Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
Personally, in my opinion, I believe that people should use enough common sense that peanuts/peanut butter shoud not be the main food thy depend on on the plane.

And I don't buy the argument about protein/only food my kid/I will eat etc. I have somehow managed to fly without ever eating peanuts or nuts of any kind and I always ave protein based snacks with me. I feel like if I can manage to figure out what to eat that does not have: wheat, nuts, dairy, soy, eggs, broccoli, raw fruit, raw veggie, sesame, oats or coconut
than people shoud be able to figure out non nut based snacks for however long the light is.

But that's just my opinion

And you have every right to your opinion. I just happen to disagree. BTW nobody is asking you to "buy" anything. Facts are facts whether you want to believe them or not. My child will be eating peanut butter on our flight in 2 weeks because, yes, it is all I can bring for him. We would move to another part of the plane if needed but I'm not letting my child go hungry.

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
tinker-belle
Mouseketeer

Hi. Thanks for your replies. Before posting this, I did do lots of research & it seemed southwest & jetblue are the safest. Jetblue never serves peanuts and will create a barrier. Southwest usually serves peanuts, but if they know someone is with an allergy, they won't serve peanuts that flight & will make the announcement.
I also read about getting the seat cover, pre-boarding, wiping down etc.

And I read about getting the first flight of the day, but I'm confused about how southwest travels. I know they don't fly directly cross country. What I'm confused about is when they stop, is it just a stop with no one getting off the plane (it speaks about a half hour wait in Boston), or do people deplane and new people come on/do we switch planes to continue on the flight.... because if we switch plane, we are no longer on the first flight of the day/cleanest flight of the day.

When we go to Florida, we've taken the auto train and gotten our own bedroom to stay 'separate' from the passengers that may be eating nuts. (we don't go into the dining car either). However, to get from the tri-state area all the way to California it's a bit more difficult.

Thanks for all your responses!

January '86- my first trip
July '95- DISNEYMOON!!!!
August '98- First trip for DS
August '99- First trip to disneyland
October 2000- preggie trip
January 2004- First trip for other DS
January 2006---- SURPRISE TRIP, pop century
January 2007---- another surprise trip pulled off, all star music
January 2008--- Hmm, can we pull of another surprise trip? Pop Century!
January 2010---- Yay, going to CBR for DS #3- 1st trip!!!
January 2011!!! Back to Pop!
January 2012 All star sports
JANUARY 2013 Pop Century
JULY 2014 Disneyland
JANUARY 2015 POP
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
tinker-belle
Mouseketeer

how do people with peanut allergies function in the everyday world? I don't mean this as an arguement. But, how do you know that the person ahead of you didn't have peanut dust peanut butter residue or their fingers when they touched that door handle or shopping cart, or whatever just prior to you? I seriously find it hard to believe that you can wash your hands in public that much?? Again not trying to argue, just understand....

Hi. As a mom of a 4 year old who has life threatening allergies- it has been very difficult. We learned of his allergy when he almost died when he was 2 and a half. Since then just buy walking by an open bin of shelled peanuts in shoprite, he broke out in hives and started coughing violently- I got him out of the store & it subsided, but I haven't brought him back since.
We have him registered in a private peanut free school.
However, he's had some 'touch' reactions too-- in fact in disney. His face broke out in hives as well as his ear--- thankfully it ended there, but chances are he hugged a character that someone else did.
We are teaching him not to touch his face after touching other things, but his life did change. He cannot go to his friends houses for playdates, he can't even go to most of our family's homes, or synagogue. We also have cases of baby wipes to help clean things off/him off

Yes, it is a scary world out there for those with life threatening allergies, it's only when I had him (my 3rd child), did I really understand what they mean by, 'it takes a village to raise a child,'.

July '95- DISNEYMOON!!!!
JANUARY 2013 Pop Century
JULY 2014 Disneyland
JANUARY 2015 POP
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker-belle View Post
And I read about getting the first flight of the day, but I'm confused about how southwest travels. I know they don't fly directly cross country. What I'm confused about is when they stop, is it just a stop with no one getting off the plane (it speaks about a half hour wait in Boston), or do people deplane and new people come on/do we switch planes to continue on the flight.... because if we switch plane, we are no longer on the first flight of the day/cleanest flight of the day.
Southwest does a lot of stops. Passengers continuing on to the next destination will remain onboard. It all depends on whether you are taking a "direct" flight with stops, or multiple connecting flights. A direct flight with stops will begin at point A, travel through other airports to destination Z, but you remain on the same airplane (think of it like taking the train or bus). If the flight number remains the same along the route (say Boston to Newark to Chicago) then you will stay on the plane. If the flight number changes for each leg, you might have "connecting" flights which means leaving the first plane and boarding another airplane. I'm not 100% certain, so your best bet is to call the airline directly to confirm whether you can stay onboard or if the itinerary requires changing planes.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Last edited by lanejudy; 03-08-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Southwest does a lot of stops. Passengers continuing on to the next destination will remain onboard. It all depends on whether you are taking a "direct" flight with stops, or multiple connecting flights. A direct flight with stops will begin at point A, travel through other airports to destination Z, but you remain on the same airplane (think of it like taking the train or bus). If the flight number remains the same along the route (say Boston to Newark to Chicago) then you will stay on the plane. If the flight number changes for each leg, you might have "connecting" flights which means leaving the first plane and boarding another airplane. I'm not 100% certain, so your best bet is to call the airline directly to confirm whether you can stay onboard or if the itinerary requires changing planes.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!
A direct flight can have a plane change (no flight number change).
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #21
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
A direct flight can have a plane change (no flight number change).
Thanks, that's what I wasn't 100% sure about and suggested checking with the airline.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
gladdiola
Earning My Ears

Hi OP, my DS7 has life-threatening food allergies to peanuts, treenuts, etc. We've travelled multiple airlines around the country and find if you plan ahead most will work with you to minimize your child's exposure to allergens. When I make flight reservations I do contact the airline directly to ensure my special needs are noted. I also speak to the agents at the gate who are typically already informed of our special/dietary needs. Personally I find Southwest, Delta and United very accommodating of food allergies, all have made announcements and do not serve peanuts on the flight. While the staff will do their best, not all passengers are as sympathetic, so just be prepared-- have 2 Epi-pens and plenty of Benadryl handy.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
mistysue
DIS Veteran

What always puzzles me about this conversation, is that I totally get how easy it is to pack nuts as a snack. My family is crazy about peanut butter, it's in and on everything... I'm not sure my grandfather ate a meal in his life without it, but once my son had an allergy they all said "ok" and stopped putting it right by him.
So I get how easy it is to pack PBJ for your kids if you have never even had to think about it.

What is crazy, is how anybody can read somebody saying how it threatens their life and respond by shrugging and saying "too bad, I like it so you can deal with possibly dying for me not to change a habit." A situation where there is a health issue that specifically calls for peanut or nut consumption is an exception- but that is generally only with some sort of sensory issue and it is NOT common.

It would never occur to me that if somebody said "hey, you might kill me if you eat this one specific thing during this one specific 3 hour window" that I could respond with "no, screw you." It's really depressing to me that anybody would think acting that way is acceptable ever.

I like vacations.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Just to play devils advocate (I am not siding with any particular side, ut I enjoy friendly debate).

My friend has very complex medical problems. As part of that, she cannot eat meat. She also has a latex allergy which is life threatening, and she cannot eat soy (I think also due to allergies) She does, however, need to eat protein. What kind of snack can she easily bring on the plane if not peanuts or tree nuts.

I really am not making up this scenario... I understand needing to avoid bringing tree nuts or peanuts, but if you cannot eat meat (for medical or religious reasons, or whatever), then what is a person to eat?

And no, she cannot go without eating.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
tinker-belle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Just to play devils advocate (I am not siding with any particular side, ut I enjoy friendly debate).

My friend has very complex medical problems. As part of that, she cannot eat meat. She also has a latex allergy which is life threatening, and she cannot eat soy (I think also due to allergies) She does, however, need to eat protein. What kind of snack can she easily bring on the plane if not peanuts or tree nuts.

I really am not making up this scenario... I understand needing to avoid bringing tree nuts or peanuts, but if you cannot eat meat (for medical or religious reasons, or whatever), then what is a person to eat?

And no, she cannot go without eating.
I'm actually a vegetarian too (not for medical reasons) and until my son was diagnosed, peanut butter was my source of protein. Since he was diagnosed 2 years ago I haven't had any nuts either nor meat. I don't have the best diet- I do have veggie burgers & cheese now. It can be difficult--- we did a 32 hour trip to get to disneyworld (driving to the auto train & then delayed 5 hours on the train) & we had to pack enough food to sustain us for an entire day, but managed. A flight of just a few hours will be easy for us compared to the trip to get to the world!

July '95- DISNEYMOON!!!!
JANUARY 2013 Pop Century
JULY 2014 Disneyland
JANUARY 2015 POP
Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
"no, screw you."

Where did anyone else say that besides you?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

Falls into the same place as people not giving up their seat on a bus to someone who is obviously frail and could be easily injured. People are often far more into themselves and their wants rather than their fellow person's needs.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #28
Casemily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218

Where did anyone else say that besides you?
You didn't actually say it, but I saw the implied tough luck for you/ too bad for you/screw you in your post too. obviously a more inflaming choice of words, but same meaning.

From your post:
My child will be eating peanut butter on our flight in 2 weeks because, yes, it is all I can bring for him. We would move to another part of the plane if needed but I'm not letting my child go hungry.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #29
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemily View Post
You didn't actually say it, but I saw the implied tough luck for you/ too bad for you/screw you in your post too. obviously a more inflaming choice of words, but same meaning.

From your post:
My child will be eating peanut butter on our flight in 2 weeks because, yes, it is all I can bring for him. We would move to another part of the plane if needed but I'm not letting my child go hungry.
I implied no such thing. My child isn't eating pb because it's all he wants, it's all he can eat. That isn't a "screw you", it's a fact. We would move as far away as possible but he also has a disability and has to eat. By your assuming standards, then the person with an allergy would be implying "screw you" to his needs. Neither of those are true. I posted about my son's needs so that the OP would understand that they might not be the only person with a medical condition on the plane and that even though peanut snacks aren't served they could very well still be on the plane. I have no idea why you took it any other way.

Last edited by Kellykins1218; 03-08-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Casemily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218

I implied no such thing. My child isn't eating pb because it's all he wants, it's all he can eat. That isn't a "screw you", it's a fact. We would move as far away as possible but he also has a disability and has to eat. By your assuming standards, then the person with an allergy would be implying "screw you" to his needs. Neither of those are true. I posted about my son's needs so that the OP would understand that they might not be the only person with a medical condition on the plane and that even though peanut snacks aren't served they could very well still be on the plane. I have no idea why you took it any other way.
I took it that way because mainly I've never heard of a diet consisting of only pb and j and nothing else. I did not know it was healthy enough to only ever eat pb and j. Plus, if I was allergic to peanuts like the op, I'd like the option to be rebooked on another flight if I knew someone else had to eat peanuts on the flight I was on. I didn't originally read where the person with the peanut allergy would be forewarned prior to take off and given the option not to fly with you. That's why I took it "any other way". No offense meant, just explaining how I interpreted your words, which I'm sure others may have as well.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: