially responsible for the increase in cases this year in comparison to other years. Immunity is only partial after infection and short-lived. Some estimate that one is protected for only about 30-60 days making repeat infection common. Incubation period for norovirus is 12-48 hours so one can pin-point the most likely time period for inoculation. In other words, if you get sick 5 days into your disney trip, you got it at disney. Believe me, I am a huge disney fan even after getting sick and think they do a whole bunch of stuff really well! That said, I would hope that they 1) have a food worker policy that favors protecting guests and 2) use cleaning products in restrooms and guest rooms that kill norovirus. These two things can help protect us and make our visits more magical.
Elandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #51
suedaisy
Mouseketeer

I am an epi as well.. I noticed this thread today and wanted to make sure that you had the info.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078992
suedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #52
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

I have to chime in again... My entire family calls me crazy because of the precautions I take when I go to ANY hotel... Yep, I make my own bleach & water spray bottle for the wiping down of things. I bring my own bed sheets, blankets, towels, you name it. I also bomb the room in Ozium to kill anything else that might have transmitted in there... Extreme? I don't care, I do it so I can sleep at night.. but guess what? We ALL still got hit with Norovirus, this thing is insanely powerful. Just standing behind someone in line, touching the railings in line.. Oh and dare I say the crammed like a can of sardines Disney Transportation buses??!!?? OMG that's an Illness awaiting your arrival right there!! When something is going around like that, there is almost nothing you can do. Consider yourself lucky & blessed if you escaped the wrath of it... Will I still keep doing my clean everything down madness? You bet ya! Only for the sake of knowing, hey I can eat in this room & sleep in peace in it. When I enter those Buses & Parks, that's the risk I'm taking, unfortunately the risk we're all taking of possibly getting sick Do you part, bring your sanitizers, wash your hands bla bla.. But try not to sweat it cause getting sick is nothing anyone orders upon request. It's an unfortunate circumstance, keep planning and try and enjoy it all. Even the sick time, read to your little ones, sing to them, pray with them. Whatever, make the best out of everything. Hope everyone is feeling better, we are finally all clear here.

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
DonoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #53
alex9179
DIS Veteran

I like to use diluted Nix-all. I use it for all kinds of things...cleaning counter tops, my dog's hot spots, scrapes, and my eczema.

Environmentally friendly and feels mild on my poor hands when the eczema flares up. There is no way I would use hand sanitizer, even if it killed norovirus! I'd be miserable! Soap and water in our family's go-to.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #54
taracrumpton
Earning My Ears

Go clean not green!

My daughter vomited in her crib last night and twice this morning (Monday). Today is Monday and we were at Magic Kingdom Friday night, Epcot Saturday, and Disney Studios on Sunday. We live in Florida and go to the parks at least three times a year. Some one has gotten sick every time we go. We are almost certain that my brother had the norwalk virus back in December. We have done our best to no longer eat at the parks especially Magic Kingdom. I bathroom sinks barely have any water pressure and are on automatic sensors that are not sufficient enough to wash off the soap let alone germs. There are no hand sanitation stations through out the park. I would love to swab and culture one of those ketchup dispenser pumps that everyone touches right before they eat their french fries, and cheeseburgers. Your exposed to germs and bacteria from all over the world. I think Disney has been trying to tackle this norwalk virus for years. I think they should stop going green and start going clean! Hand sanitizers kill bacteria but not all viruses thats why good hand washing is so important. Sorry that your trip was cut short Im certain that you are one of MANY, MANY people but I wouldn't expect Disney to take any responsibility for it.
taracrumpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #55
taracrumpton
Earning My Ears

Water pressure is horrible and it's very difficult to get the soap washed off let alone germs. Im a nurse RN so I am educated on proper hand washing. you need to lather well with soap and use friction for at least 30 seconds this is hard to do with a sink that has no water pressure and turns off in about 5 seconds. There is no hand sanitizer near diaper changing stations or disposable mats available. Stop going green and start going clean! I try to carry lysol wipes and lots of hand sanitizer but it's upsetting when you cant properly wash with soap and water.
taracrumpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #56
Denise W
Boardwalk DVC Member

This thread is from a year ago! I am sure they aren't still sick!

Denise
Denise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #57
jcota
Earning My Ears

well we are all going to die.....why not die at the happiest place in the world?
jcota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #58
Ozzygirl
Mouseketeer

I have to admit I'm so paranoid about these things. My Mom was a travel agent and she would NEVER go on a cruise during the winter/early spring months b/c of the Norovirus. I am ultra conscious about not touching door knobs, elevator buttons etc. I'm going down in October so hopefully that's before flu season, but I will have my Lysol and hand sanitizer. (Oh and I will wipe down the hotel door, toilet flusher, remote, phone and balcony door and chairs/tables before we touch anything!) My DH looks at me like I am crazy
Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #59
ideascubed
Earning My Ears

I am not surprised more people aren't ill. We ate at Trails end one evening and wondered where the manager was. Hot food cold, cold food like shrimp warm. Golden Corral at least had somebody taking temperatures. Things that might help; ask for no ice in your drinks. Our family has gotten ill consistently at sunshine terrace. We no longer stay on property because for the same amount of money we can get more amenities. We also have been to Disney 6 times this past year and no illness yet. That's a new experience for us.
ideascubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #60
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I only used hand sanitiser and washed my hands well after using the restroom and I was fine. We didn't even sanitise the hotel room.

It's a little hard to wash your hands properly in the public restrooms but not impossible. I wish they had hot or at least warm water.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: