Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

AK Savanna View in July Heat!?!

My wife and I are very close to book AKV for mid July 2013 and we were wondering if the balconies provide enough shade for you to be able to enjoy the animals in the middle of the July heat? Can you really sit out on balcony at 2pm and enjoy yourself? Thanks
Polynesian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Depends on which direction your room faces. As you'll see from the map, that could be just about any direction depending on which trail you're on and which side of the wing.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynesian27 View Post
My wife and I are very close to book AKV for mid July 2013 and we were wondering if the balconies provide enough shade for you to be able to enjoy the animals in the middle of the July heat? Can you really sit out on balcony at 2pm and enjoy yourself? Thanks
I don't know that you can enjoy any balcony in Orlando in July. It is hot, just hang by the pool.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

I'll agree with previous posters.... Balconies are sort of a waste mid summer or in any heat.... I'd rather be at the pool mid day....

I've seen people sitting on their balconies with the slider open for some A/C breeze from the room.... Pet peeve of mine and glad Disney installed the sensor if the slider is open, A/C doesn't work!!

I've also got to say if at AKL, animals won't be out in the extreme heat either, so for me a Savannah view is a waste of money...

Do as you please, but we go to WDW for the heat and waking non park hours are enjoyed at the resort pool!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your responses.
Polynesian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
RunningWithScissors
Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

We didn't stay at AK in July, but we did in October when FL had a record heat wave. It was 98-102 degrees all week. Brutal! Anyway, the animals were roaming all over the place--we had giraffes and zebras and other animals outside our balcony every day all day. We were in the parks most of the day so we didn't have the opportunity to sit on the balcony during the day, but we did in the mornings.

I mean, you know it is going to be sweltering in the summer so if that doesn't bother you, go for it!! You never know how it will be!!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We've been there in June and late July/early August. There were always animals roaming about. The overhang kept our balcony shady in the afternoon, but it would really depend on which way your room is facing I guess, and maybe what floor you are on. We actually did enjoy the balcony (more around 4pm or so) for long stretches of time, so it couldn't have been all that hot... (My family is not use to the heat and humidity in FL).

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Sure it will be hotter than heck, but it will provide you with a truer African feel.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Since I can only travel in the summer, I have done it many times, it really isn't that bad. The biggest issue we have had is the lens of the camera fogging up because the temp inside is so much lower thant he temp outside!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

was there last July and animals roamed at all times of day...balcony was a little shaded and you could sit out there for a little while. If you do wear a hat and shades and drink a nice cool beverage when animal watching. You can also open the curtains and close the door and watch from inside the room if it's too hot.

~~Amy~~ Lexi Baby
~~Jeff~~ Mickey
WDW/WWoHP June 2010 WDW POP Sept. 2010 DL Oct. 2010 WWoHP July 2011 DLR 24hours Leap Day 2012 WWOHP and WDW Platinum Trip July 2012 DLR annual passholder Sept. 2013-2014, April 2014-2015 WDW and WWoHP May 2013 WDW anniversary March 2014 WWOHP DA July 2014 DLR/WDW Wedding/Disneymoon Oct. 2014

Long Term Goal is to stay at all Disney Hotels...so far I've been to.....
All Star Movies-1, All Star Music-1, Pop-1, Coronado Springs-1, Animal Kingdom Lodge -2, Disneyland Hotel-1, Paradise Pier-3
hpfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: