Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #31
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

So...my take on this is that there really is a LOT riding on the ratings---and this is their career. I think they just want us to know how important those ratings are to their livelihoods. It's not just fun little survey to them. Begging for unfair ratings, not cool---but letting us know that the difference between good and excellent makes a huge difference to them is valuable to know if one is just checking off boxes rather quickly with a "there's always room for improvement" mentality. True--in everything this is the case---but unless there was a true issue, I think they just want us to know that card might not be the best place to note this.
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
DH6230
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahuffy View Post
Since when did they start doing this??? You used to have the "Option" to prepay the tips or not.
We went on a cruise in February 2012 and the tips weren't automatic. When went on a cruise in February 2013 and it was automatic on your room charges. So I would say just in the last year.
DH6230 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #33
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

They started this on the Magic last year with the Med cruises. It was due to tipping not being part of the European culture since the servers get paid a regular wage. I had been told by a couple servers we have known for years they went to the Med not expecting as much in tips because of previous experience there on DCL. After the Magic returned to PC, this was done on all the ships. You can go to GS to have the tips removed if you want to adjust them or tip with cash.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #34
tryin
Mouseketeer

We got the "excellent" speech several times during our 8 night. I never saw the comment card though. Where was it?
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #35
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
They started this on the Magic last year with the Med cruises. It was due to tipping not being part of the European culture since the servers get paid a regular wage. I had been told by a couple servers we have known for years they went to the Med not expecting as much in tips because of previous experience there on DCL. After the Magic returned to PC, this was done on all the ships. You can go to GS to have the tips removed if you want to adjust them or tip with cash.
Thank you for the explanation Lisa.
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #36
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

I work for a company that puts a great deal of importance on survey ratings.....and to put it mildly if my rating is not a 10 is might as well be a 1. Anything less than a 10 (or excellent) is unacceptable in my employers view. So I more than others might understand the speech. One has to remember that it is human nature to right what as WRONG and not was has Fabulous about an experience :-)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #37
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

As I stated earlier, I am not a fan of the "excellent" speech, but I am going to defend it here a little bit.

I am going to assume (yep, its a problem) that the shorter the cruise, the more you get the "excellent" speech because they are "reinforcing" to you that they are there to help make your cruise excellent - and if they do that for the first 3 nights, well on the Dream that's every night or 3 out of 4. On a 5 night cruise that's 3 out of 5 nights - still over half of the time. On a 7 night cruise its a little under half the time. I expect that on our upcoming 14 night cruise we will be asked / told about the excellence on the first 3 nights then again at the end of the cruise which will be only 4 out of 14 nights or about 25% of the time and it won't seem like a constant pounding of the issue.

Hopefully our servers are reasonable. On our 11 prior cruises most of the serving team members have been terrific, but a few - not so much. The ones that don't speak up so we can hear them are the ones I have the most issues with.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #38
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Hello Everyone!

I can tell you this much, I am going on a first cruise with my daughter in July. And if I get a "excellence speech" I will notate it on the card and not give them an excellent rating.
Looks like you will not give them an excellent rating, because you will get the "speech" in some form. Too bad for them!
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #39
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Great comments and advice - thanks for sharing your experiences, and for letting me vent! If we ever decide to take another Disney cruise, I will definitely take the advice provided and "nip" the excellent speeches in the bud! Live and learn I guess!
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #40
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits

Looks like you will not give them an excellent rating, because you will get the "speech" in some form. Too bad for them!
Everyone needs to lighten up. Just let your team know that you know about them shooting for an excellent and in most cases they will let it drop and strive to do that.

On the other hand when they are soliciting your feedback they really want to know if they are doing everything they can to make your experience, dare I say excellent. Let them know what's is and isn't, give them a chance to hit that mark. Rather than do what we see here a lot and post a thread about how disappointed they were about something

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #41
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDisneyLover View Post
We were on the Fantasy Feb. 9-16, 2013 cruise. We had a great time. However, I just have to get this off my chest. Our dining room head server pressured us to no end for an excellent rating. We didn't catch on at first that he was pushing for excellent on the comment card you fill out at the end of your cruise, but after a few nights of the pressure I remembered reading on here that someone else had the same problem. This, along with not being able to understand hardly anything he or the assistant server said really put a damper on our dining experience. This was our third DCL cruise, and the service on our prior two Disney cruises was way better. Let me note that we are not hard to please people, nor are we demanding. But it got to the point that we almost dreaded dinner because he hounded us so bad. "How is everything? Good. Good not good enough!! We need excellent!!" We went and dined one night at Cabana's, and breathed a sigh of relief, no pressure - it was great! Great servers, no pressure, we could understand them, and we received BETTER service than we did from our main servers! They even did card tricks and things with our son, which he didn't get from our main servers. I also didn't mention that there were empty tables around us, and we only noticed our servers waiting on one other table (two families seated there). So, how did we fill our our comment card you ask?! Lol! DH felt sorry for the servers (our head server told us a story of how he lost his 10 y.o. son in a car accident, etc.), so of course gave them excellent, even though the service was not excellent. DH's comment was "he has a family to support". Yes, I know, nothing will get resolved unless people tell the truth and speak up. Anyway, the rest of the cruise was wonderful - and we had the best room host ever!
You should have just lowered their tip. That's what I would have done.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #42
txaggie94gigem
Cruisin' with Disney
Water is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
DCL is 100% at fault here for a dysfunctional system. The servers are penalized in different ways if they do not receive excellent ratings, so much so that the quality of their work environment depends on that rating. I feel so sorry for them, and I absolutely understand why they are compelled by this system to mention this to the guests.

Please don't anyone hold it against them - hold it against an employer (DCL) who is unreasonable in their demands and standards. I do not fault them for reminding me, gently, that they are held to unfair standards.

Shooting for perfection is a wonderful goal; punishing those who do not reach it is irrational and counterproductive.
A little off topic but I really feel their pain....I am a nurse at a hospital and our motto is "strive for five".... We are told that when patients fill out their surveys we get credit for a 5 but nothing else...kinda the same thing because "very good" isn't good enough! But we are human and not everyone is going to enjoy every aspect 100 percent of the time...now the government is using these surveys to determine how much reimbursement the hospitals will get of Medicare/Medicaid...if patient satisfaction scores rank your hospital at 85 percent you will only get 85 percent of the money you would have gotten a few years ago when there were no rankings....

But I digress....we. Have never gotten the excellent speech but I understand why some do...we are in the process of changing surveys and we have been told that our new key word is "always". And we are supposed to use that word a lot in our care so they will mark our care that way on surveys....
Disney Magic 8 day Bahamas April 26, 2013; Disney Magic Anniversary cruise Feb 5, 2013; WDW 2012; Universal 2011 (the shame!); Disney Dream Dec 2011; Disney Dream Maiden Voyage Jan 2011; WDW Dec 2010; WDW June 2010; WDW May 2009; Disney Magic May 2008 Panama Canal; Disney Magic May 12, 2007 1st Transatlantic Crossing to the Med; Disney Magic Nov 2006 Castaway Cay Double Dip; Disneyland June 2006; Disney Magic Oct 2005; Disney Wonder Nov 2004; WDW Nov 2004; WDW Jan 1993; WDW May 1988

txaggie94gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #43
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
This is great info for me to have. We are going on our first DCL cruise in a few weeks. I do have a special request, so I'll be sure to drop the "excellent" when I make the request the first night and hopefully won't have to hear it. To me, people who ask for a certain rating are doing so because they are attempting to compensate for their inadequacies they know they have. If you want me to give you an excellent rating, BE excellent. Let your SERVICE speak for you, not your lips.
This is not it AT ALL. I didn't understand how feedback ratings worked until I worked at a store that depended heavily on them. Our store's policy was 5 or 0. The guests could rate the store on a scale of 1-5, but corporate policy is that if the score is not a 5, it's the equivalent of a 0. That is, a "Very Good" was considered exactly the same as "Poor." So we could have a hundred 4 ratings and our store would be under the exact same probation as a store that had a hundred 1 ratings. This is VERY common policy. The "range" is given to make the guests feel like they have more control, but the policy itself is Excellent or nothing. We were also held individually accountable to the 5 or 0 standard. Get lots of 5's and you're good to go. Get lots of 0's and you're in big trouble, even if those 0's were actually 4's. We were also directed by management to strongly "encourage" guests to give us a 5 if they had a good experience.

Working in that environment really made me re-think the way I rate people. I don't know what DCL's policies are regarding guest ratings, but with the number of people who report feeling pressured for Excellent, I would guess that there are some very important conditions of employment that rely solely on Excellent ratings, not just that they are insecure or know they have some deficiencies to compensate for.

I have also come to believe that comment cards are extremely passive aggressive. There is of course no excuse for poor service, but I believe a cast member should be given the opportunity to make a situation right before being docked when it's too late. How are they supposed to know what they are doing wrong if nobody tells them? How are they supposed to improve if someone just checks a box and leaves a note like "the server was rude" or "the server had a bad attitude"? If you are getting less than excellent service, then tell your server what they can do to improve your experience, or tell guest services.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #44
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse

This is not it AT ALL. I didn't understand how feedback ratings worked until I worked at a store that depended heavily on them. Our store's policy was 5 or 0. The guests could rate the store on a scale of 1-5, but corporate policy is that if the score is not a 5, it's the equivalent of a 0. That is, a "Very Good" was considered exactly the same as "Poor." So we could have a hundred 4 ratings and our store would be under the exact same probation as a store that had a hundred 1 ratings. This is VERY common policy. The "range" is given to make the guests feel like they have more control, but the policy itself is Excellent or nothing. We were also held individually accountable to the 5 or 0 standard. Get lots of 5's and you're good to go. Get lots of 0's and you're in big trouble, even if those 0's were actually 4's. We were also directed by management to strongly "encourage" guests to give us a 5 if they had a good experience.

Working in that environment really made me re-think the way I rate people. I don't know what DCL's policies are regarding guest ratings, but with the number of people who report feeling pressured for Excellent, I would guess that there are some very important conditions of employment that rely solely on Excellent ratings, not just that they are insecure or know they have some deficiencies to compensate for.

I have also come to believe that comment cards are extremely passive aggressive. There is of course no excuse for poor service, but I believe a cast member should be given the opportunity to make a situation right before being docked when it's too late. How are they supposed to know what they are doing wrong if nobody tells them? How are they supposed to improve if someone just checks a box and leaves a note like "the server was rude" or "the server had a bad attitude"? If you are getting less than excellent service, then tell your server what they can do to improve your experience, or tell guest services.
Wow. I will remember that when rating.

And as to the up front honesty to allow a server to improve performance?? BRAVO. You are so correct!!
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #45
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
DCL is 100% at fault here for a dysfunctional system. The servers are penalized in different ways if they do not receive excellent ratings, so much so that the quality of their work environment depends on that rating. I feel so sorry for them, and I absolutely understand why they are compelled by this system to mention this to the guests.

Please don't anyone hold it against them - hold it against an employer (DCL) who is unreasonable in their demands and standards. I do not fault them for reminding me, gently, that they are held to unfair standards.

Shooting for perfection is a wonderful goal; punishing those who do not reach it is irrational and counterproductive.
No, not just DCL, every cruise line we have been on in the past 33 years has the servers under pressure to get excellent ratings. While these ship staff work crazy hours for poor pay by our standards, their are thousands of people who wait years for an opening. Working on a cruise ship is a high paying, highly sought after job for people from other nations such as Indonesia.
We do something similar to what others have posted. The first night we make it clear that we will tell the wait staff the second something is anything less than excellent, and they don't need to remind us. The only issue we ever had was on DCL, a drunk assistant server......and our server alerted the Head Server to the situation before we were even aware of it. The Head Server was our assistant server for the rest of that evening.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: