Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
DeanDoug
Mouseketeer

What is the value in a Disney vacation?

Hi, everyone.
This may seem like a basic question, but what is the value in a Disney vacation? We know that Disney vacations are costly- but we choose to spend the money anyway. So, why do we do it? What value/benefits do you get from going to Disney?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

That is a different answer for every Disney fan I know.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I would answer with a question,what is the value of ANY vacation? I personally spend my 'extra' money on trips,experiences, things that aren't necessarily what other people choose to spend on... Disney and otherwise- for us it's either experiencing something new and different,or experiencing something 'traditional' that we have all loved for many years (read: WDW) I place a lot of value on trips big and small- and spend my money accordingly,vs. in other ways.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

This will sound odd, but compared to a lot of other options, Disney is a relatively "cheap" vacation. That makes it an attractive option. Where else are you going to get a full day of high-quality entertainment for $60ish/day? We saw a show in Vegas last week and the tickets were twice that for a 90 minute performance.

It's also fairly "easy" as vacations go. Sure, you can research until your eyes go crossed, but really it's pretty easy to put yourself in Disney's hands from the moment you get off the plane. There's not much worry about "what are we going to do today?" at WDW.

Cheap & easy are a big part of the value for me!
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

I have a tendency to compare a WDW vacation to other vacations if you are asking about their value. If you are discussing value in a monetary way WDW vacations can be less expensive than other vacations due to discounts that can be found, staying offsite, no dining plan, etc.

As far as a "personal" type of value, I have had other vacations that I enjoy and are glad that I have taken, but aren't quite as much fun as WDW. I am lucky enough not to have to choose one vacation over the other, I can take more than one a year. If I did choose from one trip a year I would visit WDW every other year and see some of the rest of America on the other vacations.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
That is a different answer for every Disney fan I know.
So true.

For me and the way my family travels disney is not an inexpensive trip. I usually can get to Europe for the price I pay for a disney vacation but I totally realize this is because I choose to go deluxe. So when I compare disney to my other vacations disney usually comes up short. for example if I compare a disney deluxe to just about any other hotel at the same price point. Disney deluxes usually get blown out of the water. So I generally don't compare. same thing with dining. Yes I could probably eat on a shoe string at the world but for the meals we like they are generally 2 ts (no value there) signature dining.

I unfortunately am on the down side of my love affair as the cost is no longer giving me the same value. I'm lucky in that I have a dvc so we generally consider our disney trips simple weekend getaways not vacations.

I do still love the world to put it a nutshell, disney soothes my soul. It constantly reminds me of happy times. I love the attention to details in the parks.

Last edited by eliza61; 03-07-2013 at 09:43 AM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
I would answer with a question,what is the value of ANY vacation? I personally spend my 'extra' money on trips,experiences, things that aren't necessarily what other people choose to spend on... Disney and otherwise- for us it's either experiencing something new and different,or experiencing something 'traditional' that we have all loved for many years (read: WDW) I place a lot of value on trips big and small- and spend my money accordingly,vs. in other ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post
This will sound odd, but compared to a lot of other options, Disney is a relatively "cheap" vacation. That makes it an attractive option. Where else are you going to get a full day of high-quality entertainment for $60ish/day? We saw a show in Vegas last week and the tickets were twice that for a 90 minute performance.

It's also fairly "easy" as vacations go. Sure, you can research until your eyes go crossed, but really it's pretty easy to put yourself in Disney's hands from the moment you get off the plane. There's not much worry about "what are we going to do today?" at WDW.

Cheap & easy are a big part of the value for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
I have a tendency to compare a WDW vacation to other vacations if you are asking about their value. If you are discussing value in a monetary way WDW vacations can be less expensive than other vacations due to discounts that can be found, staying offsite, no dining plan, etc.

As far as a "personal" type of value, I have had other vacations that I enjoy and are glad that I have taken, but aren't quite as much fun as WDW. I am lucky enough not to have to choose one vacation over the other, I can take more than one a year. If I did choose from one trip a year I would visit WDW every other year and see some of the rest of America on the other vacations.
Yup. I pretty much price out a different vacation every year, and Disney almost always comes out cheaper. Sure, there are vacations that can cost less, but their inclusions are less substantial. For example, I could go and spend a week on the beach, but if I want to do anything other than sit on the beach while I'm there, I'll pay a premium for it.
One of the things I've been looking into lately is Mackinac Island in Michigan. Once I throw everything we'd want to do while we were there, it's easily as expensive as Disney, especially if we stay in one of the nicer hotels and much less convenient.

I'm going to an all-inclusive resort in Cancun with my Mom for her 50th birthday this summer, and for 4 adults the cost is right around $4000. Most of that is prepaid with a very restrictive cancellation policy. I could have probably planned Disney for less than that, but she wanted the beach. I spent hours sifting through various different deals, and I'm still not even sure that we got the best one, but I can't change it now.

Then there's the fact that I have a 2 year old right now. He hasn't been to Disney since he was 3 months old, and he's going to flip when we get there. It will be so convenient. If we went pretty much anywhere else, we might have to deal with driving ourselves to unfamiliar places for significant distances. At Disney, we can hop on the bus and play as a family until we get to the parks.
Our last vacation was a house rental on a beach in the Philippines. Since we lived in South Korea at the time, it was a very inexpensive vacation (less than $2000 for a week). However, getting there was an adventure. We wanted to be kind of off the beaten path. So we ended up with a 4 hour off-road drive out into the middle of nowhere with a 1 year old. We could have done a more popular area, but we would not have gotten the experience we wanted, and it would have been more expensive.

The value for me is how much I get for my money and the convenience. I can plan a Disney vacation in my sleep (my Disney dreams have already started for my next trip). Everything else requires a lot of research to find what I want, and even then I can't be sure of what I'm getting until I get there.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
ssawka
DIS Veteran

For me, the value is in seeing my DD's huge smile when she's in a place that she loves so much! I don't see as big a smile anywhere else. DD has special needs and at Disney she just gets to be a "normal" kid, even if it is just for a few days a year.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

for us, the value is happiness. we LOVE disney world, and going there makes us happy. planning is easy, we know where we want to stay, where we want to eat, and what we want to do, so there's no stress. we just go, and do what we want.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

For my family there really is a "magic" to it, everyone is very happy and relaxed there (both at the parks and the resorts), we enjoy the atmosphere and the details (which are lacking many other places), there are plenty of different experiences to have each trip, and we enjoy the comfort of the familiar things again and again. It has also been interesting to see how things change (or stay the same) as my kids have grown. (First trip my youngest was a baby, last trip my oldest was a teenager)

On the practical side... It's relatively easy to plan. We all enjoy the planning and it's nice to me that I can find practically any detail I'm looking for here. I enjoy being familiar with everything and that leads to less stress/anxiety when I am there. It's also a good monetary value for us. We always go for about two weeks, and for the same price we could maybe go to an amusement park or something for two weekends. We are talking a non-Disney trip to FL next month and for one week (staying with family the second week) it's costing us more than two weeks at Disney.

On a personal note... Disney is a place of wonderful childhood memories for me. Having one parent who is a workaholic and never around and another who has severe mental illness, almost all of the truly happy times I remember are us spending time together and being "normal" at Disney. I enjoy reliving those feelings while I'm there and I know that I am making some wonderful memories for my own children now.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

The ability to spend a week together without wanting to kill one another is priceless
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanDoug
Hi, everyone.
This may seem like a basic question, but what is the value in a Disney vacation? We know that Disney vacations are costly- but we choose to spend the money anyway. So, why do we do it? What value/benefits do you get from going to Disney?

Why do you ask? If you're in financial dire straits, don't go. Seems like there's some rationalizing going on
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanDoug View Post
Hi, everyone.

Memories..wonderful wonderful memories. This is the one vacation spot both my kids love, and where all four of us can enjoy ourselves. The rides, attractions, characters. We have fun, decent food. We have had so many different magical moments, especially when my kids were younger.

It's a place my teenager still wants to go to! LOL..she doesn't want to do anything these days..
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
Sam81
Mouseketeer

It is a very different answer for most people. I think Disney has a shelf-life. When our children were small they loved the rides, characters, fireworks, etc...As they got older they valued sleep, surfing and girls. So we went to Europe and that is our current vacation for July and Hilton Head in August.

I'm not overly concerned on the price as long as my family is having a good time.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

For s it is the joy in our children. One of children is medically fragile and Disney is one of the only laces that we can go and have a good time while still having most i=of his needs taken care of.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: