Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Reflective/handheld captioning questions for 8yr old

Our youngest DD has a severe hearing loss. We have never bothered using the WDW assistive hearing devices since we've never read great reviews. However she will be 8 1/2 on our next trip and has become a good enough reader that we are considering getting the reflective and handheld captioning devices for her. Does anyone have any experience with a child this age with these devices? She has already been to WDW and is familiar with the attractions, etc, but she is also very aware of her "deafness" and is taking more and more of a proactive/mature approach to addressing her needs. I think she is at an age that she might be interested in trying some of this technology just to see if she gets more out of some of her favourite attractions. Are these devices very helpful for a child of this age or are they more of a distraction/hinderance?

Also, if you are planning on using the reflective captioning do you need to get a GAC or will the CM's at the various attractions accommodate you either way?

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

If she is a good reader, she will benefit from the captioning. Realize that - in Pirates as an example -- the more you have to read from the device, the more you will miss visually around you.

We used one several years ago. If I remember correctly, we had to leave a $50 deposit, which was returned upon returning the captioning device. (Might have been $100. Leaning more toward $50. Not sure.)

The device is on a neck strap, is slightly on the heavy side, and is annoying in the heat. You will probably end up carrying it for her.

The biggest plus was when we went through so many attractions that my daughter hd been on many times, but never heard the words to before. She "put it all together" much better - and understood everything better with the device.

Good luck to your daughter. She will love using the reflective captioning. It makes Disney make more sense.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Thanks for your input! That's what I was thinking, that she's getting old enough now that she might like the "full story" with some of the attractions. I think she's familiar enough with them now that she hopefully wouldn't miss too much of the visual by needing to look away for the reading.

1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

The deposit is now about $25 and fully refunded when returned. Also if your daughter uses sign amguage get the schedule for interpreting from guest services at any park or contact Disney to get it emailed to you. Interpreting at Magic Kingdom - Monday and Thursday
at Epcot - Tuesday and Friday, at Studios Wednesday and Sunday, and at Animal Kingdom
- Saturday. Also if you are going Hoop Dee Doo or Luau you can set up interpreting with 2 weeks notice.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Thanks for the info. DD doesn't use sign language, although I often wish she could!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

You can view the interpreters even if you don't know or are learning asl. My wife and I are just learning, and my wife can barely sign and has hearing loss, and found the interpreters helpful.

Does she read lips? If she does then sitting in the front of some shows may be helpful.

To other posters, does the captioning box actually work in WDW? My friend had it in DL with me and it worked for fantasmic and nothing else. It just did not turn on.

Are you thinking about teaching your DD sign? Is she interested in learning? My wife is 30 and is losing her hearing now, and she finds the addition of sign very helpful. She still can hear, though not well, and also reads lips.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Yes, DD reads lips very well. In the past we have obtained a GAC for her to sit in the front during shows (although we had a terrible encounter with a CM at FOTLK - he seemed to think the up front seating was only for those in wheel chairs and refused to let DD sit up front - by the time I convinced him to actually let me explain the situation he said it was too late, that the seats were already filled In retrospect I should have talked to a manager, but when there is a show about to begin a discussion with the manager probably wouldn't have happened - perhaps after to ensure the CM was better educated on special needs besides wheelchair seating)

I would love for DD to learn sign. She has a book and is very interested in it. When she was younger the strategy with the school for the deaf she was tied in with (although not attending) was to not teach her sign, in order to teach her to listen and speak (and not rely on sign). Now that she's older and her speach is well established, and her hearing is getting worse I think signing would be of a benefit. Unfortunately we live in a small rural community without a place where she could learn. I need to track down some sort of online program.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Pluto.AuD
Ears earned

It's great that she's proactive and using assistive devices. This should absolutely be encouraged Disney is very accommodating for Deaf or hard of hearing guests, so take advantage of what they have to offer.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...ired-services/

1989 – MK and EPCOT; 1994 – MK and EPCOT; 1998 – MK 8th grade field trip; 2002 – MK Grad Nite;
2003 – Epcot - UCF Lead Scholar program; 2003 – MK, Epcot, MGM, DAK; 2004 – MGM; 2005 - 50th Anniversary of Disneyland!– MK, MGM; 2007 - DTD - 1st trip to WDW with future DW;
2009 – MK, Epcot, HS, DAK, GF – Our Engagement ; 2013 - DL and DCA, Audiology Now! Conference
Pluto.AuD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

DD is becoming very proactive. Apparently she frequently tells her classmates when they are being too loud and hurting her ears! LOL I can imagine how well that goes over with a group of second graders!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Good luck to your daughter. Give her a hug from me!

The reflective captioning gave my daughter the lines -- "Dead men tell no tales" & "999 Happy Haunts - always room for one more" that we all take for granted. She had NEVER heard them. Now she pieces it together when she hears it. Even Carousel of Progress suddenly made more sense!

You will LOVE the reflective captioning device. Best wishes that its use will help her understand as much as it did for my daughter.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Thanks

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
GypsyPearl
Earning My Ears

Hopefully I'm not too late for this. My niece is in college right now studying to be a sign language interpretor so I ran your issue about learning sign language by her. She suggested you check out the Gallaudet University web site. The address is www dot Gallaudet dot edu. They also state on the web site that you can email them with general questions on children and deafness at infotogo @ gallaudet dot edu.

They could probably help direct you to online reasources targeted at children.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GypsyPearl; 03-12-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Additional clarity
GypsyPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyPearl View Post
Hopefully I'm not too late for this. My niece is in college right now studying to be a sign language interpretor so I ran your issue about learning sign language by her. She suggested you check out the Gallaudet University web site. The address is www dot Gallaudet dot edu. They also state on the web site that you can email them with general questions on children and deafness at infotogo @ gallaudet dot edu.

They could probably help direct you to online reasources targeted at children.

Hope this helps.
Sorry I've taken so long to reply - we've been away on spring break. Thank you so much for this information!! I'll definitely check out what they have. Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
seven dwarfs
DIS Veteran

My daughter has a resent issue with hearing loss. We did not realize how bad it was until we were at Disney. In our experience, we had some major issues. A lot of the staff had no clue how to direct us, miss information, etc. We found some of the options to be broken/ not working at rides, the one device that is suposed to talk (we used both devices, one that talked loud, and one with cc) only talked about shops and food. We were told in AK that it was meant to be a visual park and they do not even hand out the device since so many complained??? I think it is good for you to research and be prepared. We certianly learned a lot on our trip and hope to make it better for her on our next trip.

I have learned a lot on this board that did not match our experience and things I was told. I think asking for a manger is the right thing to do. It is very sad for me to see my child, whom loves Disney and has experienced it with her hearing, now not have that same experience.

The reflective device at most shows is the best. She could see the reflection and read and watch the show at the same time. We were given a book at some shows. Very hard to hold a flashlight, read the words and be able to 'watch the show'. Although I think we learned a lot of vocabulary that we missed before!

We had the same issue at the Lion King Show as you did. They wouldn't let her sit upfront. Placed a tall person infront of her so she couldn't see. Trying to findd someone with the book and flashlight was a big deal. Then, someone with a high powered flash on their camera blinded her so she had issues reading the book. The person with the camera took pictures every second. I am sure they could not relate to her issues and just wanted pictures. I moved to a different seat with her. I was so overwhelmed and felt so alone. A dancer there saw my daughter reading with the flashlight and I am sure saw my sad face. She knew sign language!!, (oh how I wish we knew it and it is not offered anywhere in our town either and we have a deaf industry facility!!!!) she came to my daughter and signed (and talked) to her. It was the first time my daughter smiled the whole trip! I lost it and just cried that real ugly cry. Just that simple gesture made our trip! Till this day I think about her. It has certainly made us more aware of others and their disabilities.

I think until you experience things first hand, sometimes it is hard to relate.

Good luck with your trip. I am glad we have this board in order to share and learn from each other so we can help our trips be more magical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Yes, DD reads lips very well. In the past we have obtained a GAC for her to sit in the front during shows (although we had a terrible encounter with a CM at FOTLK - he seemed to think the up front seating was only for those in wheel chairs and refused to let DD sit up front - by the time I convinced him to actually let me explain the situation he said it was too late, that the seats were already filled In retrospect I should have talked to a manager, but when there is a show about to begin a discussion with the manager probably wouldn't have happened - perhaps after to ensure the CM was better educated on special needs besides wheelchair seating)

I would love for DD to learn sign. She has a book and is very interested in it. When she was younger the strategy with the school for the deaf she was tied in with (although not attending) was to not teach her sign, in order to teach her to listen and speak (and not rely on sign). Now that she's older and her speach is well established, and her hearing is getting worse I think signing would be of a benefit. Unfortunately we live in a small rural community without a place where she could learn. I need to track down some sort of online program.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven dwarfs View Post
My daughter has a resent issue with hearing loss. We did not realize how bad it was until we were at Disney. In our experience, we had some major issues. A lot of the staff had no clue how to direct us, miss information, etc. We found some of the options to be broken/ not working at rides, the one device that is suposed to talk (we used both devices, one that talked loud, and one with cc) only talked about shops and food. We were told in AK that it was meant to be a visual park and they do not even hand out the device since so many complained??? I think it is good for you to research and be prepared. We certianly learned a lot on our trip and hope to make it better for her on our next trip.

I have learned a lot on this board that did not match our experience and things I was told. I think asking for a manger is the right thing to do. It is very sad for me to see my child, whom loves Disney and has experienced it with her hearing, now not have that same experience.

The reflective device at most shows is the best. She could see the reflection and read and watch the show at the same time. We were given a book at some shows. Very hard to hold a flashlight, read the words and be able to 'watch the show'. Although I think we learned a lot of vocabulary that we missed before!

We had the same issue at the Lion King Show as you did. They wouldn't let her sit upfront. Placed a tall person infront of her so she couldn't see. Trying to findd someone with the book and flashlight was a big deal. Then, someone with a high powered flash on their camera blinded her so she had issues reading the book. The person with the camera took pictures every second. I am sure they could not relate to her issues and just wanted pictures. I moved to a different seat with her. I was so overwhelmed and felt so alone. A dancer there saw my daughter reading with the flashlight and I am sure saw my sad face. She knew sign language!!, (oh how I wish we knew it and it is not offered anywhere in our town either and we have a deaf industry facility!!!!) she came to my daughter and signed (and talked) to her. It was the first time my daughter smiled the whole trip! I lost it and just cried that real ugly cry. Just that simple gesture made our trip! Till this day I think about her. It has certainly made us more aware of others and their disabilities.

I think until you experience things first hand, sometimes it is hard to relate.

Good luck with your trip. I am glad we have this board in order to share and learn from each other so we can help our trips be more magical!
They are now interpreting Festival of the Lion King on Tuesday and Saturday. Right now it seems to be the 2:30 show. The cast at FOLK was great. My grandson was picked to be in the show at the end. The interpreters were so excited for us. Normally the deaf are seated towards the back because they have a good sight line between the interpreters and the actual show. Since the CM don't know the reasons they probably assume that deaf should be seated there at all shows. This is something you need to email Maureen or Mark about. I can send you a private message with their email if you would like. While I don't know Maureen's background, Mark is a CODA and definitely understands deaf issues.
Btw they did not place the tall person in front of your daughter. It is open seating and you are directed to a section and from there you pick where to sit. So the tall person chose to sit in front of your child. I would have asked him to move or as you did moved to another seat. With my grandsons we made sure we were on the end of a row so there would not be a person in front of them. I am in the aisle because of my wheelchair and back toward the bleachers due to the interpreting.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: