Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Miami Beach is gorgeous. If you want to stay at the panhandle, Pensacola may have better flight options and is probably as nice or nicer of a beach as Panama City, although they are almost identical, depending on what time of year you go and whether or not you miss the seaweed. Seaweed seems to be worse in PCB than the other panhandle beaches. I would recommend if you do go to Pensacola, to go left to Perdido Key, stay at Eden Condos, very nice spot.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

Jacksonville is super close to St Augustine. I would definitely go for that! It's an awesome area!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmily1 View Post
Jacksonville is super close to St Augustine. I would definitely go for that! It's an awesome area!
Not real fond of the Atlantic side of Florida especially that north. Miami and south of Miami would be the only Atlantic beaches I would consider. The atlantic water is rough and not as carribbean quality as the gulf side is in my opinion.
2009 Mariott Cypress Harbor
2012 AKL Villas
All thanks to my BFF!!!!!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
TheAviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
Not real fond of the Atlantic side of Florida especially that north. Miami and south of Miami would be the only Atlantic beaches I would consider. The atlantic water is rough and not as carribbean quality as the gulf side is in my opinion.
I totally agree, however, although the St. Augustine area is not good for beaches IMO it is great to just stop and spend some time, very cool historical things there, like an old pirate town
Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

What about the Keys? How far from Miami? Any beach resorts there??
2012 AKL Villas

Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
Miami Beach is gorgeous. If you want to stay at the panhandle, Pensacola may have better flight options and is probably as nice or nicer of a beach as Panama City, although they are almost identical, depending on what time of year you go and whether or not you miss the seaweed. Seaweed seems to be worse in PCB than the other panhandle beaches. I would recommend if you do go to Pensacola, to go left to Perdido Key, stay at Eden Condos, very nice spot.
I am looking for August.....is the seaweed bad then? I did read some stuff about the water being slimy and green at times at PCB.
2012 AKL Villas

Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Quote:
Believe me I checked out all airports surrounding me (BOS, JFK,LGA). None go straight to Panama City (ECP). I have the option of Jacksonville but that is 4 hours away from what google tells me. Not fun in the car that long with my boys. lol I have considered Ft Lauderdale, Orlando or even Tampa.
I feel for you. We went to Destin last October, and had to drive from Philly to Baltimore, just to get a direct flight (I can't do stop-overs either). I really wish there were more flight options for that area of Florida.

Destin was beautiful, and well-worth the extra driving.
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
TheAviator

Quote:
I am looking for August.....is the seaweed bad then? I did read some stuff about the water being slimy and green at times at PCB.
It can be depending on if the weed has come in, peeps that live there can tell you when its safe, late august may be ok
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Sarasota Beaches

I have been to many beaches in Florida and, handsdown IMHO, the Sarasota beaches are the Best!!! You have Lido, Longboat, Siesta Key etc. There is so much to do in that area. Mote Aquarium is there, the Lowry Zoo in Tampa. Busch Gardens is about 45 minutes away. Jet BLue has a direct flight from Boston to Sarasota (SRQ). Sarasota is a super easy airport (similar to Providence).

Good luck with your decision.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
TheAviator

Just another opinion, but I personally think the tampa bay beaches are by far the worst. I would rather go to Charleston South Carolina than the tampa area, after you get further south, they start to get nicer again, but last I stayed at Treasure Island outside tampa, horrible. Very merky ugly/dirty looking water, I didn't even want to swim in it.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
ATLJR
Earning My Ears

Jupiter/West Palm

Fly into Palm Beach...

Very tropical, typically very clear water, and unbelievable snorkeling (you dont get that in the Panhandle). Better restaurant choices than PCB, short drive to everglades for airboat ride.Not as congested with vacationers everywhere you go.

You wont find this in the panhandle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oHffKlKfdw
ATLJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I have been to many beaches in Florida and, handsdown IMHO, the Sarasota beaches are the Best!!! You have Lido, Longboat, Siesta Key etc. There is so much to do in that area. Mote Aquarium is there, the Lowry Zoo in Tampa. Busch Gardens is about 45 minutes away. Jet BLue has a direct flight from Boston to Sarasota (SRQ). Sarasota is a super easy airport (similar to Providence).

Good luck with your decision.
Any beach resorts on the beaches there? I am very interested in this area. Looking for a suite on the beach with activities for the kids too. Want a commercialized beach with tiki huts, restaurants, etc. Anything in that area?
2012 AKL Villas

Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #28
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator
Just another opinion, but I personally think the tampa bay beaches are by far the worst. I would rather go to Charleston South Carolina than the tampa area, after you get further south, they start to get nicer again, but last I stayed at Treasure Island outside tampa, horrible. Very merky ugly/dirty looking water, I didn't even want to swim in it.
Being from the area I agree. I love them still... But they are not the nicest Gulf beaches. Once you get down to the Sarasota area they start to get nicer.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

I understand that Siesta Key is supposed to be almost as pretty as the Destin area.

OP, you are right, depending on the time of year, there can be sargassum (small brown tumbleweed like seaweed) and what they call JuneGrass (the slimy almost see-thru green stuff). this usually comes-in early June. Our last visit to Destin, it started coming in early, along with an early heat wave, in late May. Not sure about August... But I do know that occasionally it can still be there late summer into Sept????

Here is a photo of how incredibly gorgeous Destin beaches can be under ideal conditions. And, the Dining, Shopping, Activities, etc... there can't be beat.

http://destinbeach2011.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #30
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
Are you including the sarasota beaches??
2012 AKL Villas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: