Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Florida Beach Vacations

Seems like Panama City Beach is the best choice for family beach vacations but we cannot get a direct flight there. I really only can handle 1 take-off and landing. Is there any other beaches in Florida that would have lots to do for a family? We have 2 boys ages 10 & 12.
2009 Mariott Cypress Harbor
2012 AKL Villas
All thanks to my BFF!!!!!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Lots of other choices, unfortunately most of my experience is at PCB. If you do wind up there, we really like the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort.
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

You could head east to Cocoa Beach. The beaches are beautiful and there's lots to do that your boys might like. Cape Canveral is in the area and you could tour the museum there. Ron Jon Surf shop is there and they do offer surfing lessons. I also just read recently that the Brevard Zoo offers zip lining and it's right in the area too. The drive from Orlando is about 45 min-an hour if you take 528. Have fun!!
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Promomx2
DIS Veteran

I second Cocoa Beach. We stayed in Port Canaveral (5 minutes from Cocoa Beach) and it was fun watching the cruise ships come and go. We took a fishing trip one day, toured a airplane museum and ds loved the surfing lesson. They also have a week-long surf camp. We stayed there when we went to the nascar race in daytona beach. It's a little drive, but not too bad, so that might be a nice day trip for the boys. We rented a condo and it was sooo nice.
Promomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Beachbumpirates
Mouseketeer

What about St Pete Beach on the Gulf coast? You can fly in to Tampa - lots of nonstops and there is lots of stuff to do. We like Tradewinds Island Grand Resort. It is family friendly and perfect for young boys - even has a resident pirate! Very kitchy old Florida in our opinion and plenty to keep the boys entertained!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumpirates View Post
What about St Pete Beach on the Gulf coast? You can fly in to Tampa - lots of nonstops and there is lots of stuff to do. We like Tradewinds Island Grand Resort. It is family friendly and perfect for young boys - even has a resident pirate! Very kitchy old Florida in our opinion and plenty to keep the boys entertained!
This beach would be pretty close for a day trip to Busch Gardens. We had a really good time there.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

The beaches on the gulf side by Tampa are awesome from Longboat Key to Clearwater Beach.

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Our favorite beach is Destin, Florida (and Fort Walton is also nice, but not as touristy). It's wonderful white sand along the Gulf Coast like Panama City, but not as overrun with tourists and high rises. However, there are still plenty of fun activities - there is a waterpark (Big Kahuna's), adventure park with go-cart racing, mini golf, and more (The Track), and a great shopping center, as well as a wonderful outlet mall. And of course, beach and water activities are plentiful - many parasailing companies, jet ski and boat rentals, kayak rentals, water trampolines, etc. There are also so many good restaurants to choose from, whether you like touristy eateries (like Bubba Gump's, Fudpucker's, and The Back Porch) or good local diners.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
JoeyC
Earning My Ears

Clearwater Beach is just west of Tampa on the Gulf of Mexico. Its about a thirty minute drive from Tampa International Airport. The beach has everything you need for your children. The beach is amazing with it's white powder sand and clear waters. There is a Pirate Ship Cruise, fishing cruises, and a miniature golf course if they need a break from the beach. There are shops, plenty of restaurants right on the beach, hotels on the beach and all have pools for a nice swim. Pier 60 has free outdoor movies on the weekend that are kid friendly, what's better than watching a movie outdoors on the beach at night?

Resources:
www.clearwater-beach-vacation.com
JoeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

Clearwater is a great area with lots to do. Others would be Daytona, Fort Meyers, Destin, West Palm Beach, or Fort Lauderdale. My favorite with children would be St Augustine. It is educational and fun with loads to do!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Spent a day at Clearwater Beach last year while down for Phillies Spring Training & loved it!

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Clearwater was my go-to beach growing up in Florida! I love it, and all the beaches around it.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Love those gorgeous beaches on the Panhandle!!!! (Destin area)

Where would the nearest more major non-stop airport be?
It might be worth considering driving that last leg... You'll be renting a car anyhow, right.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
shortbun
Peacenik

Tell us, where are your direct flight options?

Ft. Myers, Daytona, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Talahassee...do tell. There's always the option of renting a car and driving from another airport. It's fun to see what there is to see! OR, you could drive to another airport at home for a direct flight. Get creative!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Tell us, where are your direct flight options?

Ft. Myers, Daytona, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Talahassee...do tell. There's always the option of renting a car and driving from another airport. It's fun to see what there is to see! OR, you could drive to another airport at home for a direct flight. Get creative!
Believe me I checked out all airports surrounding me (BOS, JFK,LGA). None go straight to Panama City (ECP). I have the option of Jacksonville but that is 4 hours away from what google tells me. Not fun in the car that long with my boys. lol I have considered Ft Lauderdale, Orlando or even Tampa.
2009 Mariott Cypress Harbor
2012 AKL Villas
All thanks to my BFF!!!!!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: