Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
FlowerMouse
1st time Disney cruiser

Where are all the 10/11 year olds?

Getting ready for our Wonder cruise. Was all prepared to put DS11 in Oceaneers. However, I keep reading posts of several people trying to put 10/11 year olds in the Edge. (DS13 is hating that.) Anyways, for those that have cruise, where do typically 10/11 year olds go? My DS11 can be happy anywhere but would like to be around kids his age.

So are those posting to get into the Edge - in the majority or do you think they are just a few exceptions?

Thanks,
FlowerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The Edge is for 11-14 yos, so your 11 yo can go there without any issues. It seems that 10 yos depend on the cruise and how many kids there are. My 12 & 14 yos also hope there aren't 10 yos in the Edge on our cruise this month. When DD was 10 1/2 she only could go to the lab, but ended up just staying in our room when we went to Palo brunch.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
dznystar
DIS Veteran

There was a thread about this a while back....and caused a bit of a debate. From what I understand, a lot of it is based on space available. Some say their kid was able to move between the two clubs, some say they had to stay in the OL, others say they were able to move them up. Some say their kids didn't want to do the clubs because there weren't others their age. We're going to experience this on our cruise in Nov with DS. There is no way to make EVERYONE happy. It would be great if there was. If your child goes up to the edge, then the 13 yo kids will be unhappy, if your child stays in OL/OC then they could be unhappy if there's no one else their age and they're in a room full of 3 year olds. You'll have to let us know what happens!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
FlowerMouse
1st time Disney cruiser

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I know my 11 your old has a choice between Edge and Oceaneer. That isn't the question.

I hoping past cruisers can answer - what do the majority of 11 years choose? Do you see them in the Lab or Edge more?
FlowerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

I have a 10 year old daughter and she loves the cleaners lab
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerMouse View Post
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I know my 11 your old has a choice between Edge and Oceaneer. That isn't the question.

I hoping past cruisers can answer - what do the majority of 11 years choose? Do you see them in the Lab or Edge more?
I think most do the Edge. Both of my cruises we had tablemates with 12 year olds and I don't think they even looked at the Club/lab - right to Edge, never to be seen again! In both cases they were boys, and in both cases they came to dinner at the insistance of their parents but would have spent 24 hours a day in the Edge if allowed to.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
MNKelly
Mouseketeer

We cruised on the Wonder last month and DS was 10. He was allowed to enroll in Edge and was also enrolled in the Lab. He spent his time going between both places as sometimes there were things going in in Edge that he wanted to do and other times, there were things going on in the lab he wanted to do. He made friends in both locations and didn't seem to irritate the older kids in Edge.

My DS also spent a LOT of time up on the sports deck. It was nice as he had met kids in both places so always had someone to play a pick-up game with on the sports deck.

I think you're older one will find he makes his own friends as well as your younger one and their paths really don't cross that much. Have a great trip and let us know how it goes when you get back!
MNKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Both!

It depends on the kids - if they are mature enough to go around the ship by themselves, then Edge is for them. Otherwise, stick to Lab. My DS12 last August (he was 11.5 then) started at Lab, but on the second day he wanted to try Edge and that was it, even though he's more comfortable with younger kids.

Same thing happens with Vibe. Many 13yr old end up in Vibe (after signing the consent form) again due to their maturity level (girls specially).

The good thing is that DCL has this flexibility - the idea is for your kid to be comfortable with the rest of the kids.
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Our DD11 chose Edge in Oct on Fantasy and had a blast.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:

IMO the 11 yos who were allowed to check out and were given the option to go to the Edge by their parents went to the Edge. Both of my kids couldn't wait until they could go to the Edge and not be around all the little kids in the club/lab. Nothing against little kids personally, and they were both little once, but at that age they would rather hang out with kids their own age -- not kids from 3 yo and up at times who weren't related to them.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
IrenicMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNKelly View Post
We cruised on the Wonder last month and DS was 10. He was allowed to enroll in Edge and was also enrolled in the Lab. He spent his time going between both places as sometimes there were things going in in Edge that he wanted to do and other times, there were things going on in the lab he wanted to do. He made friends in both locations and didn't seem to irritate the older kids in Edge.

My DS also spent a LOT of time up on the sports deck. It was nice as he had met kids in both places so always had someone to play a pick-up game with on the sports deck.

I think you're older one will find he makes his own friends as well as your younger one and their paths really don't cross that much. Have a great trip and let us know how it goes when you get back!

This is what I'm hoping my 10.5 yo will be able to do when we cruise on the Wonder in April. His little brother and sister (8 yo twins) will clearly not have a choice - and sometimes his sister does better if he's there. But, in my ideal world (which I fully understand is very unlikely to happen, but alas, a mom can dream) is that he'll go with her to the Oceaneers, get her situated/involved/happy and then feel free to go over to Edge if/when he wanted to do so.

Though, I won't lie. The whole thought of him with in/out privileges gives me a little bit of heart palpitations. But that's just me refusing to believe my "baby" (who is as tall as I am!!) is old enough for that!!

1979 - Ft. Wilderness * 1984, 1992 & 1998 - Offsite * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 & 2004 - Caribbean Beach * 2006 - Contemporary & Wilderness Lodge *
* 2007 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge * 2008 - Swan * 2009 - Dolphin * 2010 - PO Riverside * 2011 - Polynesian & Vero Beach * 2012 - Boardwalk *

DCL Sailed
Wonder 6/09, 10/10, 4/13 * Dream 4/12 * Fantasy 6/12
DCL Upcoming
Magic April 7, 2014 4-night Bahamas
Wonder June 9,2014 7-night Alaskan
IrenicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I plan on putting my just turned 11 year old at the OL. She would probably enjoy the Edge but this is our first time on the ship and I would like her to stay with her siblings. Her brother turns 10 on the ship and he will be in the OL anyway. I don't think it is a problem to ask her to spend the first time in the OL. On our next cruise to Alaska she will be 12 and her brother will be 11. Then they can both go to the Edge while the twins go back to the OL. It sounds kind of mean, but they both get along so well I doubt they will want to be separated anyway. Those two are thicker than thieves and tend to like to hang out together. Both like the option of knowing someone there and I like that the older two can keep an eye out for little brother and sister. I know it will help little sister be more comfortable going too which is a win for me. If big sister isn't there I think she will not want to go at all. I really think it depends on your child's personality and your family dynamics. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
momto2girls
DIS Veteran

My DD will be 10 on our next cruise. I'd be really surprised if they let her into the Edge, so I'm expecting that she just won't go to any club at all (she hates the Lab). But, next year, when she is 11, she will be really excited to go to the Edge! I would guess that most 11 year olds probably choose the Edge if given the choice.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
lovedmy1stcuise
Earning My Ears

We were on Wonder last week and my 11 year old went to Edge, but she said there were a few 10 year old there, one girl even turned 10 on the cruise. At port when I was getting bracelet for my 9.5 yr old they offered my daughter a bracelet as well, she said I don't need to I am going to Edge and she was told she can do both, she refused. On wonder they gave them regular bracelets to indicate they are in Edge, don't remember her getting any bracelets last year on Fantasy and last year she turned 11 the week before our cruise. My 9.5 liked the lab but not the club, he said if we go again next year he is going to the Edge.
lovedmy1stcuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenicMom View Post
This is what I'm hoping my 10.5 yo will be able to do when we cruise on the Wonder in April. His little brother and sister (8 yo twins) will clearly not have a choice - and sometimes his sister does better if he's there. But, in my ideal world (which I fully understand is very unlikely to happen, but alas, a mom can dream) is that he'll go with her to the Oceaneers, get her situated/involved/happy and then feel free to go over to Edge if/when he wanted to do so.

Though, I won't lie. The whole thought of him with in/out privileges gives me a little bit of heart palpitations. But that's just me refusing to believe my "baby" (who is as tall as I am!!) is old enough for that!!
We are in the same situation. We have a 7 yr old and a 10 yr old who will turn 11 on the cruise. I am sure he will want to try the Edge but I prefer having both boys in the same place. Not to mention those in/out privileges.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: