Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
laurenvic1312959
Mouseketeer

Can't wait for more
I love reading race trip reports now since we've officially made the decision to do the wine and dine half marathon when we're in disney for our wedding (even if it is a couple of years away yet) plenty of time to train up

Me, Lauren (21) and DF Adam (27)
1997, 1998, 2003, 2008 and 2011 - Off site
Me and my DF as a bridesmaid and best man at a DFTW! A Jan 2013 TR Complete!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
Yes! It will also be my first half. I've been training for short races this summer and will do a 10K in the fall. I can't wait!
I'm sure you will have an amazing time! I hope your training is going well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I'm in too; I lurk a lot but I am planning on doing either the WDW half or the Princess half next year, so I want to see more about runner's experiences on the course and at the parks during that time! So I'll be here, waiting!

Alright, welcome! It might take a bit to get to the actual running part of this TR, but hopefully it'll be worth the wait. And that's awesome that you plan on doing one of the halfs! Best of luck with training!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenvic1312959 View Post
Can't wait for more
I love reading race trip reports now since we've officially made the decision to do the wine and dine half marathon when we're in disney for our wedding (even if it is a couple of years away yet) plenty of time to train up

Ooh, Wine and Dine! I'd love to do that one someday! All of my friends who have done it, rave about it. I like the idea of getting to eat all the great food afterward.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Alright, welcome! It might take a bit to get to the actual running part of this TR, but hopefully it'll be worth the wait. And that's awesome that you plan on doing one of the halfs! Best of luck with training!
That's ok, take your time. I'll be around. Lol!

Last edited by ZehnJahren; 03-14-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
That's ok, take your time. I'll be around. Lol!

I'm about to put up the first update that's not mainly exposition, so things are starting to get more interesting, I think!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Eight
Mouseketeer

Friday, February 22

Once again, the morning came quickly.

So I feel like I should give some background on getting in to the runDisney meet up.

On the Disney Parks blog, they post these special meet ups for some of the runDisney events. To get in, you have to send an email once they post the blog entry. I was fortunate enough to get in to the meet up for the Tinker Bell Half Marathon, and I believe it filled up in 5-10 minutes. So getting in is competitive, to say the least.

They usually tease the blog entry on Twitter, saying what day theyll post it, but not what time. It was announced that it would go up on Friday, February 15th. I got up super early on that Friday, as I assumed it would go up pretty early Pacific Time. Its a little embarrassing, but I was on my computer for hours waiting for the blog post, as were many others.

Finally, around 1 or 2 PST, it was announced that some villains had gotten in the way, and that it would be posted on Monday instead. Okay. Disappointing, but I could deal with that. I figured I would just do the same thing on Monday, as I didnt have any plans that morning.

At 1:30AM Monday morning, I got a message from a friend telling me that the blog post had gone up! Wait, what? It was 1:30 in the morning! Slightly confused, I sent my email off, tried to get back to sleep, and hoped for the best.

When I woke up around 7:30 Monday morning, I had received an email saying I had gotten in! I was so excited!

So after all that, I was ready for the meet up on Friday.

Since they dont provide transportation to the meet ups, my mom was kind enough to drive me to Epcot where the event was held. I had to be there between 6 and 6:30, I believe. When I got there, I was given a runDisney tech shirt to put on. Then it was stand around and wait time. Despite them wanting you to get there by 6:30, the event didnt actually start until 7.

Most of the attendees were women, and I had a nice time talking to some of them while waiting for it to start.

And I took a bunch of pictures of Spaceship Earth. Consider this your warning.

Finally, it was time! (and finally the Spaceship Earth pictures stop!) The meet up started with a run around Epcot and the Epcot resort area. There were two groups, a running group and a run/walk group. I chose the run/walk group because I am not a fast runner at all.

(Photo courtesy of runDisney)

It was very cool getting to run through the World Showcase before the park opened.

As we ran by Germany we saw Snow White and Rapunzel cheering us on, and the Fairy Godmother in France.

We then circled around the Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach Club area, before returning to Germany where we breakfast was waiting for us at Biergarten.

As we ate breakfast, we listened to some speakers, including Rachel Booth who won the Princess Half Marathon last year.

After breakfast, we were given a bag with a water bottle and some H2O Products, and a 1 day park hopper ticket that expired February 28th. Pretty cool.

We also had the opportunity to get pictures with Princess Minnie, Rapunzel, and Snow White. Of course, I got picture with all of them.

As well as Sean Astin. I had gotten a picture with him at the Tinker Bell Half Meet Up, although it wasnt with my camera. I was a pretty big Lord of the Rings fan in middle school and high school, so I was excited.

After getting all those pictures, it was time to meet back up with my mom. She had been texting me while I was at the meet up, and had already ridden the new Test Track.

I took a few more pictures of an empty World Showcase (because there can never be enough of those), and met her in Mexico.

I mentioned I wanted to ride Test Track, so she suggested the single rider line because that was what she had done and had been able to get on quickly. So thats where we went!

My mom said she wasnt a huge fan of the new Test Track, but she decided to ride again anyway. Because lets be real, most of the time, riding a ride again, even one you dont love, is usually better than waiting outside.

My opinion of it? Not impressed. Test Track was never a must-ride for me anyway, and now its even less of a must-ride. I thought it might be cool visually, at least from what I had heard, but I thought it looked kind of cheap.

Oh well.

After that underwhelming ride, we drove back to CSR because I wanted to go to the Princess Half Marathon Expo to pick up my bib, as well as my moms for the 5K, and check out the merchandise.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

Oh this is exciting,I have friends who have run the Tot last fall n this yrs princess half,and I'm going to do the 5k in Ak in May 2014

Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
Oh this is exciting,I have friends who have run the Tot last fall n this yrs princess half,and I'm going to do the 5k in Ak in May 2014

The Expedition Everest Challenge looks fun. I want to do that one someday too! I know I keep saying that about all these races, but what can I say, I want to do them all!

Thank you for reading!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
Eight
Mouseketeer

I realized when I was about to post this that I had NO pictures! I'm sure you'll understand why when you read it, but I did take a few pictures of the merchandise I got so at least there is something.

My first clue that the expo was going to be busy should have been all the buses trying to get in to Coronado Springs Resort.

Okay, actually, my first clue was really all the people on Twitter saying it was super busy, but it really sunk in when we had to wait a few turns at the light to get in, and then practically be interrogated by a security guard that yes, we really were staying at CSR and we just wanted to go to our rooms.

Finally we made it through, dropped some stuff off, picked up our waivers, and walked over to the expo.

It wasnít too bad. At first. It was very deceptive. There wasnít a long line for picking up bibs, that was easy. Too easy.

My mom decided she would go pick up her t-shirt, while I waited in line to see if I could change my corral. She got back right before I was changed from Corral G to Corral E, and the first thing she said was, ďit's a zoo back there! There are people everywhere and there are no lines! Itís so disorganized.Ē

Luckily for her, there hadnít been many people trying to get the 5K t-shirt, and she hadnít had much of a problem getting hers, but trying to your Princess Half Marathon shirt was apparently ridiculous.

Okay. Well, letís check out the official merchandise first instead, I suggested.

The booth for official Princess Half Marathon merchandise was impossibly small, and there was a line to get in, but it moved fairly quickly.

That wasnít so bad.

But inside? That was a different story.

Like I said, the booth was super small, so there was this huge switchback line up people trying to pay in the middle, while on either side of the line, people attempted to maneuver through to actually see the merchandise. It felt claustrophobically busy.

In retrospect I should have taken a picture to give you an idea of how cramped it was, but at the time, all I could think of was get my merchandise and GET OUT.

My mom had the smart idea of getting in line to pay, figuring I pick up what I wanted while she waited.

What I wanted most was a Coast to Coast sweatshirt.

runDisney offers a special medal to anyone who does a half marathon at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland called the Coast to Coast Medal. Since I was getting that this weekend, having done the Tinker Bell Half Marathon at Disneyland the month before, I wanted a Coast to Coast Sweatshirt to commemorate that.

I asked a cast member where the Coast to Coast merchandise was, and he indicated it was in a back corner. I walk over there andÖ

No Coast to Coast sweatshirt.

The only Coast to Coast merchandise they had were two menís tech shirts. I was a little upset. Just a month ago, at the Tinker Bell Expo, they had had tons of sweatshirts, womenís tech shirts, and menís shirts. Now they just had menís.

Iím fairly short and petite, and unisex/menís shirts usually look pretty big and baggy on me. I grabbed a grey one anyway, and fought my way over to where my mom was in line.

This is not my greatest moment, but I very nearly starting crying in line. ďI just wanted a Coast to Coast sweatshirt, and all they have are these dumb menís shirts!Ē I fumed.

Iím not sure why I was so upset, but I suspect it was due to feeling claustrophobic and not having eaten well that morning.

So my mom got out of line and asked three different cast members if there was a chance they had any other Coast to Coast merchandise. They said they hadnít seen any.

Dang!

I ended up also grabbing a Princess Half Marathon T-shirt and jacket as sort of a consolation prize, a pin, as well as the menís Coast to Coast shirt because I did NOT come all the way to Florida to not get something!

The jacket is less green in real life, more of a teal. It's a really pretty color.

After we paid, we noticed a woman holding a white shirt. More specifically, a white small womanís Coast to Coast t-shirt. What?! I had not seen those!

We asked where she had found that, and it had been hanging misplaced on another white t-shirt rack. But she wasnít sure a small would fit so she was having a cast member look in the back for a medium for her.

Okay, where was that cast member when we were looking?

We made a deal with her. If that cast member brought back a medium, we could have the small.

So we waited in that small booth, which was awful because you were always in the way of someone.

Finally the cast member came back with a medium for her! And a sweatshirt!

Wait, a sweatshirt?!

ďExcuse, is there any chance you could look in the back for a small sweatshirt, you would be my hero, seriously.Ē

The cast member gave me a funny look (perhaps he isn't used to being a hero?), but agreed, and came back with my beloved Coast to Coast sweatshirt.

Do you know awkward it is to take a picture of yourself wearing a sweatshirt? I mean, I could have taken it off, but I was already wearing it and it's cold in here!

Although at this point, I was officially over with the merchandise tent. My mom kindly agreed to stand in line yet again for me, while I checked out if it was still crazy to get your race t-shirt.

It wasn't crazy, they had finally organized a line to pick up your t-shirt, and while it ridiculously long, it moved quickly and was not in a claustrophobically small booth so I didnít mind waiting in it.

I was able to get my t-shirt and found my mom shortly after. We were both exhausted from the getting up early and the madness of the expo, and just wanted to leave and get food.

So we did.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
magichusky
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad you found your sweatshirt!! I definitely agree- the Coast to Coast design is pretty awesome and I would have shamelessly accosted multiple CMs while trying to get one. How obnoxious that apparently only one CM knew about them- why didn't they like, put them out for sale...? I also really love the Princess 1/2 shirt! I'll totally wear anything that's fluorescent pink!

Those runDisney meet ups are so awesome- did you have to pay to get in? I can't believe that they had all those characters come out especially for the meet up. And Sean Astin again??? Why is he obsessed w/ runDisney? Did he recognize you from the DL meet up?

How weird it must've been to be at Epcot at 6:30am!
-In Progress- "I Don't CruiseÖ I Jingle Cruise." --A New Year's PTR--
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #26
jwwi
DIS Veteran

Great start to your TR, and way to go with scoring your coast to coast merchandise!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #27
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichusky View Post
I'm so glad you found your sweatshirt!! I definitely agree- the Coast to Coast design is pretty awesome and I would have shamelessly accosted multiple CMs while trying to get one. How obnoxious that apparently only one CM knew about them- why didn't they like, put them out for sale...? I also really love the Princess 1/2 shirt! I'll totally wear anything that's fluorescent pink!

Those runDisney meet ups are so awesome- did you have to pay to get in? I can't believe that they had all those characters come out especially for the meet up. And Sean Astin again??? Why is he obsessed w/ runDisney? Did he recognize you from the DL meet up?

How weird it must've been to be at Epcot at 6:30am!

I have no idea. It was all very weird. Eventually, after we found the nice CM who found it for us, he put more out on display. Oh! And of course, at the finish of the half marathon on Sunday, according to my mom, there was tons of C2C merchandise at one of the tents, including the sweatshirts and women's shirts. Go figure.

They are completely free, which is one of the best parts! Also why they are so hard to get in to, probably. Nah, I don't think he recognized me, but he was very nice. I don't know why he's obsessed though. It's kind of funny.

Weird..... but amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
Great start to your TR, and way to go with scoring your coast to coast merchandise!

Thank you! I wear my Coast to Coast sweatshirt all the time, it's cold in my apartment!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #28
laurenvic1312959
Mouseketeer

I love the look of all your merchandise I think that's gonna be one of my favourite parts of the wine and dine half, buying all the goodies
looking forward to readin more x

Me, Lauren (21) and DF Adam (27)
1997, 1998, 2003, 2008 and 2011 - Off site
Me and my DF as a bridesmaid and best man at a DFTW! A Jan 2013 TR Complete!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #29
rani8600
Mouseketeer

After all that expo stress, im glad you were able to get what you were looking for

I missed the expo this time around, but i hope that i will be able to go to one for the next rundisney race i do. Hopefully they will have learned from this and not try to put it there again.

A Fall Trip full of firsts, MNSSHP and Food and Wine Oct 2011
13.1 Royal Miles-2013 Princess Half Marathon

VeganRamblings my blog - includes additional trip reports
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #30
Eight
Mouseketeer

So sorry for such a delay! I have been out of town for the past two weeks, and to be honest, working on this wasn't exactly my first priority. But I have a lot of free time tomorrow so I am hoping I will be able to get an update in then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenvic1312959 View Post
I love the look of all your merchandise I think that's gonna be one of my favourite parts of the wine and dine half, buying all the goodies
looking forward to readin more x

Oh my gosh, I love the expo and all the fun stuff you can buy there. I would have loved to have spent more time at this one. And you're doing Wine and Dine? Awesome! I'd love to do that one someday. It's not going to happen for me this year, but I'm crossing my fingers for 2014 or 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rani8600 View Post
After all that expo stress, im glad you were able to get what you were looking for

I missed the expo this time around, but i hope that i will be able to go to one for the next rundisney race i do. Hopefully they will have learned from this and not try to put it there again.

Me too haha. And I love wearing the tech shirts I got (especially the purple one) when I work out now. It all works out.

Since this isn't the normal place, I can't imagine they'd hold it here again, or if they did, I would hope they would somehow use more of the convention center, since it appeared to be large walking through it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: