Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #76
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teentoddlermom View Post
Hi Neighbor..
: worship:Lucky you! I would love to get an upgrade.. Hopefully your baby is better and you survived the annoying snowstorm around here yesterday!
I agree about AKL. It is the most non disney resort. Although WL was designed by the same architect, it is much more of a happy feel for me. I did not like AKL. However, AKL is the only 'Deluxe' with somewhat reasonably priced rooms. WL is getting very pricy now. I love Pop. Liked All Stars too, but now they really need a freshening.. I am trying AoA LM next month, and expect to like it. But lately, my favorite resort (except for bad bus service) is PORS.
Oh hi!! we are neighbors!! so cool! Ty for your feed back and please let me know how you like AOA, which theam did you choose? I'm thinking of trying Nemo, love the Decor in the pics!!
Have a great Vacation

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
DonoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #77
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for the kind words of encouragement, wisdom and even sympathy The bottom line is knowing what type of feel you personally want out of your resort/stay in general. Many of you hit it right on, there is a Resort fitting for so many unique individual tastes. Knowing what yours is before hand can save you heart ache and money... If you prefer a dark quiet, tranquil place, there's akl & wl (not sure how quiet poly is?) if you love water & that cape cod look, I guess bc & yc, if you want loud, huge colorful icons, giant food court than the Valus. Either way, I'm glad I experienced AKL. I thought I would love everything about it and although I found it beautiful in different ways, just not what we prefer during our Disney stays.. So... do some homework. Ask yourself simple questions, like do I want to be in a tranquil resort with earth tone colors? do I want to feel like I'm visiting Marta's vineyard? do I want to feel like I'm surrounded by giant icons where it gets pretty loud? Knowing these answers should guide you quite a bit oh and of course, checking out pictures from allears.net or just google and youtube the resorts. Happy planning to anyone doing so!!!

9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #78
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

I recently fell in love with akl. I had consider wl for our next trip but the family wants akl again.
I hate boma but loved wcc. When i walked into wl i felt it was smaller and felt more congested than akl. And the pool looked alot smaller. The location i liked tho.
What r the good room locations at wl and how much more is it than akl? I thought they were bout the same
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #79
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I would make a suggestion to families that normally stay at value resorts and are possibly looking to upgrade to a mod or a deluxe on a future vacation ..... pick a mod or a deluxe resort where you have dined in the past and have had a chance to see the resort.
I remember our first trip as a family to WDW. We stayed at POR. When we saw the GF from the MK we thought it was a dream resort that we wanted to stay at. Thank goodness we saw it and that we also saw the Poly. We realized when we saw the GF in person that it was NOT for us. We also realized when we saw the Poly that it was our dream resort. After many years the Poly is still my favourite.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #80
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Sorry about the bad experience. I would not give up on all delxes though since thu are all so different in there decor and ammenities they offer. Take a look on the disneyworld website which will give u pictures of all the resorts. It gives you feel of what youll be getting into.

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #81
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryb View Post
I would make a suggestion to families that normally stay at value resorts and are possibly looking to upgrade to a mod or a deluxe on a future vacation ..... pick a mod or a deluxe resort where you have dined in the past and have had a chance to see the resort.
I remember our first trip as a family to WDW. We stayed at POR. When we saw the GF from the MK we thought it was a dream resort that we wanted to stay at. Thank goodness we saw it and that we also saw the Poly. We realized when we saw the GF in person that it was NOT for us. We also realized when we saw the Poly that it was our dream resort. After many years the Poly is still my favourite.
very good advice

9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #82
mamaprincess
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

It is the opposite for me. We stayed at AS Sports for a cheer competition last week and I detested it. It just seemed cheesy and cheap. I can't wait to get back to AKL in July and am not at all looking forward to being stuck at the values for cheer next year. Disney has really covered everyone's tastes with their wide range of resort styles.
mamaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #83
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I've been very reluctant to try AKL for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. We weren't impressed with WL and AKL shares the same basic design with a different theme overlayed. IMO, they are both semi-deluxe - more amenities than a moderate resort but without the location advantages of the "true" deluxes on the monorail and in the Epcot resort area - and our stay at WL left us feeling like we should have saved our money and stuck with a moderate resort. Staying at the Beach Club, on the other hand, was a wonderful experience, worth every dime, and we'll stay there again someday.

I also understand getting spoiled by the values. I was so nervous about trying Pop because everyone on the DIS seems to agree that it is very hard to step down a level in resort choice, but I ended up really liking both value resorts we've stayed at. The smaller size of the resort, colorful themes, and efficient transportation really got us hooked, and we all enjoy the more active/fun/playful vibe. My kids loved the All Stars for the ability to pool or movie hop between the three, while I prefer Pop just on theme and feel.

I also think different trips demand different resort experiences. We aren't "relax around the resort" vacationers when we travel as a family, so the values suit us on those trips. But when I head down with DH and leave the kids at home, we'll certainly want a resort with some good lounging-around potential and are really thinking a deluxe club level room will best fit the bill.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #84
charminnie
Mouseketeer

There is a resort for every family. We absolutely love AKL. I think the resort is beatifully themed in every way. It feels like we are in Africa every time we stay there. My husband and i want to feel like we are on vacation as well as the kids when we go to Disney. After spending all day in parks that are loud, bright and full of characters we love to return to our African oasis. I dont want to return to a motel. We enjoy a glass of wine near the pool or relax around the fire. My kids 5 and 7 absolutely live the animals.
charminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #85
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Maybe try a different deluxe resort? I can say, my DH and I have stayed at value, moderate, and deluxe. We prefer the deluxe resorts.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #86
Cap'nJack'sMum
Psycho for The Mouse

Our family is weird. We love POP *and* Jambo House! We love them so much, that we have to do split-stays so we can stay at both places! We love the energy of POP, the huge icons, and the pools. But we also love the dark, tranquil, lush feel of AKL.

We do POP at the beginning of our trip, when we're all full of energy and feel like going 100mph. Then we switch to AKL after we've commando-ed the parks and feel like taking it easy for a few days.

I think the worst part of your story is that your little one got sick during your trip. That would be horrible anywhere you were staying. I'm glad it worked out and you got a sprinkling of pixie dust. I know it's hard when you get something that you're weren't expecting. We pretty much know that YC/BC and GF would never be for us. Disney has great, and very different, hotels to suit all sorts of tastes. Now you'll just have to try another one!
January 2009 - POP Century
February 2010 - POP Century
February 2011 - POP Century
August 2011 - POP Century/POFQ Split Stay
January 2012 - POR
August 2012 - POP Century/AKV Split Stay
March 2013 - POP Century/Off-site Condo Split Stay
August 2013 - Pool House/AKV Split Stay
August 2014 - Windsor Palms Splash Pool Townhome
Cap'nJack'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #87
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaprincess View Post
It is the opposite for me. We stayed at AS Sports for a cheer competition last week and I detested it. It just seemed cheesy and cheap. I can't wait to get back to AKL in July and am not at all looking forward to being stuck at the values for cheer next year. Disney has really covered everyone's tastes with their wide range of resort styles.
Ouch, I agree that cheer week is horrible in the valus.. I tried to find those out before hand lol

9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #88
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

OP I know what you mean. Im very much like you. I love the bright and exciting atmosphere that the values offer. Mind you i've only stayed at the mods and values. Never deluxe. Even with the mods I dont feel that its worth the extra $ im spending. I hardly use the hot tub and my son hardly uses the pool slide. Im a single mom of one, so the two double beds are fine for us. We stayed at CSR last trip and although it was great, we missed the vibe at pop. Lol. I just didnt benefit from any of the extra frills that CSR offered. To each their own right.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #89
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I know it might not seem like it at times on these forums, but it's really ok, to not like a resort or love another one.

It is just a resort, not your life long mate.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #90
Robbi
DIS Veteran

OP, I respect what you've posted. We loved AKL but did not like the Poly or YC and thought BC, even SAB, were just ok. Luckily though, we loved BW,GF,CR, and CSR. We like SSR a lot. There's something that appeals to almost everyone. I saw at least one poster advise you to look at resort pictures before you book next time. It's a good idea. Next time a code becomes available, try a different place. Part of the fun for us over the years has been trying the different resorts.
Sorry AKL was not as wonderful as you expected.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: