Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

we got a new car last year,only allowed to put down 2500 on our cc...wouldv'e LOVED to max it out on that car (had the cash to pay it off right away) it would have been quite a few free flights if we had!
hsmamato2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

1) Every dealership is different.
2) There is a simple reason.
3) It costs the dealership money.
4) The dealer PAYS to use the credit card.
. . . VISA/MasterCard = 2.1%-2.5%
. . . Amer Express = $4.4%-6.5%
5) They have to make it up somehow
. . . reduce the profit
. . . reduce the salesman commission
. . . increase the car price
. . . reduce the trade-in allowance
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

If your credit card has a high enough limit, then I would first call them to make sure they temporarily raise the daily limit for the single transaction.

Then calculate what the rewards points would be worth.

Negotiate the price of the car after trade in first, telling them that you are going to pay for it on the spot.

Then once you have the agreed upon price and trade in value in writing, tell them you want to charge the entire amount to your card.

Then if the dealer gives you a hard time about doing it, simply tell them they allow you to charge it all (with no extra charges for using a credit card) or give you the value of the rewards points off the transaction or you are going to go to another dealer who will let you do this. The car industry is so hungry for business right now, they should be more than willing to do this to keep a customer. Especially if you are buying a car that will cost $20K after trade in, as these cars temd to have a higher profit margin, since they are over priced (basically you are either paying for the name or a premium price for features that are nice, but in reality actually cost very little to manufacture and install) I am not saying its not worth paying for those features, just realize that the features cost A LOT less than what the dealer is charging for them.

On that note, there are now several websites that will tell you what the dealer's costs are before you go, I strongly recommend using them. There are also several websites where you can tell it what kind of car you are looking for and your zip code, as well as what your trade in is and it will find a dealer in your area and give you an offer that includes all taxes, dealer fees, etc. Even if you don't use those dealers, I would recommend having an offer in hand when you go to the dealer. We got our car for about $500 less than the offer by negotiating a bit.

To that end when negotiating, make sure you agreed upon price includes all of these fees as well.

Another option may be eBay motors, especially if you are looking for a brand new car. You would need to do your trade in on its own in many cases, but there are many dealers who will buy your car, even if you aren't buying one of theirs now.

Last edited by cmwade77; 03-07-2013 at 09:48 AM.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
njsweetP
DIS Veteran

Just bought a car last Saturday and the max that could go on the credit card was $2500.

1985 First ever trip to WDW!! WDW 1992 WDW 1995 WDW 1996 WDW 1998 WDW 2001
WDW 2004 WDW 2006 WDW 2009 WDW June 2010 WDW June 2011
Disneyland June 2014WDW January 2015 -DD's runDisney!
All trips offsite.
njsweetP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

When I bought my DSs car a few years ago, they only let me put $3000 on it, but every little bit helped.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBWVVBR View Post
Clearly we'd pay it off immediately, so no interest involved. I've been doing much research on this online, and it looks like it IS possible as Visa and Mastercard do not allow their merchants to limit transactions per their merchant agreements. Once I have the deal hammered out on my new car, how do I insist that they allow me to charge it? Do I just get up and walk out or what? I'm not emotionally invested in the new car...there is always another deal. The icing on the cake would be the rewards points for the purchase tho. Thanks!
I don't know. I just bought my Subaru with my Visa for that reason, I hope they don't limit my points!!!!
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

I know my friend paid for her new car with her Visa for the miles offered. Dealership let her put $28k through & she got miles. Another friend charged inground pool for miles & got upwards of $150k when all was said & done.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Brer Shay
compulsive Disney planner

The limit vary by dealer and by what company they use as a credit card processor. You can negotiate all you want, but if their contract with their processor limits them to 3K per transaction per day, they don't have the option to do something differently.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
scard192
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Every dealership is different.
2) There is a simple reason.
3) It costs the dealership money.
4) The dealer PAYS to use the credit card.
. . . VISA/MasterCard = 2.1%-2.5%
. . . Amer Express = $4.4%-6.5%
5) They have to make it up somehow
. . . reduce the profit
. . . reduce the salesman commission
. . . increase the car price
. . . reduce the trade-in allowance
The very reason I was surprised that they let me us my credit card. I had an appointment at the dealer to finalize the pricing and I assumed I would come back a few days later with my checkbook to pay the downpayment. Instead, 2-3 hours later I drove off with my new car having only paid 1/2 of the down payment and not turning over the title to my trade in (it was at home).
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
kiki02
DIS Veteran

WE did. the dealer let us pay for most of it (not all) with a cc.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

My DH just did this for an $8k motorcycle. They charged him 2% more but he still came out ahead with the airline points.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC, 11/15 YC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

When we bought my car the dealership only let us charge $5,000 of it.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #28
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Bought a new SUV 2 months ago, and the dealership only let us charge $3500 on our credit card. I guess it just varies by dealership.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #29
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

My parents did when I was in high school. The put the whole thing on a CC just for the points, and used the points from that to pay toward my dad's car that they also purchased at the same dealership within a couple of months. This was right before GM limited the amount of points you can use toward the purchase of a vehicle. (they really used it to their advantage and put EVERYTHING through that GM card - private school tuition for me and my sister and college tuitions... they used points to get my sister's whole car when she graduated college!)

Also, keep in mind that if you pay cash, they may give you a "cash discount", but if you pay with a credit card, they may not be as willing to deal, as they will have to pay the credit card transaction fees, so they won't see as much profit as they would if you were to write them a check outright.

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #30
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Eight years ago, we charged the full $25,000. Same dealer three years ago had a limit of $2,000 on credit cards.
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: