Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
I did NOT notice anything out of the ordinary; no rashes from being left too long in a dirty diaper, not hungry or overly needy for me.
Thanks -- this addresses my major concerns.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
Is it 18 hours for a 7 night cruise?

We considered leaving our kids for 4-5 hours while we went on an excursion in Ketchikan (Deadliest Catch one). We found another one through DCL that sounds really similar with more nature stuff mixed in that the kids can go on, so we decided to go do that one. But, if when we book that one is full (which seems unlikely based on the review threads, not many people did it before) we will do the other one and leave them on board. My son has never met a stranger and he will be fine (well, fingers crossed) my daughter is more skiddish, but I think with her brother in there, she will be fine too. We do plan on using the nursery 1-2 hours most night at dinner as well. They will be almost 3 and 17 months when we sail.
yes, it should be 18 hours for a 7 night cruise. It was on the Wonder in 2011. And, this is really just to make sure everyone has the ability to book time. Once, the CM's are sure there is space you can book additional time in the nursery. We quickly found out that dinner for our 18 month old was better spent in the nursery for both us and her.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
jm106
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
IMO babies want to be where mom and dad are. I would put DS in an Ergo carrier and head on out with him.

But I don't feel that climbing, falling, and putting things into the mouth is "naughty". I call that "being 1". So I wouldn't even be considering the option at all. And in a back carry in the Ergo, it's hard for baby to do much of anything that *would* be naughty. Closest DS ever came was when he dumped cold water down my back when we were at Disneyland. And then I realized that it felt GOOD in the heat, and kept giving him more water to drink, hoping he would do it again.

I say, enjoy Rome as a family! And expect lots of attention; DH roamed around Rome and said that people pay LOTS of attentions to babies and little children.
well said. I think the best way for kids to learn how to handle a variety of situations is to be a part of them. At 1, they explore, its normal. I loved my baby wearing, great for all day events.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm106 View Post
I loved my baby wearing, great for all day events.
I completely agree. I wear my baby all the time. She refuses to sit in a stroller anyway. We're considering trying something different this time.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108
I completely agree. I wear my baby all the time. She refuses to sit in a stroller anyway. We're considering trying something different this time.
I think you are absolutely right to consider how your baby will feel being in the hot sun all day long with no significant stimulation. We are baby wearers as well and are booking DS into the nursery for one almost all-day excursion on the WBPC. It's through DCL, so we aren't taking a cell phone with us (Port Adventures will know how to reach us), and given our previous experience with the nursery while onboard with a toddler DD, I have NO qualms about my son being fed, happy, loved, and NOT overheating in a foreign country.

Sometimes people forget that attachment parenting is about doing the best thing for the child, and not our constructed image of what an ideal parent should be in every single situation without taking context into account. I'm sorry some are making you feel judged for considering all your options as a responsible, loving parent.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Have you thought about what you will do in the event of an emergency? I know it is unlikely but you stated you would be 1.5 hours away. I think only you can decide how comfortable you would be in that situation. Are you ok if you receive a call saying she has been upset and crying and knowing it will take you an hour or more to get back to her? You mentioned having private transfers, but what if something goes wrong? How will you feel if you can't get back to the boat? Unlikely, but something to really think about. Things happen that are out of our control all the time.

Also, I am not judging your parenting, no one can tell what type of parent someone is from a chat board. But I believe PP was just saying that a 12 month old exploring is just that, not necessarily "naughty". Babies can't be naughty. Some are more work to watch then others. I assume that is what you meant and I completely understand how that is. I had two of those...at the same time. I was tired of people saying "double trouble" every time they saw my twins but I think I was more annoyed because it was kind of true! Hope you have a nice trip, whatever you decide to do. Your comfort level is going to have to dictate this situation. (That and the nursery hours!)

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
I think you are absolutely right to consider how your baby will feel being in the hot sun all day long with no significant stimulation. We are baby wearers as well and are booking DS into the nursery for one almost all-day excursion on the WBPC. It's through DCL, so we aren't taking a cell phone with us (Port Adventures will know how to reach us), and given our previous experience with the nursery while onboard with a toddler DD, I have NO qualms about my son being fed, happy, loved, and NOT overheating in a foreign country.

Sometimes people forget that attachment parenting is about doing the best thing for the child, and not our constructed image of what an ideal parent should be in every single situation without taking context into account. I'm sorry some are making you feel judged for considering all your options as a responsible, loving parent.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your comments.

I was a little shocked at those two posters judging me so harshly. It's completely uncalled for, since they have no idea how my baby is like and her tolerance level for being bored. I wear her, but she doesn't love it. My older DD loved being in her Ergo, but my baby pushes out when she gets hot, she fusses b/c she can't see, she wants to be put down and crawl, etc.

We are going to 4 ports on the 7 day Med cruise. Rome is the ONLY port that I'd even consider this since there is so much outdoor walking involved in the sun, in June. Having been to Rome before, we already know that there is no shade at the Colosseum, and hardly any A/C at the Vatican.

For our La Spezia port, we're forgoing Florence and visiting Lucca instead for the grassy areas to play on and playgrounds, etc. We're trying to pick and choose options that make everyone happy.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Have you thought about what you will do in the event of an emergency? I know it is unlikely but you stated you would be 1.5 hours away. I think only you can decide how comfortable you would be in that situation. Are you ok if you receive a call saying she has been upset and crying and knowing it will take you an hour or more to get back to her? You mentioned having private transfers, but what if something goes wrong? How will you feel if you can't get back to the boat? Unlikely, but something to really think about. Things happen that are out of our control all the time.

Also, I am not judging your parenting, no one can tell what type of parent someone is from a chat board. But I believe PP was just saying that a 12 month old exploring is just that, not necessarily "naughty". Babies can't be naughty. Some are more work to watch then others. I assume that is what you meant and I completely understand how that is. I had two of those...at the same time. I was tired of people saying "double trouble" every time they saw my twins but I think I was more annoyed because it was kind of true! Hope you have a nice trip, whatever you decide to do. Your comfort level is going to have to dictate this situation. (That and the nursery hours!)
The emergency thing is one of our main concerns. iI think we're going to play it by ear for now and just see how she does the 1st two times she goes into the nursery. If she is already unhappy in there, I wouldn't even consider it.

And by naughty, I don't mean she's bad. She's active. I'm not sure why those other posters were so offended by the word. I say it affectionately. She is like wild monkey. She tries to leap off my bed. She tries to fall backwards while standing up. She finds the hidden kleenex boxes and tries to eat the paper. She thinks its hilarious I should go back and replace the word "naughty" with the word "monkey" because that's really what it is I am not sure the nursery CMs will be able to keep an eye on her ALL the time b/c that's what we do at home.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 03-07-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
The emergency thing is one of our main concerns. iI think we're going to play it by ear for now and just see how she does the 1st two times she goes into the nursery. If she is already unhappy in there, I wouldn't even consider it.

And by naughty, I don't mean she's bad. She's active. I'm not sure why those other posters were so offended by the word. I say it affectionately. She is like wild monkey She tries to leap off my bed. She tries to fall backwards while standing up. She thinks its hilarious I should go back and replace the word "naughty" with the word "monkey" because that's really what it is I am not sure the nursery CMs will be able to keep an eye on her ALL the time b/c that's what we do at home.
Yes! That is exactly what I thought you meant by it. I think it was just misinterpreted.

I have had a few of those monkeys. I get it.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Thank you so much! I appreciate your comments.

I was a little shocked at those two posters judging me so harshly. It's completely uncalled for, since they have no idea how my baby is like and her tolerance level for being bored. I wear her, but she doesn't love it. My older DD loved being in her Ergo, but my baby pushes out when she gets hot, she fusses b/c she can't see, she wants to be put down and crawl, etc.

We are going to 4 ports on the 7 day Med cruise. Rome is the ONLY port that I'd even consider this since there is so much outdoor walking involved in the sun, in June. Having been to Rome before, we already know that there is no shade at the Colosseum, and hardly any A/C at the Vatican.

For our La Spezia port, we're forgoing Florence and visiting Lucca instead for the grassy areas to play on and playgrounds, etc. We're trying to pick and choose options that make everyone happy.
Ignore them; anyone who can judge someone harshly is really insecure within themselves. There is nothing wrong with having your baby stay in a safe, secure environment like Disney provides. We all need to decide for ourselves what is right for their own children (as long as they are lovingly cared for).

I am so over the judgements other parents pass on each other. Perhaps it is because I have an age range that spans 10 years and I can see that if my oldest is any indication at 13 of the job I am doing (straight A's, on track to become an Eagle scout at 14) I am doing a great job parenting. And yes, I am the one who left his sister in the nursery while on a port excursion for 8 hours.

This thread should not be about passing judgements on each other. Answer the questions the original poster wanted answers for but don't flame insecurities and offer unsolicited advice about what makes a great parent.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
MissySprng
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108

And by naughty, I don't mean she's bad. She's active. I'm not sure why those other posters were so offended by the word. I say it affectionately. She is like wild monkey. She tries to leap off my bed. She tries to fall backwards while standing up. She finds the hidden kleenex boxes and tries to eat the paper. She thinks its hilarious I should go back and replace the word "naughty" with the word "monkey" because that's really what it is I am not sure the nursery CMs will be able to keep an eye on her ALL the time b/c that's what we do at home.
I know exactly what you mean, my 2yo is what I like to call "mischievous" which is being very polite, lol. Her pediatrician loved that description.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Have you thought about what you will do in the event of an emergency? I know it is unlikely but you stated you would be 1.5 hours away.
This would be a HUGE concern and I wouldn't do it.

OP, Rome isn't that hot in June. We spent almost a month in Europe with our 16 month old grandson, including Rome. He is a very active child and adapted very well. He's now 5 and loves "remembering" his trip to Europe (via photos).
Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #28
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
I am so over the judgements other parents pass on each other. Perhaps it is because I have an age range that spans 10 years and I can see that if my oldest is any indication at 13 of the job I am doing (straight A's, on track to become an Eagle scout at 14) I am doing a great job parenting. And yes, I am the one who left his sister in the nursery while on a port excursion for 8 hours.

This thread should not be about passing judgements on each other. Answer the questions the original poster wanted answers for but don't flame insecurities and offer unsolicited advice about what makes a great parent.
You are awesome, thanks.

FWIW, my oldest DD has special needs. We've been through 2 years of occupational therapy. I've been surrounded by supportive parents of special need kids and great teachers for so long that I have apparently forgotten what it's like in the "real" world -- the one where people judge you and your child based on their insecurities and assumptions.

Never thought a simple question on daycare experience would turn into a "I'm a better parent than you" contest.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #29
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
This would be a HUGE concern and I wouldn't do it.

OP, Rome isn't that hot in June. We spent almost a month in Europe with our 16 month old grandson, including Rome. He is a very active child and adapted very well. He's now 5 and loves "remembering" his trip to Europe (via photos).
Very helpful, thank you.

I think in addition to trying her out in the Nursery, I will ask the Nursery CMs about their comfort level with leaving her (based on their observation of her after 2 days) with us being that far away. Hopefully they will tell us the truth. If they're not comfortable, then it's not even an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissySprng View Post
I know exactly what you mean, my 2yo is what I like to call "mischievous" which is being very polite, lol. Her pediatrician loved that description.
Yes, "mischievous." Precocious, inventive, hilarious. She comes up with something dangerous, goofy and new everyday.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 03-07-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
bella2396
Cori Rose

Wow, that is a really tough decision. I have a monkey just like that and there is no way I would want to drag him, most likely reluctantly through Rome. I would say, play it by ear and see how she is in the nursery. If the tour you are doing is provided through DCL I bet if there was an emergency they would find a way to get you back to the ship ASAP. Might be a good question to ask them via email to ease your mind. I think you sound like a wonderful, concerned mother and I hope you have an amazing trip!
ASMovies 2010
ASMusic 2011
Counting down the days until our 1st Disney Cruise aboard the Fantasy on 8/31/13!!!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: