Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
cuchu2005
DIS Veteran

Just Back. Loved everything, except for child swap

Ok, we are mostly Disney People, and we dedicate two days of our vacations to Universal, one for IOA and one for UO.

We had a great time. Did everything we wanted and loved both parks.

We especially liked the way Universal manages Characters M&Gs which seem less formal that at WDW, and so much natural!

But the area where I see a big fail (or maybe it was just us and there's other way around it) is in Child Swap.

The way they instructed us (and last year too) implied taking the non riding child through the queue (which in the case of Forbidden Journey can become a pain), and then be trapped in a room with just a movie, and full access for that non riding child to get a look at all the fun he/she is missing. All that invariably ended up, at least in our case, in tears.

When younger DD was 2, there was no biggie, because she had no clue. But now, with 3 she realizes that the rest of the family is doing stuff she can't and she doesn't like one bit.

In WDW, with the rider switch pass, all she sees is a CM handing a ticket, but right after that we take her to do something fun, while the rest of the family rides.

Lucky for us, we had a pretty quiet day at UO, so we decided to do std by twice to give her the opportunity of doing something fun, instead. But some attractions (especially at IOA) did not allow that (ie: Forbidden Journey).

So, the big question, do any other swappers have this same problem or for those more experienced Universal experts is there a better way of doing it?

Thank you,

Mx
Jul 1994 - WDW with Mom and Dad and Sister - Feb 1999 - WDW with DW to be - Mar 2000 - WDW with DW to be - Apr 2002 - Disneyland Paris with DW on Honeymoon - Jan 2008 - Discovered the Dis - Feb 2008 - WDW with DW and first DD (2) and on my Bday. - May 2009 - WDW with DW and first DD (3) - Sep 2010 - WDW with DW and DD (4) and DD (9mths) - Feb 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (5) and DD (1) - Nov 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (6) and DD (1) - Feb 2012 - DLR with DW and DD (6) and DD (2) - Feb 2013 - WDW with DW and DD (7) and DD (3)
cuchu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Location: Originally Scotland, Now in Cleveland, NE England, UK

I have never used child swap as our son is 19.......not an issue. But we had friends stay at Universal over Christmas with their children for the first time.

They were used to Disney as they had been many times, but they said they preferred the Universal child swap it was better for them. Not sure why exactly as we didn`t elaborate much on that topic.

But glad you had such a lovely trip and enjoyed both parks
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

From what I've noticed, a lot of people like UO's child swap. It allows the family to stay together through the line (instead of being split up anywhere between a few minutes and a few hours), and kids get to see what's in the queues. I think it's especially important for Forbidden Journey... the castle walkthrough, in my opinion, is just as impressive as the actual ride. All you see of the ride is the loading platform (which I would think would be difficult for a child to see at all, considering there is a low wall separating the platform with the moving belt/ride). I'm sorry that it resulted in tears for your child, though. I think it would be wise to explain that it would be way too frightening for a little child, but it's something to look forward to.

In the case of Forbidden Journey, you might have taken her over to Flight of the Hippogriph (if she's 36 inches) while the other parent went in the Single Rider's Line.

I guess I was the only kid that sighed with relief when I didn't make the requirements for big rides!
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
cuchu2005
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkofSunshine View Post
From what I've noticed, a lot of people like UO's child swap. It allows the family to stay together through the line (instead of being split up anywhere between a few minutes and a few hours), and kids get to see what's in the queues. I think it's especially important for Forbidden Journey... the castle walkthrough, in my opinion, is just as impressive as the actual ride. All you see of the ride is the loading platform (which I would think would be difficult for a child to see at all, considering there is a low wall separating the platform with the moving belt/ride). I'm sorry that it resulted in tears for your child, though. I think it would be wise to explain that it would be way too frightening for a little child, but it's something to look forward to.

In the case of Forbidden Journey, you might have taken her over to Flight of the Hippogriph (if she's 36 inches) while the other parent went in the Single Rider's Line.

I guess I was the only kid that sighed with relief when I didn't make the requirements for big rides!
That would have been the solution, but DW went to FJ with Dd7, so single rider was not an option.

And the queue got her interested for a while, but when we got stuck, it was hard to keep her calm. More so thinking that her going through the queue was innecessary.

Something similar happened in Jurassic Park.

Well, maybe I'm too used to RSP at WDW.

Thanks for the responses!

Mx
Jul 1994 - WDW with Mom and Dad and Sister - Feb 1999 - WDW with DW to be - Mar 2000 - WDW with DW to be - Apr 2002 - Disneyland Paris with DW on Honeymoon - Jan 2008 - Discovered the Dis - Feb 2008 - WDW with DW and first DD (2) and on my Bday. - May 2009 - WDW with DW and first DD (3) - Sep 2010 - WDW with DW and DD (4) and DD (9mths) - Feb 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (5) and DD (1) - Nov 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (6) and DD (1) - Feb 2012 - DLR with DW and DD (6) and DD (2) - Feb 2013 - WDW with DW and DD (7) and DD (3)
cuchu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

We loved the child swap..We used it alot last visit .DD was 8yrs old though and enjoyed hanging out in the rooms and watching the movies.I thought it was better than Disneys system.At Disney, I hated walking around in the heat ( but nowhere far) and invariably spending more money to occupy DD while we waited for Dh so I could ride.We liked being able to chill out in the AC and watch tv at Universal.More often than not though, DD liked watching the rides load/unload.She likes to people watch..But different strokes for different folks
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

See I hate swap at Disney. The family is split and the watcher now has to go DO something, they can't relax. Since we are only 3 people, having the family split means one of us is alone. And while we choose to do alone things often, being forced into alone time isn't always awesome.

Alas we got to universal too late. The rides he could not do either could not be done by any of us (or would not), and FJ was not going to be entered even to see the castle because it spooked him too much. Everything else he went on. No switching with seats and movie playing for me! And now he goes on everything but Mummy, which is still too creepy for him.

For future trips, assuming the overall height req for the ride is met, kids can ride alone after 48". So single rider is an option for future trips, in case you didn't know that. If everyone is brave enough of course. My 8 yr old isn't there for FJ yet, but soon I'm sure. He rides alone on some other rides there and at Disney.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
peekies722
Mouseketeer

Rider swap plus guests?

Are you allowed a certain number of riders to ride with you, once the first adult rider has returned or would 2nd adult rider have to go alone?. I'd like to go on FJ, but I'm a scaredy cat, I'd like to go on with my returning two older ones so they can hear me scream like a banshee.
peekies722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekies722 View Post
Are you allowed a certain number of riders to ride with you, once the first adult rider has returned or would 2nd adult rider have to go alone?. I'd like to go on FJ, but I'm a scaredy cat, I'd like to go on with my returning two older ones so they can hear me scream like a banshee.
Yup,they can ride again.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
peekies722
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the response, Damo
peekies722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i have heard and read of many people complaining about the child swap at disney before.
this is the first time i have read of any complaints about UO's child swap program.

keeping the family together until riding time is great.
having a set apart room with a movie running for those that wait is wonderful.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

The first time we did child swap was at Universal/IOA and we actually preferred that to the Disney way (which we did for the first time a few days later).

Do Universal rides tend to load/unload at the same place? My recollection is yes, but it has been years since I was there last. That may be a factor in the different approaches to this.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
The first time we did child swap was at Universal/IOA and we actually preferred that to the Disney way (which we did for the first time a few days later).

Do Universal rides tend to load/unload at the same place? My recollection is yes, but it has been years since I was there last. That may be a factor in the different approaches to this.
They load and unload in close proximity.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
DorianDonP
Mouseketeer

Don't have a child but everything I've read about UO's child swap has been positive and preferred over Disney. This is the first negative experience I've read about.

I'm pretty sure if I was a kid, and I got to see the loading of a fun ride, but I had to go watch a movie, I'd prolly be upset too lol. So I def can see how a kid would be upset about it.
DorianDonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP View Post

I'm pretty sure if I was a kid, and I got to see the loading of a fun ride, but I had to go watch a movie, I'd prolly be upset too lol. So I def can see how a kid would be upset about it.
Well with FJ you split off before boarding, at the Sorting Hat, so I don't think they get to see that.

MIB they probably get to see, from afar, the seating, and then they can look out the window over at people being seated and offloaded (or at least offloaded) but it's not like they are being walked right past it.

Those are the only ones I've noticed.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

While on the subject

Is it possible for a 12 year old to go in this movie room while the rest of the family rides? She is my youngest and I am comfortable with her being alone in a room while we go on a ride that lasts 5 minutes as long as I know she is in a place where she won't wander off. She is a big ol' chicken when it comes to rides. (Don't tell her I said that, she gets highly offended when I call her a chicken)

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Nancy for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: