Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Chances of making an 11am flight home??

What are the chances of making an 11am flight out of MCO?
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
What are the chances of making an 11am flight out of MCO?
Well, as long as the ship has no problem getting into port on time, you disembark early (and don't leave your bags out the night before, but carry them off), and Customs is ready, and your trasportation is ready to go as soon as you get there, and there's no traffic accidents/road work, and you don't have a big line at either you airline checkin or security at the airport, you chances are fair.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
ro8821
Earning My Ears

Our flight left around 11 and we made it out just fine
ro8821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
FJS961
DIS Veteran

I know its risky.

My choices stink. I do not want to take a 5:45pm or 7:40pm flight out. Another option is to rent a car one way for around $40 and drive almost 3 hrs down to FLL to catch a 2:30pm flight.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
3mmm
Mouseketeer

we faced this dilemna last time. Our perfectly timed flight was changed to just before 11AM. There were no other options given to us by United. Since it was Sunday of spring break in the midwest there were absolutely no other flights available. If there had been a flight we could have bumped to if we missed it, we would have taken our chances. Our options were fly out of Tampa or fly into Chicago instead of Grand Rapids, MI (3 hour drive) We opted for the later and payed a couple to drive two cars to Chicago (because we couldn't fit all 8 of us plus them in one car) We used on board check in and debarked at the last moment (8 AM, I believe for on board checkin). We were the last ones to board the on-board check in bus and we made it to MCO in plenty of time to make our original 11 o'clock flight!!! We of course had to wait hours and then faced a long drive home. would I make the same decision again? Yes, if it was Spring break. If it was a different time and other flights were available, I would take my chances

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
3mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
samily
DIS Veteran

My DH and I made a 10:50 flight. We had a quick breakfast at the buffet and we were in the first bunch of people off the ship and took DCL transfers. If I am remembering correctly we were at the airport at around 8:45. We only had carry on size suitcases so we didnt have to stand in line to check any bags at the airport. We made it to the gate with plenty of time to spare, so it can work! I also had a list of flights leaving after ours in case we missed it but it all worked out.

If you are flying with an airline that participates in DCL's onboard check in, and you take DCL transfers to MCO, you wouldnt have to worry about your luggage as when you leave it out the night before, you wont see it again until your home airport.

Good luck!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
3mmm
Mouseketeer

For online check in your flight has to leave after 11:30.

That contributed to us deciding not to risk it. If we had to find all our luggage at the port and then deal with it again at the airport with 5 children, we figured we would never make it. And walking off with all our luggage, 5 kids and a stroller - not a pretty site!!!!!!

On board check in is wonderful!!

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
3mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
samily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mmm View Post
For online check in your flight has to leave after 11:30.

That contributed to us deciding not to risk it. If we had to find all our luggage at the port and then deal with it again at the airport with 5 children, we figured we would never make it. And walking off with all our luggage, 5 kids and a stroller - not a pretty site!!!!!!

On board check in is wonderful!!
I forgot about the timing for onboard check in!

Unless we really had to get home for something, if we had been traveling with the kids, I wouldnt have booked it that early. I would have been too stressed worrying about getting them up and going so early and worrying how we would get 6 people onto a different flight if we had missed the flight. Its so much easier when it is just me and DH!!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

That's outside my comfort zone. We barely made a 12:35 pm flight, and others have faced similar situations with security backups at MCO. Even if Disney does everything perfectly, like they did for our cruise, one small glitch on the way to the airport, or at the airport, and you're sunk.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Though not your exact question here is our experience from last week out of MCO from our Dream cruise. Our flight was at 11:35 and we were taking DCL transfers and were part of the Onboard Airline Check-In program (if your flight leaves before 1:00 pm you MUST be off the ship and on the bus by 8:00 am. If you flight leaves after 1:00 pm you must be off by 9:00 am). As mentioned your flight must leave after 11:25 to be eligible to participate.

We had breakfast in Cabanas at 7:20, were back to our cabin by 7:50 to pick up our carryons and walked off the ship and were on the bus by 8:00 am. Our bus left a few minutes after 8:00 am and were at the airport 45 minutes later. We did encounter a long line at security (a good 20 minutes) for our United flight.

We probably could have made an 11:00 am flight but then we did not have any bags to check at the airport which could have eaten up some time.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
BlakeandMaddysMomma
Mouseketeer

We were on the Fantasy in January and had a 12:05 flight. We made it to the terminal about 20 minutes before boarding time. We had MAJOR delays getting off the ship though. We were out of our room by 7, had a quick bite to eat at Cabanas an then headed down to get off the ship. They had not even started letting people off the ship yet!! We did not get off the ship until almost 9:00. But we still made it
BlakeandMaddysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
FJS961
DIS Veteran

It would be just me and DW without the kids on this one. That makes it easier to get up and out quickly. The sooner I can get us out and back home, the happier she would be. We did this once before in 2011 on an early Dream cruise but the flights home were earlier and more convenient.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer

Please be advised that with all the government furloughs there will be delays in the upcoming months. Please give yourself some time to clear customs and airport security.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Well, as long as the ship has no problem getting into port on time, you disembark early (and don't leave your bags out the night before, but carry them off), and Customs is ready, and your trasportation is ready to go as soon as you get there, and there's no traffic accidents/road work, and you don't have a big line at either you airline checkin or security at the airport, you chances are fair.
Key statemetn "as long as the ship has no problem getting into port on time" On one of our cruises we were significantly delayed in boarding because the ship didn't even dock until about 7 or 8 am. You can't just "run off" the ship the minute it hits the pier. It takes a while. One of the CM at the port did tell us that she had seen a lot of "paniced" people when they finally started letting around 9 or so. We were delayed an hour in boarding due to this so...

As for the "delays" due to furloughts. It's MCO. Will you be able to tell a difference?

That's the other reason I would not take an early flight. It wins a prize for "worst run security checkpoints"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
scribega
Where's Perry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
I know its risky.

My choices stink. I do not want to take a 5:45pm or 7:40pm flight out. Another option is to rent a car one way for around $40 and drive almost 3 hrs down to FLL to catch a 2:30pm flight.
Have you checked the Jacksonville airport for flights?

The other option is to take the later flight and you and your DW go over to DTD and shop and have lunch.
CBR - Oct. 2008
POP - Dec. 2009 - free dining
POP - March 2010 - quick biz trip
POP - Sept. 2010 - free dining
POP - Sept. 2011 - free dining
Disney Dream - Sept / POP - Sept. 2012 - free dining
-----
DISdad member #633
scribega is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: