Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy for Disney View Post
Is it possible for a 12 year old to go in this movie room while the rest of the family rides? She is my youngest and I am comfortable with her being alone in a room while we go on a ride that lasts 5 minutes as long as I know she is in a place where she won't wander off. She is a big ol' chicken when it comes to rides. (Don't tell her I said that, she gets highly offended when I call her a chicken)
I don't see why not.My 8 yr old made the height requirements on both Forbidden Journey and The Mummy and didn't want to ride and they let her go into the Child swap room
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

not a problem for your 12 yo to stay in the child swap room.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The way they instructed us (and last year too) implied taking the non riding child through the queue (which in the case of Forbidden Journey can become a pain), and then be trapped in a room with just a movie, and full access for that non riding child to get a look at all the fun he/she is missing. All that invariably ended up, at least in our case, in tears.
I see your point here, I honestly am one of those that loves the UO swap over the WDW swap because I get to stay together and then don't have to worry about having to find the family after the ride is over. But I might change my tune this year when DD who is a big 3 at 40 inches can do some rides and not others.

the good thing is that we are staying onsite so if it does come a problem I can use the Express pass to just ride again and not worry about the swap option.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

The rides only last a few minutes. It isn't like anyone would be trapped in the swap room for very long.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Courtpaige
Earning My Ears

We just returned from UO/IoA and think the child swaps are heaven sent! We would ask before we queued for particularly lengthy lines if myself and my 2 year old could go to the child swap right then. There was always a way in without queuing and we were always allowed. I think MIB and Simpsons may have been the only ride we would have had to queue.

My particularly favorite child swap area was for the Despicable Me experience. We waited in the Dancing Room and my 2 year old got a lot of one on one attention from the minions and the cast members She loved it. The one downside was having "Boogie Fever" stuck in my head for so long because we spent so much time in there.
Courtpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I guess that it depends on the kid. Our son loved seeing the queues and the rides long before he was ready to actually ride them.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
kstinw19
DIS Veteran

I think UO's way of swapping is much better. It is actually the way that Disney used to do it.

It's much easier to wait for your family while they are on the ride for 5-10 minutes than have to wait outside, not knowing how long the line inside is.

I am excited about this news since we have a baby and and even bigger 11 yo baby!

1st Disney cruise! April '13,First holiday visit with kids Nov '12, Family reunion at WLV Jan '12, First visit as DVC members - May '11, Back to the World! - Apr '10, Back to Poly - Sept. 08 w/ kids, Boardwalk Villas - Jan 08 w/ kids, Poly - May 07 - surprising the kids, Beach Club - Sept 06, Off-site at Vistana w/ parents and kids Oct 05,
kstinw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
BamaPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekies722
Are you allowed a certain number of riders to ride with you, once the first adult rider has returned or would 2nd adult rider have to go alone?. I'd like to go on FJ, but I'm a scaredy cat, I'd like to go on with my returning two older ones so they can hear me scream like a banshee.
Yes, and this has been awesome. My kid's are 5, 8, and 10 and all five us got to stay together through the line, the husband would ride with the older two, then we swapped and I rode with them. The kids loved it....especially this morning when we rode forbidden journey! We were there for early entry and had waited for awhile even so. Getting to ride twice was worth getting up so early!
BamaPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
MelissathePooh
Disney Regular

We LOVE the swaps at UO/IOA. I hate having to wander around waiting at Disney - subject to weather, there may or may not be a place to sit and rest your feet, nothing to occupy the child that doesn't cost additional money, having to find your party when they are done with the ride (unless you just haven't moved which is brutal). Not to mention having to wait while your party moves through the line - even with fast pass you never really know how long it will take. I am over it.

Being able to stay together and only having to wait the actual duration of the ride itself is so much better. My kids love Universal where they can just chill for a few minutes.

While Eeyore frets and Piglet hesitates and Rabbit calculates and Owl pontificates, Pooh just is.
MelissathePooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

I prefer the child swap at Disney. It isn't much fun for my 2 year old to wait while we do ride after ride that she can't do especially at US. She isn't tall enough for most of the rides there. We used Express Pass like the Disney Child Swap. One of us will ride a few rides while the other takes DD to do something she would enjoy like one of the playgrounds. We also do everything she can do as a family, but we take her back and do those things again instead of making her wait while we ride.

You can be stuck in the room for awhile. While only one adult is in there for a few min. the kid is there while both of you ride, which generally takes at least 20-30 min per attraction.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: