Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
They are now interpreting Festival of the Lion King on Tuesday and Saturday. Right now it seems to be the 2:30 show. The cast at FOLK was great. My grandson was picked to be in the show at the end. The interpreters were so excited for us. Normally the deaf are seated towards the back because they have a good sight line between the interpreters and the actual show. Since the CM don't know the reasons they probably assume that deaf should be seated there at all shows. This is something you need to email Maureen or Mark about. I can send you a private message with their email if you would like. While I don't know Maureen's background, Mark is a CODA and definitely understands deaf issues.
Btw they did not place the tall person in front of your daughter. It is open seating and you are directed to a section and from there you pick where to sit. So the tall person chose to sit in front of your child. I would have asked him to move or as you did moved to another seat. With my grandsons we made sure we were on the end of a row so there would not be a person in front of them. I am in the aisle because of my wheelchair and back toward the bleachers due to the interpreting.
When we had the issue with the CM at the FOTK that I mentioned earlier, we were not seated at the back. We were seated in I would say the fourth row of "reserved seating" that they hold back for guests with GAC's. The CM basically just glanced at the GAC and didn't bother reading what it said, had no idea what "assistance" she needed and herded us into the reserved seating area. I told him DD needed to sit in the front so she could have a clear view of the performers faces, because of her hearing loss (she does not sign, so being there during a interpreted show wouldn't have helped her). He refused to seat her up front. As you did, I put her as close to the end of the row as I could, because the rows are shorter right up front and I thought this would give her a clear view. Nope. That same clueless CM proceeded put an adult in a large power chair right in front of her. At that point I was once again on my feet and trying to explain to him what he just did. He just shrugged and said there was no where else to move DD, but that the floats are big and she'd still be able to see them. There was no point in talking to a manager right then, it wouldn't have made a difference, but I was definitely remiss in not speaking to someone after. I was so ticked off I just wanted to leave.

The year before we had no problem. DD was seated in the front row and really enjoyed the show. I was really taken aback when this occurred. It really put us off from attending the show again.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
seven dwarfs
DIS Veteran

I feel like we must have had the same CM help us because I could write your post! And yes, the cm did put the person in front of my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
When we had the issue with the CM at the FOTK that I mentioned earlier, we were not seated at the back. We were seated in I would say the fourth row of "reserved seating" that they hold back for guests with GAC's. The CM basically just glanced at the GAC and didn't bother reading what it said, had no idea what "assistance" she needed and herded us into the reserved seating area. I told him DD needed to sit in the front so she could have a clear view of the performers faces, because of her hearing loss (she does not sign, so being there during a interpreted show wouldn't have helped her). He refused to seat her up front. As you did, I put her as close to the end of the row as I could, because the rows are shorter right up front and I thought this would give her a clear view. Nope. That same clueless CM proceeded put an adult in a large power chair right in front of her. At that point I was once again on my feet and trying to explain to him what he just did. He just shrugged and said there was no where else to move DD, but that the floats are big and she'd still be able to see them. There was no point in talking to a manager right then, it wouldn't have made a difference, but I was definitely remiss in not speaking to someone after. I was so ticked off I just wanted to leave.

The year before we had no problem. DD was seated in the front row and really enjoyed the show. I was really taken aback when this occurred. It really put us off from attending the show again.
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

In regards to learning sign language For very simple signs I suggest baby signing times for you to learn you can then teach them to her. My very young son has a speech delay and we are trying to incorporate some signs to help,the Signing time DVD's have made it very easy for me to learn very simple signs.

Just be aware they are for baby so it is very babyish for lack of a better word but it is a great and easy basic introduction.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmommy View Post
In regards to learning sign language For very simple signs I suggest baby signing times for you to learn you can then teach them to her. My very young son has a speech delay and we are trying to incorporate some signs to help,the Signing time DVD's have made it very easy for me to learn very simple signs.

Just be aware they are for baby so it is very babyish for lack of a better word but it is a great and easy basic introduction.
I have to disagree with you on this. ASL is a language and learning just signs without learning the grammar is not a good idea. I have taught my grandson actual ASL signs and now at 3 he is picking up on the grammar just from seeing the language used by me and my friends both deaf and interpreters. Try to find someone from the deaf community to teach you sign language. Check for churches that have a deaf ministry, deaf services bureau, the school system and any place the deaf gather.
Also don't listen to any hearing person (medical or not) that tells you they will not gain speech if the use sign. This is not true at all. If a child is going to speak they will. Some will never use speech. Others will both sign and speak. I see the complete range in my friends and students I worked with (deaf, autistic and selective mute). Remember that the hearing community views deafness as something that needs fixing but the deaf community does not. Deaf can do pretty much anything but hear.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. ASL is a language and learning just signs without learning the grammar is not a good idea. I have taught my grandson actual ASL signs and now at 3 he is picking up on the grammar just from seeing the language used by me and my friends both deaf and interpreters. Try to find someone from the deaf community to teach you sign language. Check for churches that have a deaf ministry, deaf services bureau, the school system and any place the deaf gather.
Also don't listen to any hearing person (medical or not) that tells you they will not gain speech if the use sign. This is not true at all. If a child is going to speak they will. Some will never use speech. Others will both sign and speak. I see the complete range in my friends and students I worked with (deaf, autistic and selective mute). Remember that the hearing community views deafness as something that needs fixing but the deaf community does not. Deaf can do pretty much anything but hear.
Our DD's hearing loss is normally moderately-severe, and she does benefit from her aids. That is why the audio-verbal approach was taken with her (ie. she has some hearing, so teach her to use it). Also, we live in a small, rural town with no deaf community what so ever. The school for the deaf she was tied into has an outreach program for preschool children (her itinerant teacher also has a hearing loss).

That being said, DD's loss is currently profound in one of her ears because of a medical reason that has compounded things (she is having surgery next month to repair it). It is actually her (she's just turning 8) who has expressed a desire to learn to sign at this point. I think she just gets tired of having to be "on" all the time, trying to hear everything. She also finds it frustrating when people occasionally don't understand her speech.

Many years ago I took a sign language course purely out of interest (eons before becoming a mom! LOL) so I do agree with you that it is a language and as such should be taught properly. This is why, given our lack of local resources, I'm hoping to find a good online program, with video support so she and I (and hopefully DH and her sisters) can learn properly. We will probably never be fluent, but at least learn enough to help DD get a foundation.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: