Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #31
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

My sister is joining me on the EBTA in May and she will be travelling with a then 4 month old and a 3 year old. We have an all day port excursion planned at one of the ports and I just booked my niece in the nursery at my sisters request for 8 hours. The three year will stay in the club. It is a historical tour and as my sister said, they will be much more happier in the climate controlled ship being entertained. My sister is a wonderful stay at home mom and I think she knows what is best and works for her kids.
When I cruised with my older sister's family, we left the three year old in the club while we did Rome with the 6 year old. She would have been bored on the train and would have cared less/ been clueless about what we saw and wouldn't remember the trip. She was much more happier in the club and loved telling us about her day over dinner.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #32
Jackiet123
Earning My Ears

We gave this a lot of thought on our last cruise and decided against it. Not so much as an emergency with your baby to consider as much as what if something happens to you off the boat, especially with private transfers, and you don't make it back in time. Does the boat leave without you with baby on board? Far out I know, but was our concern.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #33
Pwac
Mouseketeer

It sounds like to me that you are thoroughly exploring as many possibilities and outcomes as you can while keeping in mind that you know your child best and want her to have the best day she can have. Good for you.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #34
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella2396 View Post
Wow, that is a really tough decision. I have a monkey just like that and there is no way I would want to drag him, most likely reluctantly through Rome. I would say, play it by ear and see how she is in the nursery. If the tour you are doing is provided through DCL I bet if there was an emergency they would find a way to get you back to the ship ASAP. Might be a good question to ask them via email to ease your mind. I think you sound like a wonderful, concerned mother and I hope you have an amazing trip!
Thanks for the kind words. I think emailing ahead of times is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
My sister is joining me on the EBTA in May and she will be travelling with a then 4 month old and a 3 year old. We have an all day port excursion planned at one of the ports and I just booked my niece in the nursery at my sisters request for 8 hours. The three year will stay in the club. It is a historical tour and as my sister said, they will be much more happier in the climate controlled ship being entertained. My sister is a wonderful stay at home mom and I think she knows what is best and works for her kids.
When I cruised with my older sister's family, we left the three year old in the club while we did Rome with the 6 year old. She would have been bored on the train and would have cared less/ been clueless about what we saw and wouldn't remember the trip. She was much more happier in the club and loved telling us about her day over dinner.
Yes, part of me thinks that she would be alot happier in the Nursery with a bunch of toys. But it would be so hard and worrisome to leave her. I wonder if the Nursery allows calls in for me to check on her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiet123 View Post
We gave this a lot of thought on our last cruise and decided against it. Not so much as an emergency with your baby to consider as much as what if something happens to you off the boat, especially with private transfers, and you don't make it back in time. Does the boat leave without you with baby on board? Far out I know, but was our concern.
Yes! We thought about this too! Major concern actually, not far out at all. Rome traffic is notorious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwac View Post
It sounds like to me that you are thoroughly exploring as many possibilities and outcomes as you can while keeping in mind that you know your child best and want her to have the best day she can have. Good for you.
Thanks for the kind words. Truly. I shouldn't have let those other people get to me.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #35
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
We are considering leaving our 12 month old on the ship during an all day port excursion (Rome). We will have a UK cell phone number where the ship can reach us. We have also scheduled private transfers, so getting back early isn't a problem (knock on wood).

My husband is really really really against it, since the port is 1.5 hours away.

I am "more" for it, because I think it is easier on the baby and it's easier on us.

My mom thinks we should do it because it's not fair to the baby to have to go through our hectic Rome day schedule.

Has anyone left their baby in the Nursery all day on a port excursion? I remember reading some Alaska trip reports that mention this. What did you think? Pros? Cons? Regrets?

My baby is very sweet, but naughty. She needs constant supervision while playing b/c she's always climbing, and falling, and putting stuff into her mouth. Will it be safe? We've used the Nursery before for our older DD (she is not naughty at all), but only for 3 hours at most.
No, never done this and not something I or my DH would be comfortable doing.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #36
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This would be my concern and I would not enjoy the day worried about all the 'what ifs'. I really wouldn't be concerned about the baby on the ship at all, because it is like day care. But I never left my child in day care where I was 2 hours away, in a foreign country and not able to control getting to her immediately. THAT's what I wouldn't like, not over attentive CM's doting on my child.

Years ago I traveled from Alaska and my 8 year old nephew was with me. We weren't on a cruise ship but on the ferry. At one of the ports, I wanted to get off to buy a few things in the store and look around, but my nephew wanted to stay on board and play with a child he'd met. I really regretted it. I was so nervous that something would happen to ME while I was off the ship and I wouldn't be able to get back and he'd just sail away...

So I just wouldn't like it.

Nancy
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #37
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I have a 6 year old and I don't think I could leave him on the ship for several including the 'what if' reasons. If you have come to terms with all of it and your little one does well in all day daycare then I'd think it would be fine. Mine had been in all day daycare from 11 mos until 5 years old and he's always had a problem being in there all day. I recently had to pull him out of afterschool care and could only do that after changing jobs. Some kids do well in that situation and some don't. Babies do nap for 2-3 hours so that can really help if she's still a good napper by that point. It's really about what works well for each kid and family. If everything seems like it will be ok for you and her then I say go for it.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #38
3mmm
Mouseketeer

We have not done this, but I would. We did the first Med cruise in 2007. There were only 18 children registered in the nursery. One day I was chatting with them and there was a toddler there that they clearly adored. They told me her parents spent a whole day in Naples/Pompeii with her and everyone was miserable. She spent the next couple of long days with them (Rome and Florence) and everyone was happier.

We had family with us and that helped - we all did Rome and it was a long day! Someone stayed on board with my 3 and 5 year olds in Florence (we took the 6 mos old and the 7 and 8 year olds). In Marseille, we only took the 6 mos old.

The nursery staff told us that we could have left all three of our youngest with them all day - a 6 mos old, a just barely 3 year old who was actually registered in the club and my 5 year old with Down syndrome (she was smaller than my 3 year old and developmentally younger) They said the two older ones could stay with them because of the feeding/napping issues during a full day. Now this may have been because they had so few children that cruise.

No matter what you decide, someone here will be critical. Do what you feel is best and my only point in responding is to let you know it is absolutely okay and you have clearly thought it out and have a good plan in place to check out the nursery ahead of time.

Good luck. Have fun!!! and let us know how it goes

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #39
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

While I don't have experience leaving our DS 2 while we were out for an excursion he was there multiple times for between 2-4 hours each day of 8 night cruise. We actually reserved space every night for dinner. We don't have family near us so we rarely have dinner alone - like once every 5-6 months. Having dinner just me and DH was the best treat of the vacation.

The nursery staff was excellent. My DS loves Cars. Most of the girls were British and he kept saying "Holly Shiftwell" which was adorable. I brought him with a bag that had sippy cup, pull-ups (we are potty training), wipes. They said he did great with potty training. Dry the entire time and told them he had to go. They fed him and provided him juice/milk. He had yogurt for the first time and loved it. When we peaked in quite a few times he was watching TV. That was ok with me as long as he was happy - plus we always have the TV on at home. He did a few crafts - stickering, stamping, coloring. He played with the other children as well. I was a little nervous as he has never been to daycare but he loved it. Every day he asked when he could go to "kids club". He actually is still talking about it almost 3 weeks later.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they offer a great time to the kids. I never worried about my child. I always felt that they were safe and cared for with great love.

I will say that I too would be apprehensive about leaving him all day when I couldn't get there quickly and easily. But in the end I think I could do it knowing that they would be safe and have fun.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #40
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissySprng View Post
I know exactly what you mean, my 2yo is what I like to call "mischievous" which is being very polite, lol. Her pediatrician loved that description.
Mischievous is exactly the word we use for our 18 month old, Violet. My dad just calls her Hurricane Violet .

We have not done a full day in the nursery, but I can tell you that on our cruise two years ago when DS was 2, I wish more than anything that we had left him in the nursery while we went on our port adventure. It was miserable. He was uncomfortable and bored, and in turn that made us miserable. We spent the entire excursion trying to play with him or distract him in some way so that he didn't make EVERYONE on the excursion miserable too. It was easily the worst day of our vacation--a complete waste of money and certainly not quality family time together. I would not hesitate to leave either of my children in the clubs or nursery during a port adventure. I know my children and I know what their limitations are. Someone else's ideas about attachment parenting and family togetherness does not change the fact that we had a seriously crappy day that easily could have been enjoyable for all of us.

And it's absolutely true that drivers are crazy in Rome. However, if I'm going to get hit by a car, I would rather it was just me getting hit by a car with my children safe back on the ship, than me and my DD in the Ergo getting hit by a car. If something does happen to you, the ship is not going to leave you with your baby onboard. Arrangements will be made.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #41
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
The ship will be held only for those on DCL sponsored excursions. That is a big consideration. We were caught in terrible traffic in St Petersburg and the ship was held since our excursion was with DCL.

No guarantees if you make your own excursions plans as the port fees to hold up departure have huge fines to the cruise lines, and they cannot hold the ship for individuals on their own plans. It would be a fiasco if something unexpected such as traffic or a medical emergency were to occur.

So, if you are leaving a child on board, I would definitely only take a DCL excursion for all of those reasons. Save the other plans for when they are older, or when you cruise sans kiddos.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #42
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse View Post

And it's absolutely true that drivers are crazy in Rome. However, if I'm going to get hit by a car, I would rather it was just me getting hit by a car with my children safe back on the ship, than me and my DD in the Ergo getting hit by a car. If something does happen to you, the ship is not going to leave you with your baby onboard. Arrangements will be made.
you live in California and think Italian drivers are crazy?

We've driven in Rome and so has my 83 year old step father (several trips), it's not THAT bad. There's a lot of traffic, so it's easier and quicker to use the Metropolitana or walk. I don't fear being a car accident there, more than anywhere else.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #43
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse View Post
If something does happen to you, the ship is not going to leave you with your baby onboard. Arrangements will be made.
I swear to god, this actually has happened, though not on DCL to my knowledge. When we were planning our first cruise with DS, there was a news story about a single mom cruising with her 15 year old, who stayed on the ship in the kids' club, and mom missed the ship. It did leave without her. Mom caught up at the next port, but the 15 year old was on the ship. I'm not sure what arrangements DCL could make - they can't take a baby off the ship and leave it with port authorities. They won't just stay in port indefinitely if you're in the hospital or something.

I would not do it. One, there's a difference between the caregivers I've selected at my daycare and the strangers I (and my child) meet for the first time on a cruise. An entire day is a long time to be out of pocket while my child spends time with strangers. I don't have such brand loyalty or brand trust that I think that DCL means that caregivers are perfect or that my child would have a great time.

Two, the risk of being separated, of having something bad happen to one of us would be too upsetting to allow me to enjoy the excursions.

I know you're already booked, but IMO it's better to save the port-activity-intensive cruises for when the little ones are older, and to aim for more relaxed-beachy cruises when they're young.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #44
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

We left our son one day when we did the Baltic and it was the perfect fit for us. He was done was his Grand Tour and more interested in air conditioning, nap time, and a nice changing table (did I mention I changed his diaper in a Russian bathroom a day or two before that while straddling the toilet with him laying across one arm-that made the airplane bathroom look spacious and hygienic).

I had worried about us being an hour away if something happened, but my husband pointed out that our daily commute was an hour away from daycare at home and I didn't spend every day frantic at home.

Plus I figured Disney deals with 2,000 guests a week half of them kids. They have to have 20 contingency plans to deal with anything that comes up. There are so many more senior managers there then at the daycare. If heaven forbid something did happen, that old be the best place if ever you could say that.

If it works, for you and your family, do it.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #45
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
you live in California and think Italian drivers are crazy?

We've driven in Rome and so has my 83 year old step father (several trips), it's not THAT bad. There's a lot of traffic, so it's easier and quicker to use the Metropolitana or walk. I don't fear being a car accident there, more than anywhere else.
Fair enough. I've only ever walked in Italy, it's crossing the roundabouts in Rome that freak me out.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: