DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
peacefrogdog
DIS Veteran

Here now at Aulani - why cant I get a good cup of coffee without leaving the area?

Just arrived at Aulani yesterday and the resort is beautiful. I do have a big beef - why can't I find a place where I can get a good cup of coffee or a latte? I just assumed there would be some sort of cafe similar to the Cove Cafe on DCL. But when asking a bunch of staff we we told that we would have to drive into Kapolei to get one or eat in a restaurant on the premises and order coffee with the meal.

Am I missing something? Surely with a resort full of families meaning that parents will be needing a caffeine fix by mid-afternoon, you would expect that you could find a place to unwind and have a nice cup of coffee.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks

Go into Kalepa's Store and purchase the refillable mug $18.99. As you enter the store, the mug and coffee refill station in along the wall on your right. Best coffee I've had in a long time! Coffee is available at 7 AM at the store and also in the Olelo room. The Olelo room is usually a little less crowded for filling with coffee. There is no mug refill in the Olelo room, only coffee. We brewed only 1 pot of coffee in our room in our 10 day stay. The Aulani coffee is superb!
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
peacefrogdog
DIS Veteran

I guess what I'm missing is the experience so to speak, of sitting in a cafe environment. I'm surprised they don't have a place like that. With th opportunity to brew high quality coffee, add some pastries, malasadas and some parents who have dropped off their kids at Aunty's House, they could make a killing
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks

You can do that in the Olelo room in the mornings and the pastries there are out of this world! Make sure you try the almond croissant - we had one every day.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
peacefrogdog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznyDi
You can do that in the Olelo room in the mornings and the pastries there are out of this world! Make sure you try the almond croissant - we had one every day.
Can you get them in the afternoon?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Whenever we go to Hawaii I always find a place to stock up on Kona coffee. Love me some Kona coffee...

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
Whenever we go to Hawaii I always find a place to stock up on Kona coffee. Love me some Kona coffee...
Me too!!! Whenever DH is in Hawaii for work, he brings me back some...and his distributor over there sends me some for Christmas every year. Never even met the guy!

Loved the coffee in the Oleo Room or from the store. My only beef is it's not open earlier. My DH and his dad would get up at the crack of dawn some days and go to Kapolei, have some coffee and loco moco, and bring us back malasadas.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

FYI, the Kona coffee provided in the room is wonderful! Also, for those who didn't know...Caribou gets all their green coffee from Greenwell coffee farms in Kona.

Back to the topic though, we found the coffee at Aulani to be very good each time we had it. Is it the coffee you don't like or the fact that it doesn't have a coffee house atmosphere?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznyDi View Post
I loved going there in the morning. Getting a nice pastry and coffee then we'd sit and relax, enjoying the serenity... sweet bliss.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 - POR, SSR, AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland & Club 33 Anniversary Celebration /13 May DL Club 33/Wonder & Sept BLT/BWV /14 June AKV Jambo & VWL & Dec DL Friend's Wedding Celebration

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefrogdog View Post
Can you get them in the afternoon?
No, but you could buy one in the morning and keep it in your villa until the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Little Pixie View Post
Me too!!! Whenever DH is in Hawaii for work, he brings me back some...and his distributor over there sends me some for Christmas every year. Never even met the guy!

Loved the coffee in the Oleo Room or from the store. My only beef is it's not open earlier. My DH and his dad would get up at the crack of dawn some days and go to Kapolei, have some coffee and loco moco, and bring us back malasadas.
The Olro Room opens at 6am which is before dawn. Loved getting a cup of Kona blend after my walk along the beach.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
No, but you could buy one in the morning and keep it in your villa until the afternoon.

The Olro Room opens at 6am which is before dawn. Loved getting a cup of Kona blend after my walk along the beach.
My FIL is an early riser in the best of times. He lives in Tennessee, and when he visits us in California he never switches onto Pacific Time. He goes to bed at 7:30 or 8 and is up at 4 at the latest. He did switch a little for Aulani- but was still up by 4 Hawaiian Time. So he and DH would be at some restaurant that opened at 5 or 5:30? Crazy people!

I loved running the path among the beach resorts in the early morning, or doing the Sunrise Yoga which was FANTASTIC! And yep then a great cup of coffee on the balcony!
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznyDi View Post
Go into Kalepa's Store and purchase the refillable mug $18.99. As you enter the store, the mug and coffee refill station in along the wall on your right. Best coffee I've had in a long time! Coffee is available at 7 AM at the store and also in the Olelo room. The Olelo room is usually a little less crowded for filling with coffee. There is no mug refill in the Olelo room, only coffee. We brewed only 1 pot of coffee in our room in our 10 day stay. The Aulani coffee is superb!
Did you notice that they took the beverage station out of Kalepa's today? To make room for more merch. Now you have to go to Olelo. They also closed the room where the tour information desks were and moved it to the Waianae Tower down the hall from the DVC Sales/sample room area. The tour desks/excursion area is blocked off with plywood and signs that it's closed for imagineering. I don't know what the plans are for that.

Last edited by parrotheadlois; 03-09-2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: correction
parrotheadlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Disneychristy2012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefrogdog
Just arrived at Aulani yesterday and the resort is beautiful. I do have a big beef - why can't I find a place where I can get a good cup of coffee or a latte? I just assumed there would be some sort of cafe similar to the Cove Cafe on DCL. But when asking a bunch of staff we we told that we would have to drive into Kapolei to get one or eat in a restaurant on the premises and order coffee with the meal.

Am I missing something? Surely with a resort full of families meaning that parents will be needing a caffeine fix by mid-afternoon, you would expect that you could find a place to unwind and have a nice cup of coffee.
We bought those pricey ceramic Aulani coffee mugs in the gift shop and filled them up there every morning and sat on the sofas in the lobby that overlook the pool area. Some days we would bring cards and play.
We use those mugs at home a lot and it reminds us of Aulani.

We were there in October and going back in 2 months. Can't get enough Aulani!
Disneychristy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
peacefrogdog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht
FYI, the Kona coffee provided in the room is wonderful! Also, for those who didn't know...Caribou gets all their green coffee from Greenwell coffee farms in Kona.

Back to the topic though, we found the coffee at Aulani to be very good each time we had it. Is it the coffee you don't like or the fact that it doesn't have a coffee house atmosphere?
This morning we found the Olelo room and were able to get our latte. I'm just puzzled about why that can't be open in the afternoon. Otherwise to get something other than a plain coffee in the afternoon we were told we had to go to AMA AMA but they weren't sure whether we could get a drink to go.

I answer to your question it's not that I don't like their coffee; it's pretty good. I just don't like how I'd need to buy the refillable mug to get one during a time other than the morning. I don't need a coffee house atmosphere but it would be nice to have what the Olelo room has to offer but open beyond 10 AM
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefrogdog View Post
This morning we found the Olelo room and were able to get our latte. I'm just puzzled about why that can't be open in the afternoon. Otherwise to get something other than a plain coffee in the afternoon we were told we had to go to AMA AMA but they weren't sure whether we could get a drink to go.

I answer to your question it's not that I don't like their coffee; it's pretty good. I just don't like how I'd need to buy the refillable mug to get one during a time other than the morning. I don't need a coffee house atmosphere but it would be nice to have what the Olelo room has to offer but open beyond 10 AM
You don't have to buy the mug to get the regular coffee at anytime of the day. You can purchase just a cup at a time.

I'd recommend giving your suggestion to a manager at Aulani.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: