Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
MNKelly
Mouseketeer

You know your children best and if you don't feel they can handle the self check in/out at Edge, by all means don't give them that option.

We felt our DS was responsible and alert enough so we had no problem letting him enroll at Edge. AFTER we figured out how it worked and he proved he could handle it once being on board for a day. The whole idea of independence in an area as big as a cruise ship is scary for any parent! We did hear however from at least 2 different sets of parents, they would never let their child do this at home, but they were comfortable giving them some freedom on the ship.

For us, we carried one of the wavephones with us at all times and left the other in the cabin. Anytime DS wanted to talk to us but didn't want to come to where we were, he would just go to the room and give us a call. (Our room was VERY close to Edge and only 2 floors midship from the Lab.)

Just remember, you know your child best. You are their parent. You make the decision.
MNKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
IrenicMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNKelly View Post
You know your children best and if you don't feel they can handle the self check in/out at Edge, by all means don't give them that option.

We felt our DS was responsible and alert enough so we had no problem letting him enroll at Edge. AFTER we figured out how it worked and he proved he could handle it once being on board for a day. The whole idea of independence in an area as big as a cruise ship is scary for any parent! We did hear however from at least 2 different sets of parents, they would never let their child do this at home, but they were comfortable giving them some freedom on the ship.

For us, we carried one of the wavephones with us at all times and left the other in the cabin. Anytime DS wanted to talk to us but didn't want to come to where we were, he would just go to the room and give us a call. (Our room was VERY close to Edge and only 2 floors midship from the Lab.)

Just remember, you know your child best. You are their parent. You make the decision.
My heart palpitations have 100% to do with me, and nothing to do with him. I have no doubt he can handle the freedom - I allow him quite a bit at home - but that's when he's surrounded by people I know

1979 - Ft. Wilderness * 1984, 1992 & 1998 - Offsite * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 & 2004 - Caribbean Beach * 2006 - Contemporary & Wilderness Lodge *
* 2007 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge * 2008 - Swan * 2009 - Dolphin * 2010 - PO Riverside * 2011 - Polynesian & Vero Beach * 2012 - Boardwalk *

DCL Sailed
Wonder 6/09, 10/10, 4/13 * Dream 4/12 * Fantasy 6/12
DCL Upcoming
Magic April 7, 2014 4-night Bahamas
Wonder June 9,2014 7-night Alaskan
IrenicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

The parents need to understand that once they are on Edge, there is ZERO supervision as they are able to come in/out of the area at their own will.

Further, many of the planned activities happen outside of the supervised area. You as the parent know your kid more than anyone and can decide if you'd leave your kid roam around the ship with kids potentially 3 years older, or by themselves.

I would have never allowed my DS12 to do this when he was 10.5. We weren't sure when he was 11.5 in fact, but opened up to it.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
4butlers
DIS Veteran

Our DD turned 11 the day before our last cruise and was so excited to be able to go to Edge. She loved it there (and still talks about it!). But, I think it really depends on your child. DD is outgoing and a little more mature for her age, so she felt very comfortable at Edge. And I know she would have been bored at Oceaneer's. Just make sure to go to the open houses on the first day and let him get a feel for both places.

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2014-DLR
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
MNKelly
Mouseketeer

Sorry, forgot to mention something else that made my DS feel a little more excited about cruising...

Before we even left for our voyage, I asked on our DISboard meet thread if anyone had a child around the same age my DS could e-mail prior to leaving. He met Dylan "electronically" and they e-mailed back and forth before ever leaving home. It was really nice to already "know" someone before stepping on the ship and made him really excited to meet his new friend in person!

Check you meet thread, put it out there and maybe they can have a friend before ever setting foot on board. Riley is still e-mailing his new friend even after the cruise.
MNKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
fatfish
DIS Veteran

DD11 was excited to get to go to the Edge on our recent cruise, but turned out she was bored by it. According to her, it was just a bunch of boys playing video games. We were staying on Deck 2, right down the hall from the Edge, so I was not too worried about her coming and going. She did have to call me when she was leaving though, so I would know she was on the move. I tried to get her to go back to the OL, but she wanted no part of it, even though some of her new friends were in there. It really just depends on the kid.
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
BookBabe
To infinity and beyond!

My DS will be 11.5 when we sail. Just because Disney allows him to leave without being signed out doesn't mean he will be doing that without calling me first to let me know where he is going. We will have guidelines and if he can't follow them, no more Edge. At home he is been doing well with added responsibility so I think he will be okay.

Last Trip: WDW January 2013
Next Trip: Disney Dream Cruise June 2013

BookBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

My 10.5 year old loved the lab, even though I was very afraid she would think it was too babyish. We also did what a PP mentioned and she emailed a few other girls her age from our cruise meets list. The girls became fast friends and none of them ever wanted to leave the lab! I was happy that none of them went up to Edge. As she is my oldest, I'm not ready for her to be hanging around older kids and freely roaming the ship quite yet. Plus, I liked that she was in the same area as our other dds, ages 4 and 8.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
flateacher
Mouseketeer

Leaving for Wonder in a few days...

and my DD11 will be in the Lab with her sister who is almost 5. Both in the same place is easier for me. Plus she has no idea that she can go to the Edge and check herself in and out...

She will be happy in the Lab. She does not mind "little kids" and sometimes likes to help watch over them. I think it is the big sister in her (or future teacher).

Plus, she may be 11 but she is only in 5th grade. There is NO need for her to be hanging out with 8th graders (who are 14) in the Edge. (I teach 8th grade and they know WAY more about some things than she does...)
flateacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #25
txaggie94gigem
Cruisin' with Disney
Water is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
IMO the 11 yos who were allowed to check out and were given the option to go to the Edge by their parents went to the Edge. Both of my kids couldn't wait until they could go to the Edge and not be around all the little kids in the club/lab. Nothing against little kids personally, and they were both little once, but at that age they would rather hang out with kids their own age -- not kids from 3 yo and up at times who weren't related to them.
I am not sure I like how they "dconstructed" the kids areas....I liked it better when the young ones were separated in the club and older ones in the lab....it is way too chaotic now....why did they change???
Disney Magic 8 day Bahamas April 26, 2013; Disney Magic Anniversary cruise Feb 5, 2013; WDW 2012; Universal 2011 (the shame!); Disney Dream Dec 2011; Disney Dream Maiden Voyage Jan 2011; WDW Dec 2010; WDW June 2010; WDW May 2009; Disney Magic May 2008 Panama Canal; Disney Magic May 12, 2007 1st Transatlantic Crossing to the Med; Disney Magic Nov 2006 Castaway Cay Double Dip; Disneyland June 2006; Disney Magic Oct 2005; Disney Wonder Nov 2004; WDW Nov 2004; WDW Jan 1993; WDW May 1988

txaggie94gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #26
IrenicMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie94gigem View Post
I am not sure I like how they "dconstructed" the kids areas....I liked it better when the young ones were separated in the club and older ones in the lab....it is way too chaotic now....why did they change???
See, and this is the thing my kids love the most - being able to move back and forth, easily, between the two. I don't have itty bitties, though. I imagine I might feel differently if mine were just 3 or 4.

But for my age group of kids - the flexibility is great.

1979 - Ft. Wilderness * 1984, 1992 & 1998 - Offsite * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 & 2004 - Caribbean Beach * 2006 - Contemporary & Wilderness Lodge *
* 2007 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge * 2008 - Swan * 2009 - Dolphin * 2010 - PO Riverside * 2011 - Polynesian & Vero Beach * 2012 - Boardwalk *

DCL Sailed
Wonder 6/09, 10/10, 4/13 * Dream 4/12 * Fantasy 6/12
DCL Upcoming
Magic April 7, 2014 4-night Bahamas
Wonder June 9,2014 7-night Alaskan
IrenicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie94gigem View Post
It's been years since the change happened. They mainly did it because too many people wanted their kid put in another age group to be with siblings. That pretty much messed up the age seperation so they just got rid of them. The addition of the open houses just makes it worse because the kids have no choice but to be in the one space that is secured while the other is having an open house. I talked to a CM on the Fantasy last year and asked what they do with the older kids in the club area during that time. She said that on the Fantasy they have more computers and things to interest them, but the plan was to make areas on the classics for the older kids in the club so they wouldn't be so bored. It seems that DCL -- or at least the CMs in the clubs -- are aware of the problems that result from the change in policy. It's a shame that something happened to make that big change in 2011.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #28
Mickey3Boys
Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenicMom

This is what I'm hoping my 10.5 yo will be able to do when we cruise on the Wonder in April. His little brother and sister (8 yo twins) will clearly not have a choice - and sometimes his sister does better if he's there. But, in my ideal world (which I fully understand is very unlikely to happen, but alas, a mom can dream) is that he'll go with her to the Oceaneers, get her situated/involved/happy and then feel free to go over to Edge if/when he wanted to do so.

Though, I won't lie. The whole thought of him with in/out privileges gives me a little bit of heart palpitations. But that's just me refusing to believe my "baby" (who is as tall as I am!!) is old enough for that!!
I'm right there with you! We sail in 2 weeks. Older brother will be 11 at end of May. Almost 8-yr-old twins will be in Oceaneers. Big brother may like a little, but I'm sure he'll say it's where all the babies are! LOL And just yesterday he told me he doesn't play with friends anymore, just hangs! OMG!!! Excuse me! Haha!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
wifey1220
DIS Veteran

My son 11 went to the edge and loved it. He also liked the program at castaway cay. Never wanted to go to kids club. But he did go to kids club at age 10 and enjoyed it.
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: