Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Elandon
Earning My Ears

Yes. Norovirus is nothing to scoff at. Most people Resolve on their own but can be infectious for days after the vomiting resolves. Most large outbreaks, however, start from a single sick food worker who passes the infection on to many people in prepared cold food (like salads). I'm actually an infectious diseases physician and epidemiologist so I am interested in tracking this down. The fact that my son and I shared many food items and got sick so close to one another really suggests a foodborne source (as opposed to picking it up from a germy surface- lower likelihood of getting enough virus to cause illness in 2/4 travelers at exactly the same time). As you might imagine, I'm pretty careful with hand washing and disinfectants like many of you are. Another possible source would be a swimming pool that got contaminated. DS and I were swimming at Kidani on Tuesday 3/5 so that's a potential as well.
Elandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
cocofifi
Mouseketeer

So sorry you and your son got sick. Hope you're feeling better.
cocofifi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

My DD, DH and I had it a month ago (not from Disney) - DH ended up being hospitalized for it. It is AWFUL. But, my point is that it is so contagious that I don't know if people could ever narrow down to the exact culprit unless someone close has it, too. We don't know what started ours, but it went from DD, to DH (hospitalized 2 days), to me, to my parents, to my 92 year old grandmother who spent 4 days in the hospital.... BAD BAD STUFF!!!

ETA: Major, major props go out to single mothers/fathers. I caught it while my DH was in the hospital and I was home alone with 15 month year old DD. Trying to take care of her in the night, plus having it come out both ends...let's just say that I have a whole new respect for people who take care of kids on their own!
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

How many times do you hear "We paid a lot of good money for this trip and a little fever and vomiting is not going to keep us from seeing the parks." Or you'll read that little Betty threw up but she felt better so they went ahead to CRT. And those germy hands are touching the rails in the attraction lines or the guard rails on the rides. Or licking the rails and chains in the lines.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
denneg
DIS Veteran

My son and nephew had it 2 weeks ago in Disney. I'm a nurse and went on a research trip years ago when the Niro first came out, to discover why it was running rampant through cruise ships, so this is not foreign to me. However, I really wish it hadn't hit in Disney! When my son got it, I disinfected as though I was in an OR, it was a fully sterile field In the Beach club by the time I was done! My nephew contracted it 2 days later, so I'm thinking this strain has a slower incubation period than the one years ago (it was hours after exposure that people started with symptoms in 2001). All that being said, I think either A. Someone who stayed in the suite before us had it, my son and nephew shared a bed the night before my son was sick, and that's where the sick person had slept or B. my son picked it up somewhere in the park, because he's 4 and has to touch EVERYTHING, and he shared with his cousin. I was much more ridiculous about germ x and hand washing after that sleepless night, and no one else caught it!

My advice for travelers, Lysol wipe your plane seats, trays, seat belts, etc. scrub, and I mean scrub, before you eat. Don't rely on hand sanitizers, actually wash your hands with soap and water for at least as long as two "happy birthday" songs would take. And Lysol your hotel room, even going so far as to run pillows through the dryer if you have the option. I'm not messing around next trip, my family can call me crazy all they want, but I'm not losing another nights sleep and day in the park with a bug!

Trips with kids: October 2013 (Offsite) - May 2013 (Shades of Green) - Feb 2013 (Beach Club & AKL) - Nov 2012 (POR) - Aug 2011 (Sarasota Springs) - Aug 2010 (Boardwalk) - May 2009 (POR)

20+ trips prior to kids (including Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West & Coronado Springs)
denneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Make sure you are using the correct wipes and cleaning agents if you bring your own along. Alcohol won't kill Norovirus.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

I got a throat/cold virus pretty badly (returned home this past Tuesday)- but I'm just assuming that's from all the crowds and planes.

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

We just got back 3 days ago from wdw... On day 3 of our stay my baby also got the stomach bug, a few hours later my hubby got it. The Following day my daughter & I got it & on the very last day my oldest son got it.. We lost 2 full days and a ton of dining credits as well. soooo disappointing hope everyone is feeling better!

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
DonoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #24
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Make sure you are using the correct wipes and cleaning agents if you bring your own along. Alcohol won't kill Norovirus.
What is a recommended product then, please?
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #25
Elandon
Earning My Ears

Denned has it right: Lysol is better than alcohol-based wipes. It has a quaternary ammonia-based cleaning product. Bleach is better than that but most "Clorox wipes" actually have quats in them unless they say "with bleach". Norovirus is killed by heat so running the pillows through the dryer should work if you can get them hot enough for long enough. For hands, soap and water is your best protection against norovirus but alcohol-based hand gel is great for preventing colds and flu. If you saw a mom and son singing happy birthday at the sinks last week, it was probably us! You need to wet your hands, then lather with soap for 15-20 seconds and rinse with your hands moving and scrubbing under the water.

My Ds4 and I are getting better slowly (he is improving more quickly than I am) and I think we either went into an unlucky bathroom stall or ate something together. Food workers can spread norovirus to others through their food for a week or more AFTER they get better so its up to a company to put policies into place about food workers with diarrheal illness that keeps them away from food production long enough to prevent spread. If we as visitors continue to see such illnesses as inevitable and always blame a parent bringing sick kids to the park (no kid with norovirus is well enough to be in the park after the first time they vomit), disney won't address policy for food workers. Does anyone know what Disney's policy is about restricting sick food workers?
Elandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #26
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Elandon, I appreciate you sharing your knowlege with us. Hang around here to answer other questions, too, ok??
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Not at Disney yet, but the kids and I had the stomach flu two weeks ago and my husband had it last weekend. So glad we had it before we came to Disney. We couldn't get out of the bed.... I had it over the long weekend and was okay by Tuesday, having been sick on Friday.

medhdd7ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #28
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

My youngest got sick Sunday and was sick all through Monday throwing up. Sunday was our last day there and she woke up with a bellyache so probably picked something up the night before. Didn't start actually getting sick until early evening and even then felt totally fine, just tossed up anything about 15 minutes after she ate it. The 4 other party (1 child, 3 adults) were fine. If you saw a little Bibbity Bobbity'd Merida hiked under her daddy's arm like a football running through the streets of MK toward the bathroom, you saw us!

My husband at the leftovers for both kids (DON'T JUDGE!) lol - just a place full of germs and this year has been crazy bad with illnesses.

Last edited by aaarcher86; 03-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #29
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denneg View Post
My son and nephew had it 2 weeks ago in Disney. I'm a nurse and went on a research trip years ago when the Niro first came out, to discover why it was running rampant through cruise ships, so this is not foreign to me. However, I really wish it hadn't hit in Disney! When my son got it, I disinfected as though I was in an OR, it was a fully sterile field In the Beach club by the time I was done! My nephew contracted it 2 days later, so I'm thinking this strain has a slower incubation period than the one years ago (it was hours after exposure that people started with symptoms in 2001). All that being said, I think either A. Someone who stayed in the suite before us had it, my son and nephew shared a bed the night before my son was sick, and that's where the sick person had slept or B. my son picked it up somewhere in the park, because he's 4 and has to touch EVERYTHING, and he shared with his cousin. I was much more ridiculous about germ x and hand washing after that sleepless night, and no one else caught it!

My advice for travelers, Lysol wipe your plane seats, trays, seat belts, etc. scrub, and I mean scrub, before you eat. Don't rely on hand sanitizers, actually wash your hands with soap and water for at least as long as two "happy birthday" songs would take. And Lysol your hotel room, even going so far as to run pillows through the dryer if you have the option. I'm not messing around next trip, my family can call me crazy all they want, but I'm not losing another nights sleep and day in the park with a bug!
Agree with this too!

We Lysol'd EVERYTHING the second we got into the room and did it every single day we returned from the park. We washed our hands frequently and then sanitized afterwards for good measure.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandon View Post
Does anyone know what Disney's policy is about restricting sick food workers?
I would think they have a tight policy, if their record for their cruise line is similar to what they have on Disney land properties. The CDC tracks cruise ship outbreaks, and Disney only appeared once (2002):

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

It makes me very leery of some other cruise lines. Some of them appear year after year!

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: