Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #31
dblaettl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai View Post
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread, but at what age do you think strollers is inappropriate then? I'm not a mother yet, so my question isn't as important, but when the time comes I don't want to be judged like these people : Too Big for Stroller.

Anyways, from personal experience, my parents took two strollers in for me and my brother when we were 4 and 2, as well as when we were 5 and 3.
This all really depends on the family. We strive to be very active and push our kids a lot physically, so at 4 we don't use a stroller anymore. Would I expect everyone to do the same? Absolutely not, because since we don't use a stroller and don't allow the stroller to be used for naps, we are limited to properties close enough to the entrance to allow for midtime naps. Trying to get a 4 year old to walk at a forced march all day long without a break is sheer madness for an average child.
dblaettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #32
MCBWHITE
Mouseketeer

Yes! citystrollerrentals.com will deliver a tandem to your hotel....totally easy and worth it! We used it (and the umbrella stroller we brought from home) for our 4, 3 and 1YO. It's a side by side and I didn't have any trouble at all maneuvering in crowded Halloween parks last fall. But, it's totally what you're comfortable with...I prefer side by side over the sit & stand Tandem we have at home.
MCBWHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #33
thespores
Earning My Ears

I second city stroller rentals!! Loved them! She was so great to work with! A very real person who aimed to please!
thespores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #34
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread, but at what age do you think strollers is inappropriate then? I'm not a mother yet, so my question isn't as important, but when the time comes I don't want to be judged like these people : Too Big for Stroller.

Anyways, from personal experience, my parents took two strollers in for me and my brother when we were 4 and 2, as well as when we were 5 and 3.
The general census is that the point of no return on a stroller is a child's 6th birthday. Age 5 is a bit of a gray area, but most don't have an issue with it. 4 and below is generally considered fine.

When I was still using a stroller for my 5 year old, her 7 year old sister would hop in whenever it wasn't occupied and I felt funny pushing around a child that age in a stroller (like someone would be taking our picture and we'd appear on that website); however, I generally did let her ride if her sister wasn't just because it would hurt her feelings if I pushed it around empty when she wanted to ride. I'm so glad to be stroller-less now!
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #35
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would like to say that in everyday life, Yes. 4 is too big for a stroller. BUT in Disneyland, no. No way. We are a very active family. We walk everyday to school (A one mile walk each way). We hike all summer. All 4 of my kids are involved in sports. My 5 year olds can easily walk 5 miles. What they can't do is walk from 7 am- 10pm non-stop! Maybe if we just had them we would take more breaks in the hotel room, or stop more on the benches to let them just rest but we have an 11 year old and a 9 year old who are "go-go-go". It isn't fair for them to be asked to stop and wait for their little brother and sister to catch up and it isn't fair for me to ask the twins to always keep up with their older siblings. So in my experience, a stroller is a necessity. We have a Peg Perego, so one sits, the other has a little boogie board on the back to stand. They take turns in it. Last year at WDW we did a lot of parking the stroller in one part of a land, walking around for the rides, then picking the stroller up and moving to another land. The most invaluable part, for us, at DL is the night time walk from the park back to the DLH. By then both are tired, cranky and ready for bed. The stroller prevents DH and I from having to carry both back. (Also, I love the basket under the stroller for all the junk we carry into the park.) This is just my opinion and I have no issues with those that disagree. However, I could not see forcing any little kid to keeping up pace with older ones. It is supposed to be a fun vacation for them too. I don't want it to be bootcamp!

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #36
tbgmom
Mouseketeer

Take the stroller! Our last trip was when ds#3 was 4y3m old, and we didn't even own a stroller any more because he NEVER used it at home. However, there was so much excitement, walking, and so little sleep at DLR he definitely needed it, and we rented one. It also helped keep track of him in the crowds because we were there between Christmas & New Years, so having him in the stroller meant I always knew where he was.

We also went to Sea World & Legoland. He didn't need the stroller at those parks, but I don't think we did quite as much walking there as we did at Disney.

I'd bring just an umbrella stroller for your older child so that if it turns out he doesn't really need it you aren't stuck with a double stroller, but you have it just in case.

We won't be getting him a stroller this trip - but he'll be 7.5. In my book that's old enough to walk. He survived last summer at the Calgary Stampede all day without a stroller!

Mom to 3 boys

Had an amazing 4 days at the DLR April 2013!

DL Oct 1982, WDW Dec 1993- Jan 94 (Christmas trip), DLR Dec 2009 (another Christmas trip), DLR April 2013
tbgmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai
what a disgusting website. They take literally a millisecond of a family's day and post pictures of children. Sick people.

We didn't even own a non-jogging stroller at home (and that was used for jogging excursions) until we got really into Disneyland and I didn't want to pay to rent. My touring style was not conducive to the normal touring style of a child (morning to night, move it move it!) AND my guy got a tendency for deep bone legaches from my side of the family. I take leg pain seriously but also toured like a madwoman. I think DH wanted a stroller too!

We used the nonjogger at Disney through our visit when he was...6? No probably 5, I can't recall 100% (no it was 5) but I remember one exhausted trudge back to our awful room at the grand where we wished the Volo wasnt left in the room that morning! We brought it with us to WDW for our first trip there when he was 6 and we never even unfolded it. Just like that he was done!

What an awful website that is.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #38
everwondering
Sorry, Cindy. Prince Charming is mine.

When my older kids were younger, I actually bought a Sit & Stand stroller used from one of those children's consignment stores. We used it a few times, but it was primarily purchased with our vacation to Disneyland in mind. It definitely was a must have. After our vacation, I listed it on craigslist and actually sold it for what I'd paid. So, basically, it was a no-cost rental.
everwondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #39
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Yes and even beyond 4. My DD strolled *only at Disney* till she was 8, not as often as she got older but at 4 she spent a lot of time in one. Their legs are little, I'm beat after a day and a 1/2.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #40
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

I have a 3 year old boy and a just turned 5 year old boy. We bring two strollers. They are too heavy to push in a double and I feel we get around better with two versus a double, but that's us. They are life savers. We generally jut park them in whatever area we are in and only use them when we move clear across the parks or when we park hop. I think they are most efficient at night, when everyone is tired and they are sleepy. At least I know my arms are happy they are in a stroller and not being carried. You walk and stand so much at the parks. I think it would be really hard for a 4 year old to be expected to do that without you carrying them a lot.
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #41
Purrkins
Mouseketeer

Heck, there are some days I wish I had a stroller myself after a day at Disneyland. Bring a stroller for him, worst case scenario you can throw your bags in it while walking around (but take them with you when you go on rides).
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #42
madmeg
Earning My Ears

definitely!

Definitely bring a stroller. My DD is turning 5 at the end of June. We usually stay around the Disney property...but it's still at least a good 10-15 min walk. By the time they reach the main gate, they are tired!

Last year we rented a stroller from City Stroller Rentals. Great service and clean stroller!
We'll be renting again from them this year.
madmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #43
Amommy21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post
He must have amazing stamina. We use a stroller and take breaks in the room. I can't imagine any of my kids walking all day at Disneyland at 2. I think if I tried it would look ugly.
I think it's just expectations. We expected DS to walk as we always did during other activities around town and he did. DS is very small for his age and was actually sick and had some weight growth issues... He still walked from open to 8pm that first trip and every one since. We do full days at his pace, not breaks back at hotel rooms because we want to be in the parks. We always have a leisurely lunch. Dh did try to put him on his shoulders a few times but DS has always been terrified of heights and wouldn't have it.

In the past I didn't think we are "commando". But since reading these boards have found that we are. The good thing is that we have never felt that way... Probably because we follow our sons needs.

There was a trip when he was 6-7 ish and we had been in the park for over 16 hours... As we walked out DS was so tired and dh picked him up and he just passed out cold. He was really to big to carry. We went to a the grand and took a cab to our hotel ( it was one time we had stayed off site). Even then there is no way I would have wanted a stroller to lug around those days.

Really we just pack a light backpack and get going. A good tip is to start walking with your kids daily. At the time DS was a toddler we would go on little hikes, walk to our neighborhood park, etc.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
mytymom79
Earning My Ears

I used citystroller as well in November and my little guy had just turned 6 in September.

It is alot easier to keep track of him and to go all day !!

Although, I did tell him when he is 7 and we return to WDW in February he will not be getting a stroller...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
SweetAlex
Mouseketeer

Last time we were there, my daughter was turning 4 the following week. I was SO glad we had it. Her little legs wouldn't last too long and plus, you need to carry extra stuff when they are still little so it was nice to have the storage at the bottom. We went out and bought one specifically for our trip. It was smaller but very sturdy with a basket. It was perfect. Plus, we didn't have to head back to the hotel for her to nap (which she still did at that point). She just slept in her stroller every afternoon.

We never regretted having it! I'm sad we won't technically need it this time actually...

SweetAlex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: