Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #31
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
What is a recommended product then, please?
Read the labels when you buy something.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #32
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Thanks! What a great idea!

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #33
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I was there from 2/26 through yesterday, and I wasn't sick there, and haven't been sick since I got home.

A recommended product to use is Wet Ones. The Benzethonium Chloride (not sure about spelling) in them does kill the norovirus. I haven't been sick at Disney since I started carrying the individually packaged towelettes and using them every single time I'm going to eat or drink anything. I don't worry about what I touch during the day, because I'm keeping my hands away from my face. But you have to be consistent - all it takes is one time you forget and the germs have got you! I was there in the horrific norovirus outbreak in December a few years back and even with people literally getting sick all around me at the resorts and the parks, I stayed healthy.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Make sure you are using the correct wipes and cleaning agents if you bring your own along. Alcohol won't kill Norovirus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandon View Post
Denned has it right: Lysol is better than alcohol-based wipes. It has a quaternary ammonia-based cleaning product. Bleach is better than that but most "Clorox wipes" actually have quats in them unless they say "with bleach". Norovirus is killed by heat so running the pillows through the dryer should work if you can get them hot enough for long enough. For hands, soap and water is your best protection against norovirus but alcohol-based hand gel is great for preventing colds and flu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
We Lysol'd EVERYTHING the second we got into the room and did it every single day we returned from the park. We washed our hands frequently and then sanitized afterwards for good measure.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
Thanks! What a great idea!
No need for sarcasm. Read the labels. Posters had already recommended the appropriate products to use. Other brands with the same ingredients (listed on the labels) would also work.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
Cimicats
Mouseketeer

So sorry you got sick. Just got back after being there 3/1 - 3/8 and felt ok all week.

Sookie Lorelei

2013 March - Yacht Club
2011 March - Beach Club
2009 December - Yacht Club
2007 December - Honeymoon Beach Club
Years Ago
Port Orleans
Offsite Marriott Timeshare
Offsite Marriott Timeshare
Cimicats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #36
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
No need for sarcasm. Read the labels. Posters had already recommended the appropriate products to use. Other brands with the same ingredients (listed on the labels) would also work.
Have you ever looked at the labels? Most say kills 99% of viruses and bacteria. They likely don't say 99% but not Norovirus. Telling somebody to read the label is just not helpful at all.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #37
Dreamsdocometrue9112
"hang onto your hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

It is that time of year, after all. A lot of stomach bugs going around. Considering the amount of things thousands of people touch a day and then stick their hands in their mouths, this doesn't really shock me. After holding railings waiting in line, the interactive queues, the handle bars on the rides. Disney is infested with germs. I would imagine it is one of the easiest places to contract something.

Hand sanitizer only works so much. It's important to continuously wash your hands with soap and hot water.

Dreamsdocometrue9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #38
lstylr
Mouseketeer

My friend and I were at MK last Saturday (she was working, I was playing) and we both got tonsil/throat infections. We figured there was something going around the park.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #39
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
Have you ever looked at the labels? Most say kills 99% of viruses and bacteria. They likely don't say 99% but not Norovirus. Telling somebody to read the label is just not helpful at all.
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #40
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser

Bleach is the only thing that kills noro. I got noro back in january here in ny. I had to go to the hospital because I was 5 weeks pregnant and I thought I was dying. It was the most horrible experience of my life! I was so scared to get it again in disney (2/21-2/28) but we did lysol the room and were careful with hand washing. Lysol doesnt kill noro but it's better than nothing. All was well.

OP so sorry you are all sick. I hope it passes soon. It takes a full 3 days for it to run its course for some.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
McKelly
DIS Veteran

My DS was sick Thursday night with what I think was Norovirus. Well, guess what I got at about 6:00pm last night? OMG - I haven't been that sick since I can't even remember. I felt like I was knocking on death's door. Feel better this AM, but for those that have had this at Disney - my sympathies. I can't imagine dealing with that in a hotel room.

I will definitely be bringing LOTS of anti-bacterial stuff along when we leave in 11 days! Does anyone know if we can get it again? Are there different strains of Norovirus?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #42
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKelly View Post
I will definitely be bringing LOTS of anti-bacterial stuff along when we leave in 11 days! Does anyone know if we can get it again? Are there different strains of Norovirus?
There are different strains. As I understand it, Norovirus is always more prevalent during the winter months (not sure exactly why that is the case), but there have been reports that a new strain made its way from Australia to the U.S. late last year. That is why the outbreak has been worse than usual this winter--more people who aren't immune to that strain means more people getting sick. Aside from that, I think the virus tends to mutate over time and people lose immunity they'd built up. I've seen it compared to rhinovirus in that sense.

I wish they'd develop a vaccine!

Edited to add that when I was reading about that new strain I also saw a couple of suggested preventive measures I'd never heard of . . . one was drinking something like 3 cups of grape juice per day (!)--no thanks on all that sugar--but the idea was that it makes your stomach more acidic and less hospitable to viruses (probably just wishful thinking). Then someone else suggested doing that just if you thought you'd been exposed--but if you got sick after drinking 3 cups of grape juice . . . wow . . . again, no thanks!

Another suggestion I saw was green tea--something about the phenols making your stomach more acidic, so same general concept as the grape juice. Interestingly, for years I seemed to be the member of my family most susceptible to stomach viruses, but since I started drinking a lot of green tea I really haven't been sick. I did have something early this winter, but it was very mild by comparison. Totally anecdotal, of course, and maybe I just built up immunity by being sick more often over the course of a few years, or maybe it's just the luck of the draw, but I suppose the tea could have had something to do with it. Doesn't matter really since I'm drinking it anyway! I'm skeptical; in fact, I hesitate to even pass this along, but I thought the green tea connection was interesting.

I've also wondered if probiotics might help simply by making your digestive system healthier, but I haven't seen any research on that either.

Last edited by fitzperry; 03-10-2013 at 01:02 PM.
fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #43
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKelly View Post
My DS was sick Thursday night with what I think was Norovirus. Well, guess what I got at about 6:00pm last night? OMG - I haven't been that sick since I can't even remember. I felt like I was knocking on death's door. Feel better this AM, but for those that have had this at Disney - my sympathies. I can't imagine dealing with that in a hotel room.

I haven't been keeping tabs on it but I feel like the news headline 'new strand of Noro found' was something I saw over the winter. I'm pretty sure there are a few different strands floating around I hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #44
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

I've gotta say that I really think it's luck too. We have been to Disney 4 times in the last 3 years and never had 1 person so much as sneeze. And (really don't judge - lol) - we aren't big hand washers. We don't bring any wipes or sanitizer etc. Sounds gross to lots of you I'm sure, but we are that way at home too. Wash after using the restroom and that's about it. My kids aren't huge "mouthers" though - never were. (by that I mean, don't put things or hands in their mouths) So I don't know if we've just been lucky or if we are just healthy from all of the good bacteria we must have from never washing our hands... lol

January 2000 Offsite, September 2010 VWL, September 2011 VWL September 2012 VWL December 2012 VWL & FW Cabins September 2013 VWL February 2014 FW Cabins
September 2014 VWL & WL
Short but Not Sweet Trip Report
You're NOT 5 Until You Eat Cake in the Castle - a Feb/Mar TR
Mom, Can You Quit Hanging on to Me and Just Hang on to Yourself? A Sept 2014 Trip Report.
DopeyDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #45
gbanshee
Mouseketeer

It seems to me that any of these viruses could be picked up anywhere in the "chain" of travel.

1. departing airport
2. plane
3. arrival airport
3. DME (or rental car)
4. Resort
5. Parks
6. DME
7. Airport
8. Plane
9. Airport

When you think of ALL the people you encounter in each step, why always blame Disney?
gbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: